• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which hard case?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Transpack Jet double hard case
---or---
Sportube Series 2 double hard case

I've borrowed a Sportube Series 2, awkward but got the job done. Both are the same price. Which one should I buy?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see no real difference between the two.
I have Sportube Series 3. It works.

The sales pitch of the Transpack guy made me laugh: "After 3 years of R&D, we came with this" lol, I have been using a Flambeau Bazuka rod case since I can remember, same principle.

BTW, it its about time somebody made a ski case based on this principle:

Nature_Boys_ima0001(1).jpg

Sportubes and suchlike are super super clumsy and difficult to load.

Last edited:

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have had the Sporttube 2 for 5 years now and although bulky does a good job at protecting the ski's and I am able to get many of my extra clothes in there too. I am very happy with it

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have had the Sporttube 2 for 5 years now and although bulky does a good job at protecting the ski's and I am able to get many of my extra clothes in there too. I am very happy with it

Also have used a double Sport Tube for 6+ years. It's been handled by Ship Skis (Fed Ex) twice, and by the airlines the rest. The case has scrapes, scratches and dings, but the contents have always been undamaged. With the the two packing tubes, my gf and I can put enough clothing, gloves, etc. in the tube that our suitcases are 7-8 lbs. under the weight limit, even for a two week trip.

That said, it's a royal pain to load. Skis have to be aligned just so, poles just barely fit and several nylon straps and ski ties are needed. Then, the whole assembly has to be slid into the tube. Pretty much a two person task, and a real relationship tester. For me, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I also have a sport tube 2 for 6 years. I did have to tie a string to the pin after DELTA LOST IT!
I like that my skis/bindings are not bashed by the baggage gorrillas.

I don't have any problem loading my skis- usually a front side carver and a fatty for powder.
I put one in pair then the poles, then the other set. I do it by myself in about 3minutes.
Baggage handlers have somehow cut one of the velcro straps on one side :-(

I used to have a soft bag and would bubble wrap my bindings and pack w/clothes but I got tired of TSA going thru my clothes :-(

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have a Transpack hard case that can be had for $20.00 plus shipping.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
I also have a sport tube 2 for 6 years. I did have to tie a string to the pin after DELTA LOST IT!
I like that my skis/bindings are not bashed by the baggage gorrillas.

I don't have any problem loading my skis- usually a front side carver and a fatty for powder.
I put one in pair then the poles, then the other set. I do it by myself in about 3minutes.
Baggage handlers have somehow cut one of the velcro straps on one side :-(

I used to have a soft bag and would bubble wrap my bindings and pack w/clothes but I got tired of TSA going thru my clothes :-(

Without the packing cubes the tube is easy to load. The packs make fitting the two sets of poles a challenge. Once loaded, though, the tight fit keeps everything in place. The nice thing about shipping the tube via UPS or FedEx is that they don't open it up like the TSA does (at least, I haven't seen any evidence of being opened).

Sponsor