• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Where should I ski next? The adventure continues...

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
HI!
I've had a GREAT week in Taos, but it's time to move North into Colorado. I'm looking for opinions and ski buddies for next week. Looks like good snow is forecast for all of CO, perhaps favoring the central mountains slightly. I will be in Jackson on 2/16 for Avalanche 1 with Jackson Hole Mountain Guides.

I'd also like to do a short, easy back country tour next week to see where my legs are at.

Options are:
1) Aspen - I'd need to stay in Basalt for any reasonable accommodations. I've been driving up to Taos each morning and could use a break from a 30-45 minute commute to the mountain. That said, I'd love to revisit Aspen and love the terrain. Best chance for pow.

2) Steamboat - A little better on accommodations and I love the town of Steamboat. My previous week in Steamboat saw bluebird skies and temps in the 40s. I'd like to ski this mountain with some fresh snow. ...and meet @Ron

3) Winter Park / Copper - Easiest option for accommodations with full kitchens and easy drives to the slopes. Also unlimited days on the IKON pass.

Any thoughts?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
2) Steamboat - A little better on accommodations and I love the town of Steamboat. My previous week in Steamboat saw bluebird skies and temps in the 40s. I'd like to ski this mountain with some fresh snow. ...and meet @Ron

let me know if you are coming in, I'm only skiing on fresh days now and I can't ski anything tight or really steep so I may be too boring for you :).

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you head to WP you might try reaching out to @Freaq Good guy who know's the place well and may be a regular there this winter.

I will be at Crested Butte Feb 20 and 21 before continuing westward march to UT and MT.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Basalt to Aspen is a pretty easy commute. Parking is a bit of a hassle. For Aspen Mt or Highands, park at Buttermilk and tae take the bus or shuttle.

TS
MattSmith

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
let me know if you are coming in, I'm only skiing on fresh days now and I can't ski anything tight or really steep so I may be too boring for you :).
yea, but it would still be nice to meet you. Thanks for the heads up and hope you're back in top shape before long. Perhaps @Bruuuce will be around?

TS
MattSmith

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sugarbush! :D;)

What about Telluride? Only mentioning it because I'd like to go there.
Telluride is full of awesomeness, but unfortunately it's on the EPIC pass, which I don't have. ...and it's pricey/difficult to ski bum in. I won't stay in the mountain village.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
HI!
I've had a GREAT week in Taos, but it's time to move North into Colorado. I'm looking for opinions and ski buddies for next week. Looks like good snow is forecast for all of CO, perhaps favoring the central mountains slightly. I will be in Jackson on 2/16 for Avalanche 1 with Jackson Hole Mountain Guides.

I'd also like to do a short, easy back country tour next week to see where my legs are at.

Options are:
1) Aspen - I'd need to stay in Basalt for any reasonable accommodations. I've been driving up to Taos each morning and could use a break from a 30-45 minute commute to the mountain. That said, I'd love to revisit Aspen and love the terrain. Best chance for pow.

3) Winter Park / Copper - Easiest option for accommodations with full kitchens and easy drives to the slopes. Also unlimited days on the IKON pass.

Any thoughts?

Aspen, hands down.

a LOT of people from Denver/Front Range use WP and Copper as their day ski areas. This detracts from the experience a bit and can be VERY crowded on given days. WP might be worse than copper in that regard.

TS
MattSmith

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Basalt to Aspen is a pretty easy commute. Parking is a bit of a hassle. For Aspen Mt or Highands, park at Buttermilk and tae take the bus or shuttle.
Yep, that's the only part holding me back from Aspen. Is parking at Buttermilk free? (edit: parking at Buttlermilk is free) I'm wondering the difference between getting picked up at the Basalt Park-n-Ride Vs parking at Buttermilk.

Aspen is leading. Lining up for better snow.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But you do need to meet Freaq, if you haven't. Sometime.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Yep, that's the only part holding me back from Aspen. Is parking at Buttermilk free? (edit: parking at Buttlermilk is free) I'm wondering the difference between getting picked up at the Basalt Park-n-Ride Vs parking at Buttermilk.

There's also free parking at the Intercept park and ride at the the intersection of Brush Creek Road (road to Snowmass) and Co 82.

Mike

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
We’ll be in Telluride President’s week. We’re shipping our skis this time because we’re taking a connecting flight and I don’t want to take a chance they won’t be there in Montrose.

Skis are getting picked up Monday, I’m packing my Enforcer 110’s, so there’s a pretty good chance there will be no snow that week...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

relax

Unless you want to park smack in the middle of downtown Aspen there are plenty of options regarding parking and transportation.

TS
MattSmith

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Aspen it is.

giphy.gif

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January