• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

where to go for spring break, non skiing wife, good blues

opfreak

Booting up
Skier
Spring break is first week in april. normally this is an easy option because the cheap flights are always to Denver so we head there. This year I have enough points to potentially head further out. And it sounds like the snow is good in many places.

I snowboard, and am a fairly solid blue, that generally enjoys long grooms, but I take lessons yearly to try to hit easy trees, and some basic park.

Last few years did telluride/vail/breck/keystone. Wife loves telluride. However I got skunked with bad snow the last two times, so this year I can kind of snow chase.

My options this year based on costs/flying are:

(Bunched by rough regions)

CA/Tahoe
Squaw valley/Alpine meadows
Mammoth
Heavenly
Sierra at Tahoe
Kirkwood 2- seems geared towards more difficult terrain

CO:
telluride
keystone
Vail

Whistler (been here once before)

So based on that where should I go?

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Unlike most years where conditions are variable, CA, UT, and Colorado all have gotten/have great snow. IMO, don't worry about the conditions as they will be excellent any of those places. Just go where you want and the wife will be happy.

NOTE: Rates drop substantially April 1 for lodging in CO. Check out VRBO rates from the week before to week of April 1. Because of this and such excellent conditions, I'm planning on another trip out to Summit CO, CO for first week of April myself.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All the Vail Resorts (Vail, BC, Breck and Keystone) in Eagle and Summit Counties have a ton of great intermediate runs. Copper Mountain has it’s fair share as well. I don’t think you could go wrong with any of these.

James

Out There
Instructor
Telluride over Vail/Keystone anyday. Access ease is hardly equivalent though.

Why not Steamboat??
Of course the last time we recommended that on epic it was a 60+ page thread where the op concluded Whiteface, NY was better.

Though I'd look at Aspen/Snowmass.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you’re going to consider going as far as Whistler again, why not take a look at Bachelor, in OR? Lots for a non-skiing spouse to do in Bend.

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sounds like your main criteria is long blue groomers. And on that note, Aspen/Snowmass has the longest and bluest groomers I've experienced.

From your list, I'd vote Whistler for the best mix of long blue groomers. (I've been to all except Squaw, Mammoth, Sierra, and Telluride) Whistler's Peak to Creek is an experience like nothing else. I've only been there in January though; some locals will have to chime in how Whistler skis in April, as far as conditions and crowds.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
some locals will have to chime in how Whistler skis in April, as far as conditions and crowds.

I'm not a local, but have been to Whistler in April in 2014, 2016, and 2017. It was amazing trip for all of those years. Weather/visibility/snow are all variable, but there is good stuff to ski up on those huge mountains. We would love to go back this April, but I'm going to be in Denver anyway for work, so we are doing a trip in that area instead (same thing happened last year).

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not mentioned on your list, but the Banff area is really nice spring destination for blue square skiers/boarders and non-skiers. The dollar goes a long way up there.
Groomers at Lake Louise:

Scenic blue square run at Sunshine:

Snowshoeing with non-skier at Sunshine:

Beautiful little Mt. Norquay ski area:

Going to high tea at Chateau Lake Louise:

Hiking nearby Johnston Canyon:

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve never been to Telluride. Lots of blue cruisers there?
I've never been either, in winter. Gorgeous though. I'd love to see the airstrip in winter as it was crazy enough in summer. The San Juans are the closet to the Alps I've seen in NA. (Though I haven't been to the pnw.)

I've been to the other two, and I'm willing to double down on Telluride. Simply no comparison scenery wise.
I will say that the top of Ajax at Aspen is stunning. More so the top of Highlands Bowl but that's advanced and strenuous to boot. Not so much Snowmass - rolling desert imo.

How many blue cruisers does one need? Whiteface has those I heard. Likely Vail wins there, probably, surely, even over Verbier/4 Vallees in Switzerland. I wouldn't choise Vail over that either.

However... reading the op again, he's been to all 3. Wife loved Telliride. Choosing Vail given that is nearly spousal abuseogsmile. It's certainly aesthetic abuse.
But, why not go to Aspen? Seems obvious ifthesnow is good.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tride has great beginner and expert terrain but can't recall if it has good upper intermediate.

I recall Big Sky has good groomers but there isn't much except skiing.

+1 for Aspen Snowmass as a good choice and it will be slightly less crowded than closer in resorts.

Banff is an interesting idea if your wife likes other outdoorsy activities.

Steamboat has great terrain and a nice town but it is lower elevation and you would have to be OK with possible spring conditions.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am a newbie on Pugski forum. I know Winter Park is not on your list but my wife and I have done the first week of April for the last 10 years. They have always had a great base for early April and usually get a lot of new snow during our stay. We always love Steamboat but it can get rather worn out that early in April but this year should be great. we leave on March 31st for WP but may go over and do a day at SB since everyone has had such great snow. Also we do WP since my mother lives in Genessee and we take her up with us for a few days.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I've never been either, in winter. Gorgeous though. I'd love to see the airstrip in winter as it was crazy enough in summer. The San Juans are the closet to the Alps I've seen in NA. (Though I haven't been to the pnw.)

I've been to the other two, and I'm willing to double down on Telluride. Simply no comparison scenery wise.
I will say that the top of Ajax at Aspen is stunning. More so the top of Highlands Bowl but that's advanced and strenuous to boot. Not so much Snowmass - rolling desert imo.

How many blue cruisers does one need? Whiteface has those I heard. Likely Vail wins there, probably, surely, even over Verbier/4 Vallees in Switzerland. I wouldn't choise Vail over that either.

However... reading the op again, he's been to all 3. Wife loved Telliride. Choosing Vail given that is nearly spousal abuseogsmile. It's certainly aesthetic abuse.
But, why not go to Aspen? Seems obvious ifthesnow is good.

I’ve actually flown into TEX, in Winter, in between snow cloud. -> PUCKERED. T-ride does have some long cruisers, but Aspen = more @ Snowmass.

TS
O

opfreak

Booting up
Skier
Unlike most years where conditions are variable, CA, UT, and Colorado all have gotten/have great snow. IMO, don't worry about the conditions as they will be excellent any of those places. Just go where you want and the wife will be happy.

NOTE: Rates drop substantially April 1 for lodging in CO. Check out VRBO rates from the week before to week of April 1. Because of this and such excellent conditions, I'm planning on another trip out to Summit CO, CO for first week of April myself.

That's part of the problem ;-). Most years I go where its the least worst for spring break.

Not feeling UT. But we like to see new places, which is why Squaw/Mammoth/Tahoe is on the list, plus that trip would allow some side trips to a national part or two.

TS
O

opfreak

Booting up
Skier
Telluride over Vail/Keystone anyday. Access ease is hardly equivalent though.

Why not Steamboat??
Of course the last time we recommended that on epic it was a 60+ page thread where the op concluded Whiteface, NY was better.

Though I'd look at Aspen/Snowmass.

I've been too steamboat 3 or 4 times. (I remember the thread). But 1, wife does not like it there, no idea why, but she does not. Its also spring, and being south facing, I've ridden some heavy mashed snow there before.

Only reason aspen is not on the list, is because their lift and lesson packages get close to 1000 bucks. Vial for being so expensive is only about 650 for 3 days.

TS
O

opfreak

Booting up
Skier
It's not mentioned on your list, but the Banff area is really nice spring destination for blue square skiers/boarders and non-skiers. The dollar goes a long way up there.
Groomers at Lake Louise:

Scenic blue square run at Sunshine:
Snowshoeing with non-skier at Sunshine:
Beautiful little Mt. Norquay ski area:

Going to high tea at Chateau Lake Louise:
Hiking nearby Johnston Canyon:

Never thought about that it looks great.
hmmm. I'll have to look at the logistics of that... I have miles on Southwest, and that's allowing most of these trip (sea drive to whistler, or a Denver to T-Ride is about the limit of the driving, sea to banf is almost 11 hours)

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I LOVE Groomers. My 2cents
T-ride is awesome- I just returned from Banff-Lake Louise/Sunshine, Norquay the views rival and I think surpass T-ride!! - Awesome groomers, Lots of side trips,(- check the Alberta/Banff thread-https://www.pugski.com/threads/calgary-area-2018-19.12507/page-4#post-337035 We hiked into Peyto Lake and drove then hiked around Emerald lake there are lots of places to explore and just driving up the highway from Canmore as far as you want to drive- everywhere you look is a postcard!

From Sea- how far is Revelstoke? Make your way to Banff - Not sure of the order for best route to do a loop to ski Red- Panorama, Fernie, Kickinghorse end up at Banff?? I was at Revy 1st wk April, bottom was mushy but plenty on top, (download from 1/2 way on gondola) it snowed 5-8 just about every day on top. Hike to Back bowls, lots of trees, and groomers not too huge of a mt except for it's massive vertical. It's a Funky town w/lots of varieties of food- there's not much on the mt, 1 hotel ski shop casual restaurant.

Snowmass- Yes to Nice groomers. - hopefully the avy situation will calm down- I-70's already slow going and been closed lately due to avalanches, suggest fly into aspen (no SW) and stay slopeside snowmass, bus service is great you don't need a car.

Mammoth- is MAMMOTH Groomers every where I really like Mammoth - highly recommend. SW into Reno, Ski Squaw nice ride down to Mammoth
Yes go hug a big tree in Yosemite!- Save time Yosemite- the back door Hwy120 will probably still be closed but the tunnel view at Yosemite Valley is Priceless.

28424537_10156174692438827_4434724985931257879_o - Copy.jpg
Photo is just a small portion of Mammoth.. Could save Mammoth and ski in May, June or July :)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Spring break is first week in april. normally this is an easy option because the cheap flights are always to Denver so we head there. This year I have enough points to potentially head further out. And it sounds like the snow is good in many places.

I snowboard, and am a fairly solid blue, that generally enjoys long grooms, but I take lessons yearly to try to hit easy trees, and some basic park.

Last few years did telluride/vail/breck/keystone. Wife loves telluride. However I got skunked with bad snow the last two times, so this year I can kind of snow chase.

My options this year based on costs/flying are:

(Bunched by rough regions)

CA/Tahoe
Squaw valley/Alpine meadows
Mammoth
Heavenly
Sierra at Tahoe
Kirkwood 2- seems geared towards more difficult terrain

CO:
telluride
keystone
Vail

Whistler (been here once before)

So based on that where should I go?

Telluride. They are having a STELLAR snow year. It is far enough away from the front range urban corridor or any big city for that matter that it offers a very nice vibe compared to most ski resorts. It is really uncrowded most of the year. As you know the town (and the food!) is fantastic.

Sponsor