• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Which Aspen areas for a 3 day trip?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you ski off the top of Mammoth I would say that yes you can ski Highlands Bowl.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Oh man... there was a good thread on EpicSki about intermediates and being prepared to ski Highland Bowl... really great take and checklist of skills to consider... I'll see if I can find it in the Wayback Machine.

EDIT : Found it!

Is Highlands Bowl a realistic option for an intermediate to upper-intermediate skier?

@Bob Barnes post on page 3 was particular complete and good (Bob is a Highlands instructor):
https://web.archive.org/web/2015102...e-to-upper-intermediate-skier/60#post_1810571

Thanks. Good reading.
It's my twenty year wedding anniversary trip and I was hoping Highlands Bowl could be some memorable bonding for my wife and myself. After reading that I think I'm good to go but I may be pushing it by encouraging my wife to do it. She tends to revert to a traverse too much in really steep areas.
I would like to say that she would be better prepared in coming years but as a 45 year old woman from sub tropical Australia that skis about 15 days per year it's likely that she (and I for that matter) is stuck in 'permanent intermediate' territory.
Maybe we'll just have to bond at the Cloud Nine après party.:beercheer:

Pity my kids aren't coming with us this time. My twelve year old son would love that experience. Like a lot of young lads he has no fear.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Thanks. Good reading.
It's my twenty year wedding anniversary trip and I was hoping Highlands Bowl could be some memorable bonding for my wife and myself. After reading that I think I'm good to go but I may be pushing it by encouraging my wife to do it. She tends to revert to a traverse too much in really steep areas.
I would like to say that she would be better prepared in coming years but as a 45 year old woman from sub tropical Australia that skis about 15 days per year it's likely that she (and I for that matter) is stuck in 'permanent intermediate' territory.
Maybe we'll just have to bond at the Cloud Nine après party.:beercheer:

Pity my kids aren't coming with us this time. My twelve year old son would love that experience. Like a lot of young lads he has no fear.
If it is something BOTH of you would enjoy, then an answer is to take a private lesson. A ski pro can help both of you get prepared on less intimidating terrain, then guide you on the hike and select a line That is appropriate for both of you.

@Bob Barnes would be a great choice.

mike

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If it is something BOTH of you would enjoy, then an answer is to take a private lesson. A ski pro can help both of you get prepared on less intimidating terrain, then guide you on the hike and select a line That is appropriate for both of you.

mike

I did a private lesson with Bob once.... highly recommended!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Btw, since Breck and Copper where my stomping grounds for years and I’ve extensively skied winter park as well as many areas of Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, and British Columbia, I’ll say that there is very little that compares to Highlands Bowl. The bowl is vast, similar to the vastness available off of Spankys at Blackcomb, with fewer cliffs. The hike is incredible and will be an event in itself, like where you have to siddle around the rock with a 50 degree slope below you. And it isn’t a minor physical effort — 800 vertical feet without the cat ride, which only cuts 150 vertical off.

Perhaps the closest area comparable would be the side country of Green River and Rock Springs Bowls at Jackson. HB is a classic that should be sampled by any advanced skier, but there is plenty of other terrain at Highlands to keep you entertained without the hike.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter

mike

I second this. My first Highland Bowl trip was with Bob Barnes at an Epic Ski Academy. Very confidence inspiring!

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, Aspen/Snowmass has "locals clinics" which are $95.00 per day. They have 3 Highland Bowl Expedition days which are: January 12, February 3 and February 21. There is an instructor who takes the group up the Bowl. Mike King and I did one last year with Annie Black. It was very fun and you have a guide.

There are "bumps and steeps" and women's only clinics on various days which are really fun. The clinics are more "guided skiing with tips" as opposed to a full on lesson. See schedule below.

BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE SKI & SNOWBOARD
November 29 - Snowmass
November 30 - Snowmass
December 9 - Buttermilk

INTRODUCTION TO PARK & PIPE
Ski & Snowboard
January 8 - Snowmass
January 19 - Snowmass
February 23 - Buttermilk

WOMEN'S ONLY
Ski & Snowboard
December 7 - Aspen Mountain
January 5 - Aspen Highlands
January 10 & 11 - Snowmass
February 2 - Aspen Highlands
February 23 - Aspen Highlands
March 7 - Snowmass
April 3 - Aspen Mountain

BUMPS & STEEPS
Ski Only
January 7 - Aspen Mountain
January 7- Buttermilk
January 12 - Snowmass
January 26 - Aspen Highlands
February 19 - Aspen Mountain
February 19 - Buttermilk
February 22 - Aspen Mountain
March 1 - Aspen Highlands
TELEMARK - ALL LEVELS
December 1 - Snowmass
January 5 - Snowmass
February 9 - Snowmass

HIGHLAND BOWL EXPEDITIONS
Ski & Snowboard
January 12 - Aspen Highlands
February 3 - Aspen Highlands
February 21 - Aspen Highlands

INTRODUCTION TO RACING
Ski Only
February 2 - Aspen Highlands
February 23 - Aspen Mountain

SNOWMASS DOUBLE-DIAMOND EXPEDITIONS
Ski & Snowboard
January 25 - Snowmass
February 2 - Snowmass
February 29 - Snowmass

UPHILLING
Ski & Snowboard

December 13 - Buttermilk
February 7 - Buttermilk

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wouldn't spend the cash for a private instructor to take you on the Bowl hike. So much of the time will just be spent hiking which doesn't involve a huge amount of skill, just a matter of fitness and fatigue management. I would instead say take the instruction where you are learning the skills without the super long hike.

To do the bowl hike itself, what I did, and what I would recommend the free guided tour by ambassadors and patrol they have every wednesday (do need to signup as it is limited). They can show you the way safely and as a group. However, you better like hiking and you also should be ski advanced terrain or at least be able to work your way down any terrain safely. If you aren't already keen on 2hour hikes for fun at home or other equivalent length cardio, this is at best going to be type2 fun, and not the memories you want to create.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier

mike

We’ve never done lessons which I now understand is foolish. I’m concerned a lesson would tear our ski techniques apart to the point that we’re beginners again. I don’t know I want that.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We’ve never done lessons which I now understand is foolish. I’m concerned a lesson would tear our ski techniques apart to the point that we’re beginners again. I don’t know I want that.

No worries. It doesn't work that way. A good instructor will keep what is good, discard what is bad and replace the bad with something else that is better. It is not break you down completely so they can recreate you in their image type of thing.

Trust me, once you start down the lesson path, you'll wonder why you didn't start doing it earlier.
Go to the Taos mini gathering thread and you can see the testimonials to how valuable ski lessons can be. If you look past all the trash there (It's mostly just friendly banter). Everyone who is going to the gathering are there for one single reason. No, it's not @dbostedo irresistible good look. They are all there for the ski week. Rather convincing if you count how many are second year gatherers.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

The best instructors are the ones that can watch you ski and suggest minor technique changes that make major differences.

Ken in LA

Pulling down the safety bar
Skier
@John O I just love Aspen. Here is my take:

BUTTERMILK
  • Prettiest view over Aspen
  • Wonderful, mellow groomers will delight your wife
  • Lots of trees, good on low-visibility powder days
ASPEN MTN (AJAX)
  • Also plenty of tree cover and good on lower visibility powder days
  • Nice to warm-up in the Gondola between laps on cold days
  • Rich variety & quantity of terrain considering the size of the resort.
  • Something magical about taking the Gondola to the top of the mountain directly from town.
SNOWMASS
  • A delightful resort for skiers of all levels. There is everything here. Another wonderful choice for you to enjoy with your wife.
  • If conditions permit, the Cirque is a must. The excitement builds on the Rocky Mountain High Poma. This is a good run to ask someone to show you because some of the trails are more technical than others
  • Many wide-open runs. Heaven on a bluebird day, but can be difficulty to see on low-visibility powder days.
  • Enjoy your morning coffee and view’s galore from Sam’s Smokehouse
  • The bar at Gwyn’s high alpine is a very friendly
HIGHLANDS
  • Most advanced terrain in Aspen
  • As @JoeSchmoe mentioned, your terrain options might be limited if if conditions are not Ideal
  • Most authentic European-style wild apès party I’ve experienced stateside is the 2PM lunchtime seating at Cloud Nine Bistro... except maybe 3x the price you would pay in France. I hated myself for a whole 30 seconds after the waiter presented the bill (being middle class over-rated).
ASPEN (General Impressions & Tips)
  • I best enjoyed my days skiing alone because the people I met on the lifts and in the bars were fascinating and beyond friendly.
  • On a non-ski day, the cafe on top of the Aspen Art Museum is a great place for lunch with exceptional views of Ajax.
  • Aspen “Downtowner” is a free shuttle service, all you need to do is download the app. Basically it is like a free Uber ride except the vehicle is not heated.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Per a long thread in Epicski, you shouldn't go because Aspen Mountain is tiny and the other three don't count.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
All this Aspen talk combined with CO's crazy October snowfall plus killer early season lodging deals has led me to book Aspen as my December trip this year. Can't wait!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
There’s many rationales to take a lesson. It maybe to have a guide to the resort, particularly complex terrain that you might not (likely would not) find on your own. Another is to be guided to the best snow — a guide will understand the weather, exposures, and visitor traffic so you are most likely to get the best conditions. Another is to match terrain with ability so you aren’t put in terrain that might be overly challenging, underchallenging, or deadly given your skills, equipment and snow conditions. Finally, it might be to work on elements of technique, will, tactics, or touch.

the thing to realize is that it is about YOU. What do you want? As instructors, our job is to find out what you want and work to provide you with that.
I became an instructor because I wanted to improve my own skiing. My motivation shifted in my second year teaching at Breckenridge. I met a man and his son on the chair before lineup and the dad said they wanted to ski the high alpine terrain. The dad said he considered hiring an instructor but his son had had enough of lessons as a kid that he didn’t want to do so. I mentioned the reasons above and they decided to hire me. We rode the TBar and patrol dropped the rope in front of us on 6” of fresh in the front bowl. The son was ecstatic. I then took them up peak 6 and we hiked to the top of the ridge and skied 6 Senses.

on the return to lunch, the dad and I rode the TBar together. He told me how much the day meant to his son and he as he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and this was the experience he wanted to leave with his son. It changed my perspective on teaching and further ignited my desire to share my passion for skiing with others.

but the point is that we, as ski professionals, try to create experiences for you. Based on what you want.

it isn’t cheap, but experiences usually aren’t.
Mike

TS
John O

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just wanted to give an update on this as we just got back from our trip.

After being there, all the information here was pretty spot on I felt like. The trip didn't work out exactly like I thought back in October when I started the thread, but that's not surprising. My wife didn't end up skiing at all (long story), and I did end up stretching things to 4 days of skiing.

I was visiting a family member who lives there who I didn't expect to want to ski every day with me (she prefers blue groomers, in general). We skied together some, but her neighbor also showed me around Ajax and Highlands (which I was not expecting, I thought I'd be more on my own). He's a strong skier and I spent a couple of days chasing him around, it was great. I don't remember everything we skied, but with his words of encouragement I did hike the bowl. Totally worth it.

1 (3).jpg

Made it out to Snowmass as well and had fun there.

Anyway, just wanted to follow up and say thanks, and let anyone reading this thread know that there's a lot of really great info in here.