• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Did you notice that @Doug Briggs got a technical foul by a) citing a defunct company (Kneissl) and b) citing a Dynamic which may be defunct except Atomic still own the rights.

Also note that citing old Kastle and new Kastle would have to be seriously examined by the judges.

Whatever

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Then:

Rossi - Strato's or the HP or even the Attraxion series
Fisher - Silverglass Senators
Head - Wahoo
Hart - CompCR
Volkl - Targa R
Dynastar - X9
Atomic - anything with a pink bottom

Can you tell I owned some of them.

Now:

Rossi - Hero's, E series
Head - Joy
Atomic - Cloud or 95C
I agree on the Salomon....not impressed.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tried to play then realised absolutely nothing came to mind for Salomon and K2 these days. I could really not be less excited about trying anything from them given the last few things I tried were just meh.
I'm not about to do walk down memory lane, besides we already have the "All Things" thread for that.

Nor do I care to entertain "The Ski Of The Month Club".

Because @fatbob mentioned Salomon -

'18/'19 Saomon QST 106 http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/ski-reviews/2018-2019-salomon-qst-106
'18/'19 Salomon Shift Binding (Game Changer) https://www.pugski.com/threads/salomon-announces-s-lab-shift-mnc-binding.7361/
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/salomon-atomic-shift-mnc-binding
'18/'19 Salomon S-Max 130 Carbon http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2018-2019-salomon-smax-130-and-smax-130-carbon

K2: Nothing on the radar at the moment, havn't been paying attention to what's what. Sorry.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Atomic-Benchetler
4frnt-hoji
Rossi-soul 7 the yellow one
K2-pontoon
Volkl- mantra or gotama
Dynastar-legend
Fischer-ranger or the old big daddy/sugar daddy
Praxis-RX
Icelantic-nomad
ON3p-wrenegade
Moment-Tahoe or pb&j
Head-kore
Dps-the old yellow wailer
Line-prophet
Salomon-pocket rocket
Nordica-pardon
Blizzard-black pearl
Stockli-storm rider

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I'm not about to do walk down memory lane, besides we already have the "All Things" thread for that.

Nor do I care to entertain "The Ski Of The Month Club".

Because @fatbob mentioned Salomon -

'18/'19 Saomon QST 106 http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/ski-reviews/2018-2019-salomon-qst-106
'18/'19 Salomon Shift Binding (Game Changer) https://www.pugski.com/threads/salomon-announces-s-lab-shift-mnc-binding.7361/
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/salomon-atomic-shift-mnc-binding
'18/'19 Salomon S-Max 130 Carbon http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2018-2019-salomon-smax-130-and-smax-130-carbon

K2: Nothing on the radar at the moment, havn't been paying attention to what's what. Sorry.

K2

Past: TNC
Present THANK YOU FOR KEEPING FULLTILT ALIVE & a few carvers tested, yet never make it to the showroom floor of any shop.

Sali

Past
957 20din all metal clamps

Present ........?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am old so I will only do the past. Because I am only doing the past I may give two selections for some manufactures.

Hexcel - Comp
Dynamic - VR 17, VR 27
K 2 - Four, Comp
Olin - Mark IV
Rossignol - Strato, ST Comp
Fisher - Alu Steel, Superglass
Volkl - Zebra
Kastle - RX National Team, Freestyle Pro
Head - Standard
Hart - Javelin
Dynastar - Omeglass
Kneissl - White Star
The Ski - White Model
Atomic - ARC Bionic

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Like most, current offerings from both K2 & Solomon drew blanks.

Past.
K2 - Comp 710
Salomon - Scream
Not to single you out, but who cares about past hit's? Dated technology. Other then those getting back into the sport, mogul skiiers and retro days, nobody really uses those old skis anymore. We have an "All Things ______ " thread to reminisce, why the redundancy? In todays market it's a mistake to walk into a ski shop wanting something from a specific brand, dismissing others soley because said brand made the beloved ski from two, three decades ago. Of course marketers love that mentallity, makes their job easier.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Not to single you out, but who cares about past hit's? Dated technology. Other then those getting back into the sport, mogul skiiers and retro days, nobody really uses those old skis anymore. We have an "All Things ______ " thread to reminisce, why the redundancy? In todays market it's a mistake to walk into a ski shop wanting something from a specific brand, dismissing others soley because said brand made the beloved ski from two, three decades ago. Of course marketers love that mentallity, makes their job easier.
I do not agree the quality of a manufacture in the past may be a good indicator of the quality of the product today. An example of corporate culture that has not changed even if the owners may have changed. Head, Kastle, Rossignol, Volkl all good quality skis.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Every brand wants to have a calling card ski, a ski that when someone thinks of that brand, one particular model comes to mind. Yes, this can change from generation to generation so pick a brand and what is the current model that you think of and what is the historic model. Please feel free to add why you think it is the case.
Our site's namesake, does. ;) :beercheer:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do not agree the quality of a manufacture in the past may be a good indicator of the quality of the product today. An example of corporate culture that has not changed even if the owners may have changed. Head, Kastle, Rossignol, Volkl all good quality skis.

Our site's namesake, does. ;) :beercheer:
...that's sort of his job, being both directly and indirectly involved in the industry.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

Have to agree with this - all the referencing the past and skis from the straight ski era is pretty irrelevant to 2018. Yes you may have loved them in your (relative) youth but no-one other than the most determined retrogrouch is actually skiing the things . A more relevant comparison is what's the best thing in the past 20 years vs today.

Then we can see e.g. the Soul 7 is the spiritual successor to the Bandit XX or that Salomon have struggled to achieve something as iconic and ubiquitous as the 1080 or XScream or Pocket Rocket.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Well, you may not care, but I do. It’s like the phrase “The good old days.” As I aged, I came to realization that all days when old are good. I am sure not all think that way. Perhaps I like to remember the good part and gloss over the bad because I am in a happy place. Who knows, who cares.

Anyway, I like to think of my memories of the past as my rudder for my future travels. Our past experiences color our present and future decisions but they do not overwhelmingly dominate the decision process. Especially when it comes to skiing and skis.

Between the three of us, we have 20+ pairs of skis from eight different manufacturers in our current active quiver. All are less than 3 years old with the exception of two. I think that speaks volumes about our fealty, or lack of, to the brands past.

Never look back, never waiver, full speed ahead. Shall we all don our blinders and charge full speed into the night like men without memories. Nah, you go right on ahead. I think I’ll just hang around here and reminisce a bit with a cold one on this hot and stormy Saturday afternoon.

:beercheer:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Salomon have struggled to achieve something as iconic and ubiquitous as the 1080 or XScream or Pocket Rocket.

Sorry to quote myself but it occurred to me the "why" of how skis make the list is quite important. So I think I know why the Salomon skis I mentioned were iconic and it basically comes down to snowboarding IMV.

We all know that snowboarding rejuvenated skiing in 2 ways being the concept of sidecut (+ width) and the second being modern freestyle ( and yes we know you were rockin killer twister spreadeagles in the 80s. But there was another imv - construction. Caps and foam cores made everything cheaper and that difference could be spend on marketing ubiquity. Of course being progressive and open minded and hooking into the creativity of the New Canadian Air Force vs the more stolid pistencarven Euro brands didn't hurt them either.

But it's also a millstone when indyish outfits have grabbed the "cool" and "insider" ground in skiing and you're just a bit me too on the mass market non enthusiast side of the ski wall.

K2 seem to me to have this same problem though we are obviously being told here they are beginning to get it back together on frontside skis.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I don't get why anyone would read, much less comment in, a topic they don't like.

For myself, I really don't have much when it comes to the past; 802 & 90s I was a crap beginner and changed skis too often to remember many.

K2: Winterheat (my first skis) & Comp 610 (my first 'new' skis); new:huh:
Head: I think they were GS racing skis, white with angled sidewalls; new, my Monster 88 demos I've yet to ski:drool:

Volkl: The Green Machine (204 Super G racing skis I was on in the early 90s, how I didn't kill myself :nono:); new, AC4 -- my first "powder" skis
Atomic: '7' something, whitish with a layer of swiss-cheesed "spring steel" (comeback skis after first broken leg:crutches:); new, OG Automatic

Moment: First-gen Night Train (why did I sell'em:doh:); new, Bibby Pro (want so much)

Praxis: Freeride (one just disappeared in the powder); new, Concept (Keith lent me a pair to try:hail:)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, you may not care, but I do.

-

Never look back, never waiver, full speed ahead. Shall we all don our blinders and charge full speed into the night like men without memories. Nah, you go right on ahead. I think I’ll just hang around here and reminisce a bit with a cold one on this hot and stormy Saturday afternoon.

:beercheer:
Your words not mine. :beercheer:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Renoun past-Z-90
Renoun present-Z-90

Young companies have a short history.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Never look back, never waiver, full speed ahead. Shall we all don our blinders and charge full speed into the night like men without memories. Nah, you go right on ahead.
Again I didn't say that.

I haven't forgotten the Salomon BBR ski or their 2010'ish foray into the freeride/tech touring market Salomon Quest boot with Tech fittings :eek:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online