• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where's the dust? (Snowglide)

BClipped

Booting up
Skier
Just getting to grips with a new Snowglide as a first-time user. I was bracing myself to be working in a fog of steel dust, but it is virtually non-existent. Has the technology been updated, or were previous reviews overstated? There are two thick washer-like rings on the base that are actually very strong magnets and seem to be catching a lot... Maybe these are new?
IMG_20200209_1727156.jpg

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Put a few of those magnets in your nose and teat again! ogwink
I don't use, but it may be the particles you don't see that are not good for lungs?
Just use a good N95 rated paper respirator and you will be fine.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those magnets have always been there.
You can smell the metal in the air when you use the machine long enough.

Just run a wet rag over your workbench or table a few minutes after running the tool and you will pick up lot of metal particles. (Those where in the air before they settled) it’s not crazy like using a drum sander on drywall compound, but the dust is there.

Wear a mask. It’s not a fog of dust, but the particles are in the air.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
I placed strip magnets along the edges of my bench and vacuum off before removing my mask.
The Snowglide is an amazing tool, but the dust is a real consideration. It is powdered metal and is extremely fine.
Maybe you don't think you see it, but you can smell it and it's there.
I give the skis an initial brush with "the dirty one" before cleaning up while still masked.

After, I do a light hot scrape with base prep. The machine also needs regular service and cleaning, but shit howdy,
our skis are sharp, without being bitchy and stay that way with minimal material removal.

pliny the elder

Sponsor

Staff online