• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where are you going to go that's new next year?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Been thinking about this and realised I've not really skied anywhere that is new to me this year despite bagging 52 days skiing. Technically I could claim Warth, as I've only previously hiked there and it wasn't lift linked to the rest of Arlberg previously but it's a bit weak. Now I've had lots of great and good skiing and skied with a variety of great people but I feel I should be doing some adventuring.

Japow may be on the cards one of these years if I can get the combination of timing and airfare right and I've still got plenty of Yurp I haven't skied but I'm kinda influenced by places which tend to have good lodging options over a weekend and aren't nightmare from major airports which leads to smaller pool of candidates.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm hoping there will be a weekend get together at the newly re-opened Laurel Mountain. It looks like a small, rustic little ski place with decent terrain, but small acres. If that's the place for the Mid Atlantic Gathering I'm in!

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I'm thinking of a trip to central WA, southern BC, northern ID, and western MT. Some of the places I've not yet skied that I'm turning in my head are Red Mountain, 49 Degrees North, Schwietzer, Discovery, Montana Snowbowl, and Loup Loup Ski Bowl, a small, communtiy ski area in north central WA.

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I'm thinking of a trip to central WA southern BC and northern ID and western MT. Some of the places I've not yet skied that I'm turning in my head are Red Mountain, 49 Degrees North, Schwietzer, Discovery, Montana Snowbowl, and Loup Loup Ski Bowl, a small, communtiy ski area in north central WA.

Red? Not there Red Sucks!;)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Been thinking about this and realised I've not really skied anywhere that is new to me this year despite bagging 52 days skiing. Technically I could claim Warth, as I've only previously hiked there and it wasn't lift linked to the rest of Arlberg previously but it's a bit weak. Now I've had lots of great and good skiing and skied with a variety of great people but I feel I should be doing some adventuring.

Japow may be on the cards one of these years if I can get the combination of timing and airfare right and I've still got plenty of Yurp I haven't skied but I'm kinda influenced by places which tend to have good lodging options over a weekend and aren't nightmare from major airports which leads to smaller pool of candidates.

Would love to get back and see more of Yurp, but right now with my son based in Utah I'm kind of oriented in that direction. If we get to the Whistler Gathering March 2017 that will be a first and if we drive from SLC to Whistler there may be more firsts enroute. Other than Mt. Bachelor I have not skied PNW US or Western Canada.

I'm hoping there will be a weekend get together at the newly re-opened Laurel Mountain. It looks like a small, rustic little ski place with decent terrain, but small acres. If that's the place for the Mid Atlantic Gathering I'm in!

I don't know what you guys would do for a mid-Atlantic Gathering next season, but if it's anywhere (BK?) near Laurel we should consider going there for one day of the weekend??

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
I just moved to Canmore, AB, so next year hoping to tick through a laundry list of new ski areas around my new digs: Hopefully can knock off Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Norquay, Nakiska, Panorama, and maybe Fernie and Kimberley... and might as well throw the Calgary Olympic Park in there while I'm at it!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm tentatively planning to go to Japan in 2017, but it won't be for a ski trip unless I sneak in some snowblading on Mt Fuji:daffy:

Is there anything left in North America that you haven't done that catches your fancy?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure which areas yet but Chile will happen in 2017. There's a chance I'll be in Switzerland in December 2016 for work so might make something happen there.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thinking real hard about Whistler/Blackomb. Last year's Aspen gathering was my first and it would sure be nice to see and ski with everyone again!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Whistler Blackholm :D
I look forward to going there again for the first time. The only other time I was there was over July 4th one summer to ski. Did you know they don't celebrate "4th of July" in Canada, I didn't realize till there were no fireworks that night, LOL.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thinking real hard about Whistler/Blackomb. Last year's Aspen gathering was my first and it would sure be nice to see and ski with everyone again!
Crank, I thought you were skiing real strong at Aspen! Didn't seem tired even though we caught you after you'd already done many consecutive ski days. You made an especially aggressive headplant in the trees at...I think it was Ajax:) I was trailing behind nearby and actually concerned for a second about a suffocation type situation, but you popped back up for air very quickly.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm probably going to go to Aspen for the first time ever next year, looking forward to it.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Looking forward to introducing Philpug and Tricia to our wonderland at WB!! Not new to me, but I haven't been out for 3 years...No plans right now for anything new next year, just new ski buddies!!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Crank, I thought you were skiing real strong at Aspen! Didn't seem tired even though we caught you after you'd already done many consecutive ski days. You made an especially aggressive headplant in the trees at...I think it was Ajax:) I was trailing behind nearby and actually concerned for a second about a suffocation type situation, but you popped back up for air very quickly.

Jim, You were skiing great as well. I had an even better fall in some chute at Snowmass on the last day of the gathering. Fortunately, Kevin was there to photograph it.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Whistler/Blackcomb won't be a new destination for me, but spending a whole week will be. I've only spent 2-3 days there in the past.

I haven't planned for any other trips or any new destinations for next year. Yet. I keep thinking it would be a nice spontaneous trip to hop on the Amtrak, 20 minutes from where I live, sleep on the overnight train to Whitefish and spend a few days there. If I had a few more days I could rent a car and drive to Fernie. DanoT will tell me that if I'm going that far then I need to go to Castle as well.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know if I'll get to any of them, but my bucket list includes interior BC, Grand Targhee-Jackson and Whitefish. (really liked the town when visiting in summer) and Powder Mt., how can you not want to ski a mountain with that name, eh?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January