• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Alu / C4
Strato 102 / 4S
Comp / VO
P9/ Zebra / Mantra
Standard / Monster
RX / MX
Supercomp / Split Tail
Firebird / Bonafide

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think there is something to @Philpug's observation above - we used to define brands by their race line. Then, 1998-2008ish we defined the brand by their fat skis (Chubb, Powder Plus, Tanker, Seth, BIG, Pocket Rocket, Sugar Daddy, Mothership, Explosiv and so on). Now the dial indicator has swung back to 'all mountain'.
There was a time when the vast majority of the best skiers on the mountain were on race skis and anything "All Mountain" was considered a compromise and to an extent scoffed at and referred to as "Doctor" skis. Now, the "All Mountain" skis are the majority and the race skis are more specialty and very few ski them day to day.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Back then, it was race on Sunday, Sell on Monday. Kind of like NASCAR.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Race skis ruled the roost when all skis were basically the same so consumer race models were obviously the high performance aspurational model. We've had 20+ years of skis that actually help and not hinder across various circumstances. The all mountain seems to have taken over in the mind of most who imagine they ski the whole mountain. What's notable in Europe at least is that most people on all mtn skis are skiing on pistes and would probably be better off on a pure piste ski. The people who are actually skiing the whole mountain tend to be on skis in the 1 oh something bracket and above.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For me the "past" skis are often just highlight ones I skied on, limited as I was. Like Northland GS or Downhills; the first Head GS Comps; or the Dynamique VR 27s. And Atomic Arcs. So pretty fully subjective.

Otherwise, the more recent "past" top or representative skis can be both valuable and misleading, as they have a characteristic brand quality or skiing personality that may or may not carry over within that brand for a few years at least (like the current "jamming" quality of Atomic race skis; the impressively neutral edge feel of many Head race and near race skis; or the aggressive carve of many Rossi race and all mountain skis. Another example - I have sought the wonderful, versatile, 3D quality of the wider K2s - like Seths and Pettitors, in vain more recently - since the last Pettitor, actually. Wished I hadn't taken the bait for wider K2s this past year, given what else is out there.

Others: (more or less currently)
K2 - the Pettitor still (maybe until none are left in top ski-able condition)
DPS - the Alchemists - I'm guessing a game changer (106, 112, probably 124 Lotus A)
Moment - the Bibby Pro (for 18/19 newly called the Wildcat 116/118, but probably the same ski, pretty nearly)
ON3P - the Billy Goat
Volkl - the Katana; alternatively, the V-Werks design skis in general, including the newer Katana
Faction - The Candide Thovex models: 1.0 - 3.0, at least
Atomic - G9 FIS 188/30 (I want one.) Formerly the Redsters
Stockli - the Stormriders (or maybe the Lasers)
Dynastar - Legends - currently, the Legend x106 or the Pro
Rossignol - the Experience 88 (or the Soul 7; for me personally, in the recent past, the Sickle 111 - an odd one, I know)
Head - iSpeed Rebel WC Pros 180/18; or maybe their FIS GS race ski, woman's specs. I know, I know: the Monsters also.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not to single you out, but who cares about past hit's? Dated technology.
But the technology of the day may have contributed to a skier's passion for the sport.
I know the Volkl Vertigo G3s that I owned as my first shaped ski created a new enthusiasm for skiing.

Its Hot August Nights, and reminiscing about skis we loved and new skis we love today while sipping a cold beverage isn't a bad way to spend some time.

:margarita:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The first thing that came to mind for me
Atomic:
Past - Metron
Current - Vantage

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Ski - The Ski

Fischer
Past - Alu
Current - Ranger or RC4 depending on what type of skiing you do.

K2
Past: depends on the era; Cheeseburger Deluxe, Pontoon
Current: Supercharger

Head
Past: Standard (I had a pair that used to be my mom’s, removed the bear trap cable bindings and installed Salomon 555’s)
Current: Rally/Titan

Salomon
Past: Pocket Rocket
Current: QST99 or 106

Volkl
Past: Mantra
Current: Mantra

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Nordica:

Now: ENFORCER

Then: Did Nordica make skis before the enforcers?

Head:

Now: KORE

Then: MONSTER

Rossignol:

Now: SOUL

Then: Equipe 4S (and the classic logo with the Blue/White/Red gamecock, bring it back!)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Clearly there are many many brands these days we shouldn't be defining by their race offering not least because many don't really have a tangible race presence. I'd argue that the only brands that can really be defined by the race/technical end of piste performance are probably Head, Atomic, Fischer and maybe Stockli and Rossi

Then there is a whole bunch of former "Indie" darlings putting out skinnier and more "sensible" skis to chase the mass market all-mountain :Armada, DPS, Faction, Liberty and probably ON3P, Movement and Moment all fit here.

All that makes the middle market (or the one ski quiver customers) still an overcrowded place despite the size of the potential market. It's also the hardest place to "famous" for. I put forward a hypothesis that it's hard to be "famous" in multiple categories but easier where there are adjacencies e.g. Head in race and piste performance, DPS in freeride and touring. But for everyone its a stretch to be famous as "all mountain". Maybe currently Technica group gets closest if you adopt a freeride lens on what all-mountain means (Navigator/Enforcer and Cochise ranges).

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Moment:
- Then: Bibby
- Now: Wildcat (aka. a rebranded Bibby)

Praxis:
- Then: Protest
- Now: RX

PM Gear:
- Then: Lhasa Pow
- Now: Lhasa Pow fats (to be made by Praxis)

On3p:
- Then: OG Wrengade (112mm waist, cruise missle)
- Now: Kartel

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All that makes the middle market (or the one ski quiver customers) still an overcrowded place despite the size of the potential market. It's also the hardest place to "famous" for. I put forward a hypothesis that it's hard to be "famous" in multiple categories but easier where there are adjacencies e.g. Head in race and piste performance, DPS in freeride and touring. But for everyone its a stretch to be famous as "all mountain". Maybe currently Technica group gets closest if you adopt a freeride lens on what all-mountain means (Navigator/Enforcer and Cochise ranges).
I don’t know if K2 was famous for the all-mountain Apache series but they certainly sold a lot of them. I think they were actually pretty good skis for what they were designed for, I still have my Outlaws as a rock ski (just pulled an old Epicski sticker off them).

So, iconic image vs number of units sold, which is a better barometer of what a brand is known for? On one hand, I know the flagship models of a given brand, say Head or Elan, but when I’m in the lift lines I see a lot of Head and Elan rental fleet skis, so that sticks as well.

We clearly have our impressions of what model comes to mind when we think of a brand. Interesting idea for a thread.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Not to single you out, but who cares about past hit's? Dated technology. Other then those getting back into the sport, mogul skiiers and retro days, nobody really uses those old skis anymore. We have an "All Things ______ " thread to reminisce, why the redundancy? In todays market it's a mistake to walk into a ski shop wanting something from a specific brand, dismissing others soley because said brand made the beloved ski from two, three decades ago. Of course marketers love that mentallity, makes their job easier.

Seriously??? Some of the most beautiful skiing I witness every year are old guys rocking 200mm straight skis down some gnarly terrain. Those guys and gals are still out there skiing their old skis and skiing them better than 95% of the people on the hill with modern technology.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not to single you out, but who cares about past hit's? Dated technology. Other then those getting back into the sport, mogul skiiers and retro days, nobody really uses those old skis anymore. We have an "All Things ______ " thread to reminisce, why the redundancy? In todays market it's a mistake to walk into a ski shop wanting something from a specific brand, dismissing others soley because said brand made the beloved ski from two, three decades ago. Of course marketers love that mentallity, makes their job easier.
This exercise is not about reminincing or even technology, it about talking about brand identity. What models were integral in creating a brands identity and how the consumer perceives that brand then and now.

Sponsor