• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When you don't fully know the terrain you're skiing...........

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That was not close to 50 mph, and nowhere near "Jerry of the day".
Just didn't land it. :)

He was definitely going that fast by the time he landed. I agree it wasn't all that fast when he took off, but dropping 50 feet over 150 feet tends to get you moving pretty fast by the time you return to earth.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
He was definitely going that fast by the time he landed. I agree it wasn't all that fast when he took off, but dropping 50 feet over 150 feet tends to get you moving pretty fast by the time you return to earth.

Well yeah okay, if you want to "get all vector physics up in this beeyotch", at impact he was probably going about 45mph in the Y direction after ~ 2 seconds of air time.
His X vector would be largely unchanged or even slightly lower due to excessive wind drag. I was estimating 25-30mph at takeoff.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well yeah okay, if you want to "get all vector physics up in this beeyotch", at impact he was probably going about 45mph in the Y direction after ~ 2 seconds of air time.
His X vector would be largely unchanged or even slightly lower due to excessive wind drag. I was estimating 25-30mph at takeoff.
What do you estimate the length of the yard sale might have been?

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
That was not close to 50 mph, and nowhere near "Jerry of the day".
Just didn't land it. :)
I will have to disagree with you on this. He is moving pretty dang fast. At least 40 mph. Think about a car going 30 mph past you on your residential road. That's about what most cars are doing in the neighborhood. This guy is zooming past way quicker than that. Not to mention the amount air he achieves off a relatively benign looking jump. Now on to important matters... How many daffies could he have done by the time he touches down? My guess is 4

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
I will have to disagree with you on this. He is moving pretty dang fast. At least 40 mph. Think about a car going 30 mph past you on your residential road. That's about what most cars are doing in the neighborhood. This guy is zooming past way quicker than that. Not to mention the amount air he achieves off a relatively benign looking jump. Now on to important matters... How many daffies could he have done by the time he touches down? My guess is 4

Okay cool. Maybe I ski faster than I thought. :D

I always sucked at daffies and needed a decent lip just to get one completed. Doing four off a drop like that would be "most impressive".

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski very conservatively compared to most folks I've skied with. My ski app (such as they are) clocks me consistently between 35 and 39. That kid is skiiing WAY faster than me. But I am going faster than the neighborhood car!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January