• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where should I move?

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting reading this thread as I sit in my “ cabin” on the backside of KT in Alpine Meadows ( Tahoe/ Squaw). We bought this place 30 some years ago with the intention of eventually living here full time. Great skiing, terrific summer mtn biking, hiking, and of course all the fun stuff associated with The Lake. Only three hrs to The Bay Area, 45 minutes to Reno. Ideal especially after living the past two decades around NYC . We moved in full time 2 years ago. Squaw / Alpine is still terrific skiing but Covid has literally transformed the complexion of our community overnight.
Realtor friends are seeing all cash offers for properties in the north Tahoe area sight unseen from bay area folks who are bailing out. Complete dumps of 1500 ft sq are going for $750 k -1million. Worse: many who are new arrivals act entitled/ arrogant beyond belief with no respect for the mutual support/ respect mountain living requires. Our property abuts a large creek with a 10 ft easement ( no building) yet two neighbors recently built concrete stairs into the creek and when notified of the easement responded to the local association: try and sue us. Local schools are looking at a 40% increase in enrollment this year.
Regardless of the people explosion; We found that despite years of 2-3 day long weekends here nothing quite prepared us for the repetitive serious snows of Feb and March where dumps of a 1,2 or more feet a couple of times per week at our elevation 6800’, can be routine. That makes for some awesome powder days; assuming you can get dug out in time to get to the chair . It’ll be interesting to see how many of the cost no object folks remain after a couple of decent Tahoe winters. So, as much as we like living here ( Come for the skiing; stay or keep coming back for the summers) , I’m not sure the overall quality of life will survive the enormous recent crush of humanity. .
Alternatively, while living in NY we maintained a condo in southern Vt each ski season ( two young racers) and when a partime job for 5 years in Middlebury Vt had me living there full time for 2 months out of the year, I rediscovered the wonders of northern NE skiing / life. No, the skiing is not like out west, but man it’s still great fun. I learned to ski as a kid in Vt and then as an adult re found the thrill of Goat at Stowe, the comradery of Mad River, and the amazing throwback family scene at Suicide six, and of course, the Snow Bowl ( Middlebury).
My friends tell me uber wealthy NY and Boston folks are now buying actively in Vt. But it’s not the feeding frenzy going on around here in Tahoe.
This is a long way of getting around to this: as awesome a snow ( and hiking, biking, sailing etc) scene exists here at Squaw, If I were to do it again, I’d strongly consider Northern Vt as an alternative. Good , accessible skiing ( most years), proximity to a lake that can rival Tahoe, a lively restaurant scene in Burlington( hell, even Waterbury) , reliable first class medical care ( UVM) and more tradition than you can shake a stick at. Sure it’s cold in January - serious cold- and humid in summer , but for someone into skiing and hiking, biking , and do on.... not a bad area to live.

skyfree

Booting up
Skier
I live in Tahoe as well (South Lake) and as far as weather and proximity to world-class skiing it's hard to beat. The relentless pressure of VHR's on the neighborhood is hard to take though. I dread Friday nights because that's when the partying starts. Best have the sheriff on speed dial if you live here.

My wife and I have travelled around to over 80 of the best resorts in the US and Canada (skinorthamerica100.com) and job market aside (hey, I'm almost retired!), this is what I would consider in the US. I don't think any of these meet these requirements though:
  • ~30 minute drive to a modest to large size airport for traveling or visiting family in Minnesota & Texas.
  • Good school system for raising kids.
Outside of Telluride near Norwood you can still get inexpensive acreage and it's less than an hour to our favorite resort on the list.

Another option is Driggs or Victor, ID which is where Grand Targhee is located and it's about an hour from Jackson Hole, our #2 on the list.

The Bitterroot Valley from Hamilton to Sula is less than an hour to Lost Trail and still inexpensive. On the other side of the pass Salmon, ID is also an option for Lost Trail.

McCall to Donnelly in Idaho is close to 2 great ski resorts (Tamarack and Brundage) and not terribly expensive yet. Tamarack is EMPTY on a weekday. It's almost surreal.

Red Lodge Montana is a fun resort (when it snows) and isn't overpriced like Bozeman.

I would love to recommend Taos, but living in New Mexico is an acquired taste and unless you grew up there like I did, it's probably going to be too much of an adjustment culturally.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I live in Tahoe as well (South Lake) and as far as weather and proximity to world-class skiing it's hard to beat. The relentless pressure of VHR's on the neighborhood is hard to take though. I dread Friday nights because that's when the partying starts. Best have the sheriff on speed dial if you live here.

My wife and I have travelled around to over 80 of the best resorts in the US and Canada (skinorthamerica100.com) and job market aside (hey, I'm almost retired!), this is what I would consider in the US. I don't think any of these meet these requirements though:
  • ~30 minute drive to a modest to large size airport for traveling or visiting family in Minnesota & Texas.
  • Good school system for raising kids

Red Lodge Montana is a fun resort (when it snows) and isn't overpriced like Bozeman. .
Red Lodge schools, from what I heard from friends with kids, seem to be pretty good. I have no idea how they stack up in test scores or college placement, though, and I'm sure they have some of the drawbacks of any small town (smaller student body, thus less breadth of offerings compared to a big suburban district). The overall community support for the schools seems pretty good, though, which I take as an important indicator.

It's definitely not within 30 minutes of a decent sized airport, though.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
rutland, vt
Doesn't meet the airport criteria—you're still either driving to MHT or BOS if you want a mid-to-large airport. The local (RUT) and largest-in-the-state (BTV) do connect to major hubs, but you're still in airline purgatory with multiple hops and increased costs to get anywhere. I'm not sure it would sneak in under the 85-degree summer cutoff, either, and it's Vermont summer, so the humidity will make 80 feel like 90.

It does have pretty darn good access to outdoor activities year-round, though, and it is a cool little city, despite having a bit of a bad rep in Vermont because there are parts of it that are on the sketchy side.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
If $$ is no objection, I don't think anyone has mentioned Vancouver, and I don't think I have to explain why. Calgary area might be really good also, but I have not spent time there nor skied that area.

LowPressureKarl

Putting on skis
Skier
I would think Canada’s off the table for now.
Not being able to access your vacation home, would suck.

Sponsor

Staff online