• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hello,
I hope this is the correct place to post this.
I have been on Epic ski and Pugski for some time. I have purchased skis based on recommendatons by Phil Pug and have been pleased. I am now over 60 and the Epic Pass that I bought also covers lifts in the summer. I did some single track on a Trek over 20 years ago. This concludes my massive knowledge of mountain biking. I would like to buy a couple of bikes for my wife and myself and have no clue what to get. The purpose would be to be able to ride them on the mountain with my Epic seasons pass as well to do general riding when we go camping etc. I am not looking to win the Olympic X-games but rather just try to get in better shape for skiing. I do not need anything state of the art or even close to it. I found this bike on Amazon and I believe it is also on Bikes.com it is the
2018 Gravity FSX 2.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike Shimano Acera Suntour $399 with free shipping.
any input on this for my purposes? Alterrnatives? Thanks in advance for the help in this buying decision.

TS
B

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Rather it is also on Bikesdirect.com. We are looking to purchase for this coming spring and are in no major hurry.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There's a reason that bike is $399: 15 year old bike tech, and quite far from best-of-class 15 years ago, too.

See if you can find something with 29 inch wheels and hydraulic discs within your budget.

Without even talking about performance aspects, 26 inch wheels, budget mechanical discs (and quick release axles!) are not going to be future-proof and are not going to be replacement-friendly. \

Unless you're looking for a throwaway winter bike or a beach cruiser, don't bother with this one. It's about as far from being state of the art as Rodney Dangerfield is from being a Kenyan distance runner.

EDIT: From a performance aspect, look for camping excursion/ skills clinic bikes. Rent your lift-served steeds.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello,
I hope this is the correct place to post this.
I have been on Epic ski and Pugski for some time. I have purchased skis based on recommendatons by Phil Pug and have been pleased. I am now over 60 and the Epic Pass that I bought also covers lifts in the summer. I did some single track on a Trek over 20 years ago. This concludes my massive knowledge of mountain biking. I would like to buy a couple of bikes for my wife and myself and have no clue what to get. The purpose would be to be able to ride them on the mountain with my Epic seasons pass as well to do general riding when we go camping etc. I am not looking to win the Olympic X-games but rather just try to get in better shape for skiing. I do not need anything state of the art or even close to it. I found this bike on Amazon and I believe it is also on Bikes.com it is the
2018 Gravity FSX 2.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike Shimano Acera Suntour $399 with free shipping.
any input on this for my purposes? Alterrnatives? Thanks in advance for the help in this buying decision.

You want to ride up the lift in Vail, Keystone, etc and ride down the trails in that??? :eek::eek::eek:

For cruising on flat bike paths those bikes are fine (a hardtail would be cheaper, simpler and more reliable for that)

I know you are not even remotely looking to sending it on downhill trails but check out these videos:

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Weather you go new or used your probably looking for something along these lines at the very least.
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2019-mountain-full-suspension-trail-27.5-hawk-hill-1

You can probably pick up something comperable in a 26er for around $500 with low mileage if your looking to get out there and see if you get hooked before blowing a huge wad of cash. If your mostly going downhill a 26er is perfectly suitable to your needs

TS
B

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I like this video for getting into the right headspace for a first bike. It focuses on hardtails, given the budget, for good reasons...
Very informative. Thanks for posting it. I assume that in regards to bikes I must become better educated in order to buy the correct ones for my wife and myself based on what we want to use them for. Pretty much the same as when purchasing expert level skis. One size does not fit all.

TS
B

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
There's a reason that bike is $399: 15 year old bike tech, and quite far from best-of-class 15 years ago, too.

See if you can find something with 29 inch wheels and hydraulic discs within your budget.

Without even talking about performance aspects, 26 inch wheels, budget mechanical discs (and quick release axles!) are not going to be future-proof and are not going to be replacement-friendly. \

Unless you're looking for a throwaway winter bike or a beach cruiser, don't bother with this one. It's about as far from being state of the art as Rodney Dangerfield is from being a Kenyan distance runner.

EDIT: From a performance aspect, look for camping excursion/ skills clinic bikes. Rent your lift-served steeds.
Thanks for the good information.

TS
B

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Weather you go new or used your probably looking for something along these lines at the very least.
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2019-mountain-full-suspension-trail-27.5-hawk-hill-1

You can probably pick up something comperable in a 26er for around $500 with low mileage if your looking to get out there and see if you get hooked before blowing a huge wad of cash. If your mostly going downhill a 26er is perfectly suitable to your needs
Where would be a good place to look for good quality used bikes?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That is so funny and true, it could be applied to skiing as well.

They got the skier (and others) version too...
Where would be a good place to look for good quality used bikes?

I was able to find entry level HT for my family on local craigslist that were 1-2 years old at about 30-40% of retail.
That said, they all needed a little work, tuning, truing. I probably wouldn't do this with full suspension bikes, because, just like skis, the more advanced players wear out their toys faster. I'm always cautious of the bike that has had upgrades just before a sale. Ymmv

TS
B

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
They got the skier (and others) version too...

I was able to find entry level HT for my family on local craigslist that were 1-2 years old at about 30-40% of retail.
That said, they all needed a little work, tuning, truing. I probably wouldn't do this with full suspension bikes, because, just like skis, the more advanced players wear out their toys faster. I'm always cautious of the bike that has had upgrades just before a sale. Ymmv
Thanks for the info. I have been looking on Ebay. I will also look on Craigslist. I am just trying to get educated now. If and when I find something that I think is a good deal I will post it here to see if members here think it is a buy or not. I feel pretty fortunate that I have this site as a resource in determining which bike to buy.

TS
B

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier

Nice bike. If you see something like this for around this price please PM me. Or if you see something else that you think is a good buy for me or my wife. Thanks

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Anyone have any comments about the Scott 740, or 745 models? Durable, responsive?

I'm looking to replace my cracked frame xc Jamis and came across a few leftover 2017 Scotts.

All of these outdoor sports are getting expensive.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have any comments about the Scott 740, or 745 models? Durable, responsive?

I'm looking to replace my cracked frame xc Jamis and came across a few leftover 2017 Scotts.

All of these outdoor sports are getting expensive.

Depends on the model....Scott makes a 740 Genius, Scale, Spark, Aspect...They all offer something different to the rider. The Aspect being their entry level, Spark is their XC style full suspension, Scale is their hardtail, and Genius is their trail full suspension bike.

Overall with Scott, I've been very happy with them...enough to currently own 3, but have owned 5 different models (Genius, Spark, Scale, Voltage and Gambler).

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Depends on the model....

Overall with Scott, I've been very happy with them...enough to currently own 3, but have owned 5 different models (Genius, Spark, Scale, Voltage and Gambler).

I forgot that part!
The Spark line is what I'm looking at.

Sponsor

Staff online