• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where to donate lightly used ski softgoods?

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can anyone recommend a reputable charitable organization where I can send a load of lightly used ski softgoods? I have three helmets (one is a MIPS) and several pieces of women's base layers. Regarding the base layers, although my daughter has stopped growing now, in the past each year she outgrew the previous year's stuff. Sometimes she would only get 5-7 ski days from the items, and by the next season they'd be too small.

In the past, when the Ski Center on Mass. Ave. in DC was still in business, they allowed base layers and helmets in the fall ski gear swap. The ski gear swap run by Alpine Ski (Fairfax and Sterling, VA) does not.

Any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At my local ski resort at Alpine they had a dropbox for softgoods, jackets in particular.

Otherwise, if there is a mom+pop ski shop in your area that you want to support(not corporate owned); I would suggest dropping it there they will find a home for them or include them as free extras in their rentals. The corporate ones have too much bureaucracy to be able to take donations.

Finallyn try to google near you, if there is a ski club for underprivileged or minority kids, they will likely be able to find a home.

As a side note I just watched this video from REI, NBS may have a local club near you:
https://www.rei.com/blog/snowsports/rei-presents-brotherhood-of-skiing

Last edited:
TS
Jimski

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: I took Raytseng's advice, searched the internet, and found the National Winter Activity Center (NWAC) up in NJ: http://winter4kids.org/ . They are a 501(c)(3) organization that accepts donations of used ski clothing. They do not take used helmets.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They do not take used helmets.
I would be wary of anyone who does. Once a helmet is used (meaning hit your head with) most of the time it should be replaced. With a used helmet you don't know its history and how safe it really is. If you do take a good fall with a helmet it's good practice to destroy it enough so no one can use it.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you've crashed your helmet, before you destroy it or throw it out, do check with the brand and write them an email asking about crash replacement, often they will give you a 1time coupon for 30% off their msrp for crash replacement, even if your crash is beyond their stated policy. Of course, you maybe able to find the helmet discounted more than that in distributor stores
But occasionally some times, they will be interested in your specific crash and ask for the helmet for analysis in exchange for greater discounts or free new helmet.
This applies to the major helmet brands that actually are doing r&d and making their own helmets, for recent or new models.

Last edited: