• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
Hopefully the replacement for Hillmap will hire a decent visual information designer.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hopefully the replacement for Hillmap will hire a decent visual information designer.

That's Caltopo (JH here : https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=43.59271,-110.84794&z=15&b=ter) ... it's got a ton more features than Hillmap, but is designed for more general use and not as much for purely seeing slopes like Hillmap was.

You can also us FATMAP... it's got the cool 3D maps, and a slope steepness view that's very similar to Caltopo. It's a graph of elevation versus horizontal distance with a color code for how steep it is.

Personally, I still would like to have a graph of slope angle versus horizontal distance, which is what Hillmap provided. (Actually it had both, elevation, and slope angle, against horizontal distance.) I've submitted a question on the Caltopo forum for feature requests, asking if it would be possible to get that graph.

James

Out There
Instructor
If I was going to the gathering I'd definitely go to Snow King. Likely the snow would be solid ice. Doesn't matter. Screw Jackson for a day. Maybe the week. Hit Targhee, maybe back country. ogsmile I should be more enamored of Jackson, not sure why I'm not. Dick's Ditch is pretty cool though. I could easily spend half a day in that. Maybe hit the Hobacks for some atrocious refreeze in the late afternoon.

Bill Briggs bought Snow King in 1966 and started the Great American Ski School there. I didn't know he'd started a Bill Brigg's Ski School in 1958 at Suicide Six in VT. Pretty cool. Clearly he likes steeps, even way back then. I learned to ski at Suicide. 800ft vert, two Pomas. The Face was steep and at the time I skied there still ungroomed. Too steep, you need a Winch Cat. People were always walking down because they fell on the Poma and couldn't ski down. If you could ski the Face decently you could go to most places and be ok. The Front Four at Stowe weren't much harder, but much longer.

------------
"The history of the sport has been plagued by trumped-up 'right ways' to ski," observes veteran ski teacher Bill Briggs, 68, of Jackson Hole, Wyo. And, Briggs might add, plagued by criticism of "wrong" ways.
---------------
"Carved to Pieces", John Fry, Dec 2000, Ski
https://www.skimag.com/.amp/ski-performance/carved-to-pieces

Good article on Briggs from 1995 in Ski Magazine. Starts on pg 130
https://books.google.com/books?id=ogLfAUtIevIC&pg=PA132&lpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^
Well some of us haven't been to Jackson Hole yet, and would like to at least check it out. :D

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
If I was going to the gathering I'd definitely go to Snow King. Likely the snow would be solid ice. Doesn't matter. Screw Jackson for a day. Maybe the week. Hit Targhee, maybe back country. ogsmile I should be more enamored of Jackson, not sure why I'm not. Dick's Ditch is pretty cool though. I could easily spend half a day in that. Maybe hit the Hobacks for some atrocious refreeze in the late afternoon.

Bill Briggs bought Snow King in 1966 and started the Great American Ski School there. I didn't know he'd started a Bill Brigg's Ski School in 1958 at Suicide Six in VT. Pretty cool. Clearly he likes steeps, even way back then. I learned to ski at Suicide. 800ft vert, two Pomas. The Face was steep and at the time I skied there still ungroomed. Too steep, you need a Winch Cat. People were always walking down because they fell on the Poma and couldn't ski down. If you could ski the Face decently you could go to most places and be ok. The Front Four at Stowe weren't much harder, but much longer.

------------
"The history of the sport has been plagued by trumped-up 'right ways' to ski," observes veteran ski teacher Bill Briggs, 68, of Jackson Hole, Wyo. And, Briggs might add, plagued by criticism of "wrong" ways.
---------------
"Carved to Pieces", John Fry, Dec 2000, Ski
https://www.skimag.com/.amp/ski-performance/carved-to-pieces

What an amazing man!

James

Out There
Instructor
^^^^
Well some of us haven't been to Jackson Hole yet, and would like to at least check it out. :D
Well get some people to split renting a locker. Unless you boot up at home, take the bus, or boot up in the parking lot subsidizing the crappy base lodge. Par for the West. (Not Targhee.) The locker area is decent but adds $20+ /day.

Get @mdf to take you in the Hobacks when conditions are "interesting". Maybe not "very interesting".
Def check out Dick's Ditch. Makes up for their lame half pipe.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^

You ain't missing much. :cool:

That said, I am surprised @James doesn't like JH. I thought JH is everybody's favorite mountain. :rolleyes:

Jackson used to be one of my favorite. Don't really understand why but over time it reminded me of a song by the Righteous Brothers.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well get some people to split renting a locker. Unless you boot up at home, take the bus, or boot up in the parking lot subsidizing the crappy base lodge. Par for the West. (Not Targhee.) The locker area is decent but adds $20+ /day.

If I stay at the Elk Country Lodge, I boot up in my room and get on the bus right out front.
If I stay anywhere else (driving, or walking from somewhere in Teton Village) I boot up at the outside (but covered) benches and stuff my bag underneath.

That said, they've reconfigured the base area a lot since the last time I was at JHMR.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That said, they've reconfigured the base area a lot since the last time I was at JHMR.

Spent a week at JH last season. SSDD. :nono:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Great story. On three of my four trips to Jackson, I saw Bill Briggs at the Stagecoach Inn in Wilson, WY, where he has been playing on Sunday night for more than 50 years. (It's at base of Teton Pass and only about a mile from Stilson lot where you can park for free and catch free bus to skiing).

In March 2019 after the Big Sky Gathering and snowmobiling into Yellowstone on Saturday, my wife and I went to Stagecoach Inn on Sunday evening after our first day skiing JHMR. The show starts early and it gets crowded. They also had very good food, but you needed to get your order in early as line and wait for food got long fast. See https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/mult...cle_8f4b8cb4-9f60-562f-a8c1-3d25612732ec.html for a lot more pictures. This is a picture I took on March 3, 2019.
7042StagecoachBand1.JPG

James

Out There
Instructor
If I stay anywhere else (driving, or walking from somewhere in Teton Village) I boot up at the outside (but covered) benches and stuff my bag underneath.
Spent a week at JH last season. SSDD. :nono:
Such a joke. Outside booting up. Gee, thanks for the roof and one wall. Not even a smelly heated Yurt!

Civilization = Roof + Walls + Door
Advanced Civilization = Roof + Walls + Windows + Doors
Highly Advanced = Advanced + Heat + bathrooms

Clearly Jackson is Un-Civilized. Except the cost is out of this world = Joke

What does Snow King have?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Enough Jackson bashing. It ain't perfect, but I'm still a fan.
It is going to be a great week.

@James is just jealous because he's not going to be there having fun with the rest of us. :D It's totally sour grapes...

James

Out There
Instructor
@James is just jealous because he's not going to be there having fun with the rest of us. :D It's totally sour grapes...
It’s big Mts with no space to boot up. So we subsidize lack of space. Aspen is terrible, Highlands poor, Snowmass - well if you drive to that other lodge, but it’s Cat Track city w/no lodge otherwise. Buttermilk has space ironically.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowmass has a nice room with lots of space, a ticket counter, lockers, free cubbies, and comfy couches. It's just behind the slope-side restaurants at the top of that strange tiny gondola from the base to the "snowmass mall". And I would grade Aspen poor and Highlands OK.

But I agree with your general point -- it is like the bathrooms in the basement. Why so little attention to the small things that improve the guest's experience a lot?

Maybe fodder for another thread -- best and worst boot-up rooms (or not rooms).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online