• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Where to ski in Europe for Spring Break

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I am in the middle of planning a trip to Whistler for Spring Break this year (April 4-8), but I started to think about doing something else. Where in Europe would have good conditions during that time? My kids (12 and 13) are both solid skiers (upper intermediate/fledgling advanced). ex. skied the woods in the Outback at Keystone two years ago. Wife is a solid intermediate. Getting more cautious with age.

Suggestions? Would be flying from the Washington DC area.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well Verbier will have the FWT March30-April 5. It’s the big event on the tour. You can actually see the whole mt they run on. You’d want binoculars. It’s a large window for weather.
I don’t know enough of Europe to recommend it overall, I’ll let others weigh in.
Seems like you’d want to maximize skiing area above 2000 meters.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
One word of caution, I've been checking the snow reports in the Italian Aosta region and they haven't had an inch of snow in a month.

If your priority is the skiing, I'd consider staying in NA.

If you're going for the Alps culture, dining, après, etc, then it still might make sense.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
re we talking this year or next. Yep most of the alps has had a raw deal snowwise this season to date (I was supposed to be skiing this weekend but it wasn't worth the time off work). High over 2000m ski area, probably France better than Austria. It will be beginning of Euro school Easter hols so not especially cheap or quiet though Easter much less of a madhouse than February.

Basically you'll be looking for spring snow. But you've another 2 months to build a base for that.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, Valloire comes highly recommended as very out of the way. Never been. I see 70% above 2,000 meters.
There’s lots of mountain village cultural stuff.
You’d fly to Lyon, then TGV to shuttle to Valloire. Or drive from Airport.

vignette_plan_pistes.jpg

Last edited:

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
If I had to pre-book for that time frame I would fly into Geneva and take advantage of the high and primarily north facing French icon hills in the Tarentaise. Think Tignes, Val D'isere, Les Arcs and La Plagne. Val Thorens which is part of the massive 3 Valleys interlinked area is in that region too and would offer great skiing due to it's height.
If you're not afraid to let go of a bit more cash there's plenty of options in Switzerland like Zermatt and Sass Fee.
I've skied Whistler a couple of time in early April and mid mountain and above has been fantastic. A great time to be on snow.
Good luck.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Val Thorens or the other high French stations mentioned for sure. Places like Valloire have the culture but I think you'll be disappointed in the skiing by April. IME there's a big difference between 2000-2300 meters and above that. (Most French resorts top out at around 23-2500 meters and by April it can be hit or miss). If you go to Val Thorens, for example, the base is at 2300 meters.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I've skied 3rd week in April in Val Thorens for some years. Never not had coverage down to the bottom of the VT lift system Plan De L'Eau and only rarely has it required tough bushwhacking to get out of lac de Lou the major off piste lower elevation bowl (think scrub stomping as there just aren't trees at that altitude)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Beware of weather and snow depth, this hasnt been a good snowyear in europe in general. But april is still a long time ahead and could still have some good dumps.

Booking flights, and choosing the actual resorts later could be a smart thing.

You can reach a lot of resorts with 2-4 hours of driving usually

Seasider

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
April is quite late for a lot of European resorts, it's more of a time to go hut to hut ski touring. As others have already mentioned, the high French resorts would be your best bet. Val d'Isere would be my recommendation.

Sponsor