• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where should the Newbie be positioned on the trail?

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
I

If there is a sign around, I will stop behind it as well. They are designed to be visible and most people don't want to hit them. Other than that in the wide open out of the flow of traffic is what I aim for. I can't imagine passing as close as 3 feet from somewhat unless I have really reduced speed because the terrain has tightened up or it's super crowded.

Ya, I know it sounds like an exaggeration. But I looked at the tracks and made a mental note. I was tempted to take my camera out and take a picture of the tracks. Nat and I just looked at each other and said, "really?"

Actually, check this out..not our video, but the time where the video starts shows exactly where I was. That big tree right in the middle. I was standing probably 15 feet away from the tree. Cruddy area there. We were taking a breather, then going to head off over the edge into the rough bumpy area. We were there for a while and in clear site.

Last edited:

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I mostly just slip silently by before they notice I'm there, but sometimes I say "on your left" or "on your right" as a means of educating new skiers. When I do say "on your right" or "on your left", I am prepared for the skier to do anything, including cut me off.
More than once I've called out, "On your right," the skier looks right and veers right. Or looks & veers left as the case may be. We go where we're looking. And, more than once I've called out, "On your right," "No, your other right." Really.

Vail (or was it Beaver Creek) has the great idea of banners on the sides of some runs labeled, "Rest Areas." Smart.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Stopping under or even right in front of a sign, lift pole, tree, etc. is what I've found to be a good strategy most of the time. Stopping all the way to the side of the trail may seem like a good idea but a lot of skiers(myself included) take the line on the edge of the trail to get the best snow when the middle is skied off and icy.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
So, what you're saying is, "Don't stop where I want to ski?"

The NSAA rule is:

You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.

That would presumably mean off to the side like when you're driving, barring things like signs. Those who choose to ski the edge need to be watching out for skiers stopped on the edge. Basically you're skiing in the parking lane. After all, we're all used to driving rules. But is this the meaning?

Fortunately, the FIS rule is clearer:

Stopping on the piste
Unless absolutely necessary, a skier or snowboarder must avoid stopping on the piste in narrow places or where visibility is restricted. After a fall in such a place, a skier or snowboarder must move clear of the piste as soon as possible.

That makes far more sense, no restriction as to where exactly, just don't be stupid. Rereading the NSAA they seem the same, only the FIS rule is better worded.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online