• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
I took the day off to rest my feet and recharge my ambitions, today will be a morning drill day with this thread in mind. Thanks everybody!

There was some mention but not a lot of support for dolphin turns to help one manage the humps and bumps of moguls and tree skiing. Are there other drills that focus on those skills? That would be a key element in my progress I believe, that and just working my way slowly into appropriate terrain.

Dolphin turns are really a fore aft exercise, they get sold as an exercise for bumps, but being able to move pressure from the tail to the tip of the ski without levering the upper body is very important for any skiing. Similar but easier to work on the same thing would be shuffling the skis backwards and forwards, feeling the calf then shin on the boot, but keeping the skis on the ground.

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
1.Outside ski to outside ski with inside tip on snow.
2.Pivot slip
3. Rail Road track turns.

If I added a 4th it would be one footed skiing.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Dolphin turns are really a fore aft exercise, they get sold as an exercise for bumps, but being able to move pressure from the tail to the tip of the ski without levering the upper body is very important for any skiing. Similar but easier to work on the same thing would be shuffling the skis backwards and forwards, feeling the calf then shin on the boot, but keeping the skis on the ground.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Quick tests on a bit of slope:

Stand on downhill ski and lift uphill ski, holding it for a minute. Then stand on uphill ski and raise downhill.

Stand on both feet with skis edged, hop uphill a half a foot or more and land successfully on newly edged skis.

Repeat with a hop downhill.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Stand on downhill ski and lift uphill ski, holding it for a minute. Then stand on uphill ski and raise downhill.

Stand on both feet with skis edged, hop uphill a half a foot or more and land successfully on newly edged skis.

Yep. Balance comes first.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
What does this mean?

Thank you to the spelling/grammar police. I think it’s time for me to refrain from posting again. As a moderator you could have fixed it for me, or post a remark. The remark was appreciated & appears typical.

Last edited:

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier

If someone focused heavily on those three tests, would that just be gaming the tests or could they experience a significant improvement in their skiing?

Always on the hunt for a skiing counterpart to the "wax on, wax off " exercise in Karate Kid.

Last edited:

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thank you to the spelling/grammar police. I think it’s time for me to refrain from posting again. As a moderator you could have fixed it for me, or post a remark. The remark was appreciated & appears typical.
Even though the correction is fairly obvious, I am a little embarrassed to say I was also puzzling over what you meant. There are so many cryptic and "insider" comments around, it is easy to assume that someone is trying to be clever as opposed to making a fairly obvious mistake. Probably all the people who spent time in graduate school tried to decode your message, everyone else saw the error right away.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think any drills that address the core competencies:
1. Balance
2. Steering
3. Grip
If someone can demonstrate those, you will have a pretty good picture of what kind of a skier they are.

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
If someone focused heavily on those three tests, would that just be gaming the tests or could they experience a significant improvement in their skiing?

Always on the hunt for a skiing counterpart to the "wax on, wax off " exercise in Karate Kid.
If you are a fairly good skier, you should be able to "pass" my test. If you can't, you need some work.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you are a fairly good skier, you should be able to "pass" my test. If you can't, you need some work.
I can pass those, however one foot, little toe edge skiing in general is my nemesis.

Take a weak skier, insist they pass your tests before they can ride another ski lift ever again - nice thing about these is that you do not even need a ski hill to practice them. Once they pass those tests have we accelerated their development to becoming a fairly good skier? Or cheated on the test so that it no longer is a valid for them?

I like balance focused training, would like to believe it can accelerate skiing development but really just speculating at this point.

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
My "test" suggestions are not drills. They're ways to determine what drills may be needed. There are things you could be doing to make skiing on the little toe edge easier.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
While I do "grammar police" (hopefully with good intentions and humor)... In this case I legitimately was asking a question. I literally did not know what you meant.

I see that you fixed it and I understand now.