• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Where to ski late Oct/early Nov for Intermediate

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
A colleague of my SO is flying into Denver for a few days. He is staying in Highlands Ranch and wants to get in a day of skiing while there. Not sure what's open the last week of October/1st week of November. I know this is still a couple weeks away.

I think the choices as far as what's open are Keystone, A-basin, Loveland and Copper????

Not sure what else might open in the next 2-3 weeks.

This guy is a green/blue level skier. I know Abasin/Loveland are steeper places. He wants groomers I know that much.

Would Copper be his best option or one of the others?

I told Michael I'd pop on here and see what the wise and awesome Colorado folk have to say.

Thanks
:beercheer:

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Cost should be a question he wants to consider. ABasin, Keystone, Copper are going to all be $95-120.

Of those Keystone seems like it may have the most open, and the current 2 mile long WROD is a green. Keystone has hinted that they want to have Mozart and a few other blues open by Nov 2nd.

Loveland will be the shortest drive and cheapest option. The runs they open first are greens as well. The new (last year) Chet’s Dream HSQ makes laps fast and easy.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Honestly -- the best advice is to wait and see who gets what open. Doesn't look to have big storm cycles in the mix, so it may come down to snowmaking capacity. Keystone and Copper have the best snowmaking capacity.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Keep in mind the tentative opening date for Copper is Nov. 8th.
Copper might open for ski team training, but Ikon Pass can just point to ABasin. They don’t have a reason to push opening earlier unless it dumps.

unless this person has an Epic Pass, or they really want as much terrain open as possible. For first day of the season laps out of pocket Loveland seems like the obvious choice if open.

IceChick

Booting up
Skier
Abasin is running low prices ($45-55) for full-day passes through the end of November, especially if you buy online now. They also have a current Friday afternoon deal with $20 3 pm-close passes and $5 beer with a valid PM pass. As far as the terrain goes, they only have 1 trail open right now but are expected to open most trails off of the Black Mountain lift in the next 2 weeks (temperature-dependent). (Almost) everything off Black Mountain is green-blue, even by east coast standards. Right now the only trail that's open is High Noon, and they have bumps on skiers left. Most trails will be groomed or partially groomed for the rest of the "fall." I'd say you'd get a lot of bang for your buck, and the Vibe is unbeatable :)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A colleague of my SO is flying into Denver for a few days. He is staying in Highlands Ranch and wants to get in a day of skiing while there. Not sure what's open the last week of October/1st week of November. I know this is still a couple weeks away.

I think the choices as far as what's open are Keystone, A-basin, Loveland and Copper????

Not sure what else might open in the next 2-3 weeks.

This guy is a green/blue level skier. I know Abasin/Loveland are steeper places. He wants groomers I know that much.

Would Copper be his best option or one of the others?

I told Michael I'd pop on here and see what the wise and awesome Colorado folk have to say.

Thanks
:beercheer:

Keystone for sure.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
@surfsnowgirl -- I have a discount card that will get him a LL lift ticket for $45.

The card is good through December 15. If the visiting friend doesn't take it, it is available for someone else.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eldora will also be open as of November 1 but I'm not sure what will be open at that point.

Sponsor

Staff online