• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where and When Did You Learn to Ski?

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Hill next to home on antique skis with leather strap. First skis with spring bindings 3rd grade, 1967/1968 at Carousel Mt. in Holland, MI.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Some time in the mid-70s (no quite one is sure of the exact year, maybe 1975 or 76), initially at Whiteface Mountain, up in Lake Placid, probably the coldest mountain in the east.

After a year or two, we switched to Pico (then, a small independent mountain, now, owned by Killington) since it was a bit warmer and family friends had a condo up there. Spent a few years there, and then switched again to Mount Snow for the shorter drive (grew up in North Jersey).

Our family vacations were all ski vacation. For Christmas week and President's Day week every year, our family of four would pile into the car and drive to Vermont.

Michigander

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Bittersweet ski resort. Otsego, Michigan. 1988.

Funny that one person in this thread mentioned learning on crummy old Elan rentals at Mt. Brighton, because guess who bought all their old equipment when they upgraded? Bittersweet! I learned with those old spring bindings with a string around your boot. Luckily, a modern upgrade happened about a year or two later.

Took my son there for the first time two weeks ago and it was better than ever.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
First time ever was when my Uncle took me and my brother to Wisp in MD. I was 13 and it was 1967. Did not ski again til I was a senior in HS and joined the ski club and we went every Friday night to Seven Springs in PA. I was 16 and haven't missed a season completely since.

Rick G

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
1973 Soda Springs Calif. Donner summit. It was a Tuesday, $2.00 Tue, two dollars for a lift ticket and two dollars for a lesson.

After teaching our neighbors to water ski all summer they bought my wife and I rentals at Helms of Sun Valley in Sacramento and we went skiing and both loved it.

n black

Booting up
Skier
Early-to-mid 70's night skiing at Mt. Holly and Pine Knob in SE Michigan with the elementary school ski group. Didn't know what daytime skiing was for years, Boyne and Blue Mtn (Ontario) were the "big" exotic mountains.