• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where to go spring skiing?

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never really thought about volcanoes blowing up as one of the alpine risks before. Crevasse, rockfall, Avalanche, getting lost, yes.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ya I don't think you need direct as you can do MSP to DEN to Montrose on United in < 5hrs. Portland direct is maybe 1 hour less. Stay in Telluride. Boom.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Shasta has some of the finest, most classic spring skiing anywhere. There’s no comparison to CA corn skiing. Take SPF infinity+ sunscreen. The corn there is dreamy but so is the terrain.
However, it’s not that close to an airport with direct flights to MPLS. SFO or Sacramento would be the destination airport.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
California looks like a great destination, but no way to get there in an evening.
Basically, I refuse to burn a day on just travel on each end of a 3-4day trip, so looking for something that can be reached leaving in the evening, and ski a moring on the last day and be home same day.
Definitely on the list for a longer spring trip some time (When kids are grown?)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Mt. Shasta has some of the finest, most classic spring skiing anywhere. There’s no comparison to CA corn skiing. Take SPF infinity+ sunscreen. The corn there is dreamy but so is the terrain.
However, it’s not that close to an airport with direct flights to MPLS. SFO or Sacramento would be the destination airport.
I will echo that Shasta is maybe the best spring ski mountaineering spot in the world but I am slightly biased having had many of my best days there.
7F63132B-8F5E-4D03-BE6C-6EEF0EEEE62B.jpeg

The Sierra are also awesome depending on how big the snow pack is but they are off to a good start.
Reno is a possible Destiination airport and gets you short travel to the Bridgeport and Sonora pass areas.

California looks like a great destination, but no way to get there in an evening.
Basically, I refuse to burn a day on just travel on each end of a 3-4day trip, so looking for something that can be reached leaving in the evening, and ski a moring on the last day and be home same day.
Definitely on the list for a longer spring trip some time (When kids are grown?)
if Reno RNO airport can work & Shasta is too far a drive, Mount Lassen is another great option to look at for springtime ski mountaineering.
585624C4-80BC-4E74-8639-99277E14AC2F.jpeg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The PNW will likely be a bust this year. My bootfitter is in Bellingham. I was going to head up there in spring, have a pile of orthotics made, visit our old ski house on Baker and ski Baker and Crystal. Given the conditions and long-term forecast I am less than motivated.

Pull up a snowpack map. See who has what. UT and CO will likely be solid. Silverton and the Opus Hut could be very, very good. There are also two huts over towards Telluride.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
@Analisa , can you give me some town/trailhead names so I can look up areas and travel times for those places?
Both Mt Ellinor and Green Mtn lookout, google only knows of ones in the Olympic Peninsula, :D, not the cascades.

Given the lack of snowfall in the PNW you will definitely want a guided trip. Crevasses likely won’t be totally filled in.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
No better corn skiing in the world. Lots of touring near Mammoth.
No glaciers, no fog.
yup, east side of the Sierra is the shizz for corn skiing.
I have spent a good part of the past 20 years in Utah & it just ain’t the same. You may get the surprise May powder day but good corn skiing is rare. Think clear cold nights & warming sunny days, the Sierra mountains can get long stretches of the ideal weather. A thick heavy snowpack is also an important factor. The accessible areas of Utah are nicknamed Wasangeles, the eastern sierra feel like true wilderness.
6B9EF034-4615-4B73-8462-2B07C17E994F.jpeg

Coming from the East works well for corn skiing as your sleep pattern is already set for the required pre-dawn starts.
There are great areas north of mammoth, closer to Reno. Again Sonora Pass, Bridgeport & Virginia Lakes areas.
Lots of archived threads on TGR.

Last edited:

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Disagree with the notion that the PNW is hosed. Snowpack is 85% of average at Stevens and we’ve had a lot of rain that fell as snow in the alpine (plus 5 ft in the forecast @ 5000 ft through Friday). It’s been painfully late, but it’s happening.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Disagree with the notion that the PNW is hosed. Snowpack is 85% of average at Stevens and we’ve had a lot of rain that fell as snow in the alpine (plus 5 ft in the forecast @ 5000 ft through Friday). It’s been painfully late, but it’s happening.

Good to know. I looked at a snowpack map last week and the coastal ranges were around 20 - 30%. My buds in Glacier were not happy with winter so far.

The temp thing can be so fickle there. A few degrees either way means snow, or torrential rain.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good to know. I looked at a snowpack map last week and the coastal ranges were around 20 - 30%. My buds in Glacier were not happy with winter so far.

The temp thing can be so fickle there. A few degrees either way means snow, or torrential rain.

Baker’s a bit behind (~80%). And temps keep things spicy in winter, but late spring touring is a pretty sure thing since it tends to be pretty dry.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Better than what? Better than another time of year in the same destination? Or better than a different destination at the same time of year?

Better than touring in the spring without glacier travel. If you go late, it helps to have some glacier skills.

Most of the lower angle slopes that are high, and on shady aspects, are glaciated. These are the safest bets in May. Late April and May are when I focus more on summits in the Rockies, so I might be a bit biased towards glaciated peaks.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Baker’s a bit behind (~80%). And temps keep things spicy in winter, but late spring touring is a pretty sure thing since it tends to be pretty dry.

Most years, fer sur. 2015 bombed. The road cycling was very benign that year though.

A run at the top of the ski hill, February.
Mt Baker 02.10.15 1 (640x361).jpg

White Salmon, lower base area, same day. Nothing but dirt.
Mt Baker 02.10.15 3.jpg

There was snow at much higher elevations, but the cravasses were also problematic. I could drive my stock 4Runner to timberline on FS roads that May. Usually it is a July thing.

Enjoy!

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well stIll looking. Thinking of the weekend of May 1.
Given travel time, only Denver and Calgary are options.
In Colorado, Rocky Mountain NP, or maybe something around Frisco/Vail Pass. From Calgary, Banff NP.
Banff has the appeal of glaciers. If we pony up for a guide, it would be good to start learning some glacier travel.
Banff is also spectacular as far as scenery goes, although all these mountains are gorgeous..

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any thoughts comparing those three locations?