• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which bindings for the Kastle MX84?

istin

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I just purchased a flat pair of MX84s in the 176cm length. This is my first time choosing bindings and I really don't know what factors to consider. I'd love it if someone knowledgable could point me in the right direction and clear up some of the confusion.

Kastle says the K12 TRI GW bindings are designed for the RX and MX models. I would assume this is the optimal choice for the MX84, but I don't see any online retailers listing this binding as a stand-alone product. However, I do see a few retailers selling the MX84 with K13 Attack2 GW bindings. Kastle says the Attack2 is ideal for their all mountain and freeride models.

Within the context of the MX84, is there a substantial performance benefit to using the K12 TRI over the K13 Attack2?
If so, and in the case that I can't find the K12 TRI, what's the 2nd best option? Use a different race binding from Tyrolia? Use the K13 Attack2?
Finally, this is going to be a groomer ski for me, but if I want to take it on more bump runs, will this change any of your answers?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't overthink it. Kästle bindings are relabeled Tyrolias anyway.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now is absolutely the time to over think it..all we have at the moment is time. ;) Especially if the person is asking. A better binding will enhance the performance of the ski and when you are buying a ski that has a comma in the price, you want to get the most out of your money. If you want a Kastle branded or Tyrolia binding, the race derived bindings are a great way to go. My first choice would be the upcoming Look Pivot 15, it is laterally rigid and has a short wheelbase allowing the Kastle to flex smooth and round as you pressure the ski into an arc.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ binding guy

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug now you’re making me rethink my decision to order attack2s for my Stormriders... at potentially great cost. :) They are coming out this Fall correct?

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
@istinson, the Kastle binding you mention is a rebranded Tyrolia PRD if I’m not mistaken. It is adjustable like a demo binding, allowing you to effectively play with different mount points. If you have any doubt about where you want to mount the bindings, or if you want to experiment, it could be a good way to go. @Philpug’s recommendation may implicitly indicate that the K12/PRD rail system will impact flex.

This is topical for me because I also have the K12 CTI that I would ideally like to share with several skis I just bought (covid spending... argh!) - ranging from 68mm race construction to 93mm. I like the adjustable binding idea a lot for the mount-point benefits mentioned above, being able to share skis with my son, and the ease of taking the bindings off for travel. I don’t, however, want to negatively impact performance. I may start a different thread so I don’t derail yours, but I thought I’d give you a few of the considerations in my head.

One more thing: if you’re buying bindings online, be sure to consider boot compatibility.

And another: the Freeflex binding mentioned above is available in a demo version if you find you like the adjustable binding idea.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:rolleyes:

Let's ratchet it up some more for the OP. Maybe s/he should get a longer ski, too. Maybe an MX99!

After Phil's post I was thinking I'd been a little too laissez-faire in my advice, but now I'm back where I was.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
EVO has the Pivot 18 deals. Also have 12 and 14s but at less of a discount, so similar price to the 18 without the metal toes. Corbetts had even cheaper prices (but in Canadian dollars) but only certain brake widths on the Pivot 12 and 14 remain.

Reactions: BC.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Going to be tough to find a pivot B-85... I wouldn't put a 95 on an MX 84. Nope. It doesn't fold and tuck up out of the way... but if they have the 85 brake...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Going to be tough to find a pivot B-85... I wouldn't put a 95 on an MX 84. Nope. It doesn't fold and tuck up out of the way... but if they have the 85 brake...
Do they make an 85 brake? I've only seen 75, 95, and on. I have a 95 on my 88 mm skis with no problem though.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My boy sub 100 lbs broke a 11 din. The moving parts in demo bindings should be stronger than you think they need to be. There is missing footage of his cliff dropping so shennanigans aside i am ok with my 13s

Sponsor

Staff online