• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Razorback

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
What is the difference between a Gara and a World Cup?

In all descriptions it says: The Grand Prix is identical to the World Cup, with 10 percent more OMFit cork composite.
So i assume there are more differences between a Gara and a Worldcup than just 10 percent more OMFit cork composite?
I have seen people writing that the Gara is higher? and in the video on the lineup page of the Zipfit site you can see that the red/brown boot is higher than the blue/black

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What is the difference between a Gara and a World Cup?

In all descriptions it says: The Grand Prix is identical to the World Cup, with 10 percent more OMFit cork composite.
So i assume there are more differences between a Gara and a Worldcup than just 10 percent more OMFit cork composite?
I have seen people writing that the Gara is higher? and in the video on the lineup page of the Zipfit site you can see that the red/brown boot is higher than the blue/black

I have 3 of the Gara liners and 2 of the WC. I don't think there's any difference between them other than the amount of OMFit initially put into the bladders. You will find more difference due to changes from year to year that they make to the overall design.

However, the Grand Prix sure seems to have more "material" everywhere. It's not just a difference in cork. That liner is just plain bigger; more thickness in the upper cuff and larger through the ankle area. I bought one and had to sell it, as I couldn't make it work. I recommend that anyone considering a ZipFit stick to the Gara or WC. The GP would only fit in a shell that's really too big for your foot to start with.

Reactions: BMC

Razorback

Skier
I have 3 of the Gara liners and 2 of the WC. I don't think there's any difference between them other than the amount of OMFit initially put into the bladders. You will find more difference due to changes from year to year that they make to the overall design.

However, the Grand Prix sure seems to have more "material" everywhere. It's not just a difference in cork. That liner is just plain bigger; more thickness in the upper cuff and larger through the ankle area. I bought one and had to sell it, as I couldn't make it work. I recommend that anyone considering a ZipFit stick to the Gara or WC. The GP would only fit in a shell that's really too big for your foot to start with.
So me that had problems with cramp in the calfs before removing the spoiler in my Fischer boots should really avoid the GP´s then to not risk getting any additional material in the calf area.
So either a Gara with a couple of additional OMfit tubes or a WC then, thanks.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was surprised how little cork material is in my new Gara ( 1st time using Zipfits ).
I was anticipating issues and problems but my foot slipped right in and the liners slipped right in the shell at room temperature.
I think that’s a good thing and it makes sense to me that all the other models would and should be puffier than the Gara.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
So me that had problems with cramp in the calfs before removing the spoiler in my Fischer boots should really avoid the GP´s then to not risk getting any additional material in the calf area.
You may then consider the freestyle models, They have a different cuff design , That design is available in all models I belive, they are also available in the sidewinder model. so you have lots of options depending on your needs.

Razorback

Skier
You may then consider the freestyle models, They have a different cuff design , That design is available in all models I belive, they are also available in the sidewinder model. so you have lots of options depending on your needs.
Assume you are referring to the somewhat secret freeride model? i have only seen this availible as Grand Prix? I assume that slotted spoiler (also found on the Diva model) is designed to give away a bit easier in the calf area, which would be good, but as long as I don´t know if there are more material in the shafts in this model than in the Gara it feels a bit like gambling.
zipfit-grand-prix-freeride-stealth-leather-24-24-5cm-1-828.jpg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

European rep of ZipFit carries only WC and GP-the sidewinder versions.
When asked about Gara they said they saw no reason to sell it as the WC does the job better for tighter, snugger fitting shells.
I am on RS 130, not crazy tight, got the WC, very nice.

Razorback

Skier
Anyone with some more intel on the Freeride model?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Anyone with some more intel on the Freeride model?

The rear cuff is designed for walk mode boots. It permits the cuff to stretch rearward much more than the rest of the liner models. I don't know how it compares to the rest of the models volume-wise. My suspicion is that it's the GP model with an altered rear cuff.

P.S. I think this site confirms that the Freeride is indeed a modified GP.

Last edited:

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The rear cuff is designed for walk mode boots. It permit the cuff to stretch rearward much more than the rest of the liner models. I don't know how it compares to the rest of the models volume-wise. My suspicion is that it's the GP model with an altered rear cuff.

P.S. I think this site confirms that the Freeride is indeed a modified GP.
This is the model I have and I’m pretty sure that Superior called it a GP when I purchased from them last March

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did see you modification photo and nice write up.
The heater cord and liner into shell just takes some retraining of my brain to
GET THE PLUG END of the heater cord out of the way so it’s not trapped down in the shell.

My morning ritual is super warm shell, then ZFs on with heater cord end up in my pants powder cuff. If I can remember this, the rest is a no brainer.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I did see you modification photo and nice write up.
The heater cord and liner into shell just takes some retraining of my brain to
GET THE PLUG END of the heater cord out of the way so it’s not trapped down in the shell.

My morning ritual is super warm shell, then ZFs on with heater cord end up in my pants powder cuff. If I can remember this, the rest is a no brainer.

I've only ripped off two plugs forgetting to do this and then impatiently just yanking the cord up hoping to dislodge the plug.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought a new pair Grand Prix Freeride Sidewinder last month, The web site says sidewinder is available in all models but not sure freeride is available in all models. I suspect @Noodler is correct its GP only. A call to Zipfit may answer the question. I dealt with them directly and I got my questions answered as well as some advice. My son bought the same model 2 years ago and was impressed how his skiing improved.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
@jmills115 I used the video on the zipfit web site , I tried to get it to load here but I failed, its relatively easy, but the video explains the chambers you need to place the tube to inject.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I watched it previously but since @Noodler is the guru thought I would ask him before adding any

I learned from the official ZipFit videos, pictures of the bladders (posted elsewhere on the site), dissecting a pair of old liners, and doing a bunch of it myself over the years.

A few tips:
  1. Measure your feet and legs to determine if they take up similar or different volumes. Due to my accident, my right foot/leg is significantly larger in circumference/spread than my left. So the right liner is going to have less cork in it (unless the shell has already been blown out for the size difference).
  2. Weigh your liners before adding more cork. Knowing the liner weights will help you assess how much cork you've added to the bladders.
  3. Mark the plunger with hash marks to provide guidance as to how much cork has been pushed out of the tube into the liner. The hash marks will help you keep track of the plunger depth.
  4. Warm one full tube of cork for 60 seconds on high in a microwave to soften it before dispensing.
  5. Hand massaging the cork after it has been added will improve the distribution of the cork to where you need it.

You almost never need to add cork to the ankle bladders unless you have really skinny ankles in a shell that provides a "comfort" fit. If you need more heel hold down power then usually you will add more cork to the tongue.

Note that over the years the entry points have changed a bit in the different models. Most models have a tab that is pulled apart to "expose" the opening for the tube. Pulling the tabs apart can be challenging the first time. There were model years where the tongue did not have separate tabs that you pull apart and instead had a single tab that is pulled forward away from the tongue while the tube is slipped in between.

Razorback

Skier
Been rocking the free ride all season ~ 80days and super happy with everything but the footbed heater cord on the rear.
At 60-65 days I added a tube of cork, 1/4 tube at each side of each heel.

View attachment 98112
No doubt that those freerides are GP´s at least, since its even printed on the boot.

Sponsor

Staff online