• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

theglider

Booting up
Skier
If the goal is to predict competency (vs. test it) then I’ll keep it simple and say you just need one: a few wedge turns.

The reasoning is that if someone puts in the effort to master a perfect wedge it’s very likely that he did put in a lot of effort on everything else too.
I’ve never seen a perfect wedge done by an average skier.

Disclaimer: I’m Swiss and my answer is based on our school, which is still putting a lot of importance on this skill. Might be different over there, I lack any first hand experience to judge.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I'm such a Jerry as Donna Weinbrecht was hanging out a the top of the Snowdon 6 pack taking runs with folks yesterday and I passed as we were heading to the tailgate for beer break. Wold have loved to see her ski Conclusion with us. Following the best beats any drills.

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
If the goal is to predict competency (vs. test it) then I’ll keep it simple and say you just need one: a few wedge turns.

The reasoning is that if someone puts in the effort to master a perfect wedge it’s very likely that he did put in a lot of effort on everything else too.
I’ve never seen a perfect wedge done by an average skier.

Disclaimer: I’m Swiss and my answer is based on our school, which is still putting a lot of importance on this skill. Might be different over there, I lack any first hand experience to judge.

Do the swiss ski a wedge with inside tip lead, or are the skis even? and why do they choose to which ever way they do?

theglider

Booting up
Skier
Tips even, this way: I’m not qualified to explain the reason it’s done the way it’s done.

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
Haven't read any replies after the first page but my 3 would be:

Pivot Slips
Railroad tracks
Hourglass

both extremes of the carving /pivot spectrum and then a task that asks one to blend both, and more, through a variety of turn shapes.

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
Do the swiss ski a wedge with inside tip lead, or are the skis even? and why do they choose to which ever way they do?

Tip lead comes from 2 things, sterring of ones legs and the slope angle. Thats it. So if they turn across the falline with thier legs, they will have tip lead.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
If a wedge skier skis with legs turning more than the legs/feet/skis, so the upper body faces more downhill as the skis point across the hill, there will be inside tip lead, just as in parallel skiing. Since we want the turning of the legs/feet/skis to eventually be separated from the turning of the upper body, with skis pointing across the hill with upper body pointing more downhill, it's better to work on having that happen at the beginner stage in a wedge.

So inside/uphill tip lead is better, because separation is better. However, it's harder to teach/learn. Tips level comes first in the beginner lesson, since so many beginners can't even do that at first.

theglider

Booting up
Skier
So what elements of expert skiing are done in the Swiss wedge turn then?

probably nothing. But the question was not “which drills best show competency”. It was “which drills predict competency”.