• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always wanted to ski for the best part of a northern winter season
Skiing as many days in a season as possible, within reason, is something I aspire to do.
I'm 57 , recently retired and need to get on to it sooner rather than later
I could do it at my local mountain in New Zealand but it is only 700 mts vert and 500 hectares along with a half hour minimum drive each way.
The most I've done there was 35 days in one season.
It's cheap skiing there ,a Life time pass cost me $4 k 10 yrs ago
Besides ,I have skied all over it hundreds of times already so I have been thinking about heading to the States or Canada for a season
Where would the ideal place be ? SLC or Summit County maybe for the variety that is handy?
Where would you go?
What do passes cost?
I would need small 1 bed room furnished accommodation , or rent a room ? a car ? or local transport ?
Where is the longest open ski resort ?
What is there to do on a day off ?
Oh ,the list of questions ...

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some thoughts.

SLC and Summit County CO are both good choices because of the variety of mountains within a short drive. Better snow in Utah, but in Summit County, you can stay right in the mountains. That would be my choice. Denver locals will complain its too crowded in Summit County, but you just avoid the weekends (at least Saturday) and ski midweek to avoid the crowds. An Epic Local or Summit pass or the new base Ikon is in the $600 range. It is possible to use the Summit Stage bus to get around, but a car is MUCH more convenient. Finding a long term condo or room rental at a reasonable price may be the biggest challenge.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
If I were in the same position, I would do Canada (I'm pretty sure that Commonwealth members get a 6 month tourist visa as opposed to the usual 90 days) , and probably somewhere in interior BC where I could access a ton of ski resorts and ski where the conditions are best. Interior BC will also likely have the best prices for housing in western Canada.

Fernie, Nelson, Revelstoke, Rossland and Golden are all great towns. If you stay near Golden (which will probably have some of the cheapest housing in interior BC) you can also access Lake Louise and Sunshine easily which have the longest seasons in western Canada (besides Whistler). Golden is great because it has Kicking Horse, but is also within a 2 hour drive of Revelstoke, Panorama, Kimberley, Fernie, Lake Louise, Sunshine Village). If I were in your shoes, I would get a Super RCR season pass (which includes unlimited days at Kicking Horse, Kimberley, Fernie, Nakiska and Lake Louise) and then get a Sunshine Card for early and late season. I would also plan trips to Revelstoke, Red Mountain and Whitewater.

You will definitely need a car - but I think you might need that for all of the areas you are looking at.

Plus there is a ton to do in the area if you want to do something other than skiing - Banff, Yoho, Glacier national parks, skating, lots of cross-country skiing, not too far to Banff and Canmore for cultural events, or Calgary.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
if Canada is your choice
the best skiing base is Golden B.C. - its almost at the centre of most of the best ski hills in Canada, if you don't mind driving to the hills.
However it's not really an exciting town

Or Whistler
arguably the best hill in Canada, also has the most nightlife and other things to do and no car expense.
monthly rentals in both towns are expensive and book fast, so I would look at that first,

the best deal on passes also ends soon.

areas in the Okanogan have some nice skiing but they all could become a bit of same old if your going to be there all winter.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I've always wanted to ski for the best part of a northern winter season
Skiing as many days in a season as possible, within reason, is something I aspire to do.
I'm 57 , recently retired and need to get on to it sooner rather than later
I could do it at my local mountain in New Zealand but it is only 700 mts vert and 500 hectares along with a half hour minimum drive each way.
The most I've done there was 35 days in one season.
It's cheap skiing there ,a Life time pass cost me $4 k 10 yrs ago
Besides ,I have skied all over it hundreds of times already so I have been thinking about heading to the States or Canada for a season
Where would the ideal place be ? SLC or Summit County maybe for the variety that is handy?
Where would you go?
What do passes cost?
I would need small 1 bed room furnished accommodation , or rent a room ? a car ? or local transport ?
Where is the longest open ski resort ?
What is there to do on a day off ?
Oh ,the list of questions ...

People have given really good suggestions so far. If you do choose Utah, let me know. My wife always enjoys meeting a fellow kiwi and we'd be happy to show you around as best we could.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
In your shoes I would choose Canada, especially if the dollar exchange stays like it is.

My personal hangout would be Rossland, BC, the ski town that time forgot. Red Mountain is right there, and Whitewater is an easy do. Don't know the numbers on lift tickets or passes.

As per length of season on the interior; the farther north the longer the season (with the exception of Whistler over in the coastal region). With North can also come cold, how much of that do you want? How about start in southern BC and move North to the Banff region about April (just sayin' since we are spending your money).

IF the US dollar were to crater out, Big Sky, or Whitefish, Montana would be 2 nice choices as well. Both are fine resorts without a lot of the crowds. Could fairly well assure you that you would not get bored of the skiing at Big Sky.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I think the tourist visa issue would mean Canada.

Whitefish has been extremely fortunate the last few years in terms of snow, I'll give you that, and it's a great town. But for variety you'd be needing to make somewhat strenuous day trips to other areas. You'd do it once or twice, but ultimately you'd just ski here. Up and back to Fernie would be four hours of driving in a day. Still, I ski here all winter. Our season passes run around $660 if purchased by September.

Big Sky doesn't have much town. I'd go nuts with a whole season there, especially living alone. Yes, there's a ton of terrain. But you're not going to stay in Bozeman and commute to the hill everyday from there. Big Sky passes are not as straightforward. They can run you $1299.

But really, look at Canada.

TS
Turoa Kiwi

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the tourist visa issue would mean Canada.

Whitefish has been extremely fortunate the last few years in terms of snow, I'll give you that, and it's a great town. But for variety you'd be needing to make somewhat strenuous day trips to other areas. You'd do it once or twice, but ultimately you'd just ski here. Up and back to Fernie would be four hours of driving in a day. Still, I ski here all winter. Our season passes run around $645 if purchased by September.

Big Sky doesn't have much town. I'd go nuts with a whole season there, especially living alone. Yes, there's a ton of terrain. But you're not going to stay in Bozeman and commute to the hill everyday from there. Big Sky passes are not as straightforward. They can run you $1299.

But really, look at Canada.

The USA Visa issue is something that I hadn't thought too much about. I've previously visited on a 90 day tourist visa .It appears that I should be eligible for a B2 tourist visa which allows up to 6 mths stay. This involves a $160 Application fee and a face to face interview at the local Embassy

TS
Turoa Kiwi

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In your shoes I would choose Canada, especially if the dollar exchange stays like it is.

My personal hangout would be Rossland, BC, the ski town that time forgot. Red Mountain is right there, and Whitewater is an easy do. Don't know the numbers on lift tickets or passes.

As per length of season on the interior; the farther north the longer the season (with the exception of Whistler over in the coastal region). With North can also come cold, how much of that do you want? How about start in southern BC and move North to the Banff region about April (just sayin' since we are spending your money).

IF the US dollar were to crater out, Big Sky, or Whitefish, Montana would be 2 nice choices as well. Both are fine resorts without a lot of the crowds. Could fairly well assure you that you would not get bored of the skiing at Big Sky.

I've just come back from a 18 day road trip to Silver Star -28C , Revelstoke -22C and Sun Peaks -21C , all measured without the wind chill added. I think SS stated the wind chill made it -35C That was very cold but really only at the top of the hill .
We managed it all right though, by having a few more coffee breaks than we would have at home. As the trip went on we got used to the temp and it didn't bother us too much
I like your thinking about starting south then heading north. Feel free to spend my money.....

TS
Turoa Kiwi

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hands down, Canada, because it's had the most consistent conditions the last few years and because of your (presumed) citizenship.

As Kiwis, we can relatively easily travel for extended periods to both Canada and the USA You just have to prove that you can afford to stay for the duration of your stay

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would do Canada. Better bang for (NZ) buck, I think, and you're likely to meet more kiwis, if that's a thing for you. If you could swing it, stay flexible and if CO or UT snow is great late season, head south!

I envy you, by the way. Not afraid to say that publicly!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I've just come back from a 18 day road trip to Silver Star -28C , Revelstoke -22C and Sun Peaks -21C , all measured without the wind chill added. I think SS stated the wind chill made it -35C That was very cold but really only at the top of the hill .
We managed it all right though, by having a few more coffee breaks than we would have at home. As the trip went on we got used to the temp and it didn't bother us too much
I like your thinking about starting south then heading north. Feel free to spend my money.....

This season in B.C. was one of a lot more temperature fluctuations than normal. So it looks like you caught the cold temps and might have missed the warm days. For Red and Fernie, in southern B.C. with fairly low elevation skiing, they normally get quite a bit of temperature fluctuations which can mean more rain and wet snow than the more northerly resorts.

Also, when the cold snaps arrive it is always colder and lasts longer in Banff. So Lake Louise and Sunshine Village are best avoided in January and February when it can get brutal cold.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Turoa Kiwi we just did this, November to April. I highly highly recommend it. I had all kinds of doubts and waffled .. just go for it. Some considerations —

Id go somewhere with weekly lesson series or something like that. We were in Jackson wy and I joined a locals group (a weekly ski day with a group of people and an instructor) and a duathon training group through the rec ctr — it was nice to have something social pretty much every day. We had a bunch of visitors but joining stuff was great for making friends quickly.

Budget — it’s easy to spend money quickly in a ski town! We set a monthly budget & tried to stick to it. That meant cheap grocery store, me coaching for discounts on our passes and ski programs, little things like parking in the free carpool lot.

Housing — notoriously tricky, but don’t let that put you off especially just looking for a 1br. In Jackson the best way to find housing is asking people who live there, we found our rental through my kids ski club. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s impossible to find affordable housing in x town ...

Days off — we loved our town library and Rec ctr. We were wrecked on our days off and really lay low. But def took days for hiking, traveled to nearby towns etc. if it had just been me (not me and 3 young kids) I might have wanted to travel more. But, nice to stay put, meet people, become part of a community. We volunteered at the local animal shelter which was great.

In terms of where to go, people have their opinions but my feeling is if you pick a great mountain, you can’t go wrong. I’d avoid the snobby towns though ....

Feel free to DM me if you want details about anything .... And, go for it!! You won’t regret it!

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
This season in B.C. was one of a lot more temperature fluctuations than normal. So it looks like you caught the cold temps and might have missed the warm days. For Red and Fernie, in southern B.C. with fairly low elevation skiing, they normally get quite a bit of temperature fluctuations which can mean more rain and wet snow than the more northerly resorts.

Also, when the cold snaps arrive it is always colder and lasts longer in Banff. So Lake Louise and Sunshine Village are best avoided in January and February when it can get brutal cold.

I have this same impression of brutally cold Januarys. Although everytime I mentioned frigidly cold dry Januarys in the Canadian Rockies, Tony Crocker would always politely remind me that I was totally wrong with regards to the historical record :) I thought of him often this weekend when I was waking up to -22c at Marmot Basin at the end of March, and remembering the relatively mild pow-filled January we had this year.

Regardless, based somewhere in Golden and surroundings gives @Turoa Kiwi a lot of options to ski with the temperatures...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have this same impression of brutally cold Januarys. Although everytime I mentioned frigidly cold dry Januarys in the Canadian Rockies, Tony Crocker would always politely remind me that I was totally wrong with regards to the historical record :) I thought of him often this weekend when I was waking up to -22c at Marmot Basin at the end of March, and remembering the relatively mild pow-filled January we had this year.

Regardless, based somewhere in Golden and surroundings gives @Turoa Kiwi a lot of options to ski with the temperatures...

I think you are having a faulty memory with regards to the historical data saying that you are wrong about brutally cold temps in the Alberta Rockies in January. I am not a numbers guy but my seat of the pants observations over 40 years of ski bumming in western Canada tells me that it can indeed be brutal cold in Banff, Alberta in January. One doesn't need to look at weather data to know that Calgary and Banff are farther inland, higher elevation and A LOT COLDER than Kamloops or Kelowna.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
As Kiwis, we can relatively easily travel for extended periods to both Canada and the USA You just have to prove that you can afford to stay for the duration of your stay
And give over your social media info.
https://www.politico.com/interactives/2018/trump-travel-ban-visas-decline/

Not to start a political discussion, but:
"Most recently, the State Department announced on March 30 that it would require nearly all visa applicants to supply social media handles used over the past five years."
Just be ready.

TS
Turoa Kiwi

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I should have stated that on our 18 day road trip we had only two slightly Blue Bird days. By the time we were finished at Sun Peaks we decided it should have been called Sun Peaks through ...sometimes!! No offence meant Dano T !!

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid