• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Every brand wants to have a calling card ski, a ski that when someone thinks of that brand, one particular model comes to mind. Yes, this can change from generation to generation so pick a brand and what is the current model that you think of and what is the historic model. Please feel free to add why you think it is the case.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Why the P9 RS and not say the SL? Just curious.

My first pair of Volkl was the red P9 RS in the mid '80s. Bought a pair of the yellow and black SL a year later. Always liked the red RS better. Skied the RS lots more. Bought another pair of RS in '89. Really good memories.

Even though I mentioned the Mantra as the current favorite. I think the Kendo suits me better. I'm going on my 5th pair of Kendo while the Mantra number is staying at 3.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My first pair of Volkl was the red P9 RS in the mid '80s. Bought a pair of the yellow and black SL a year later. Always liked the red RS better. Skied the RS lots more. Bought another pair of RS in '89. Really good memories.

Even though I mentioned the Mantra as the current favorite. I think the Kendo suits me better. I'm going on my 5th pair of Kendo while the Mantra number is staying at 3.
This isn't about you favorite...it's about what model comes to mind when you think of a brand

Me...

Atomic:
Current: Bent Chetler
Past: Bionic RS (Red Sled)

Blizzard:
Current: Bonafide
Past: Thermo SL

Dynastar:
Current: Legend 96
Past: Course SL

Elan:
Current: Amphibio 12
Past: RC05

K2:
Current: SuperCharger
Past: Cheeseburger Deluxe

Kastle
Current: MX89
Past: Freestyle Pro

Salomon:
Current: QST 106
Past: S9000 3S

Rossignol:
Current: S7
Past: ST Comp

I noticed many of my past ski are race skis. Hmmmm.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
In the historical category:

I'm with @Don in Morrison: hart - javelin

Rossi - ST

Head - XR1

Dynamic - VR17

Atomic - Powder Plus, runner up - Red Sleds

Fischer - C4

Kneissel - White Star

K2 - Comp, runner up - AK Launcher (and the venerable Big Kahuna)​

In the current category:

Rossi - E series

Atomic - Redster

Fischer - RC4, runner up - Ranger​

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I tried to play then realised absolutely nothing came to mind for Salomon and K2 these days. I could really not be less excited about trying anything from them given the last few things I tried were just meh.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I tried to play then realised absolutely nothing came to mind for Salomon and K2 these days. I could really not be less excited about trying anything from them given the last few things I tried were just meh.

Did you notice that @Doug Briggs got a technical foul by a) citing a defunct company (Kneissl) and b) citing a Dynamic which may be defunct except Atomic still own the rights.

Also note that citing old Kastle and new Kastle would have to be seriously examined by the judges.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Kneissl still periodically exist when they actually press some stock but granted they don't really have a retail presence anymore.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Truth be told..I had some problems with some brands...when you are trying to rebuild an identity it can take some time.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid