• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
Who’s going to Snow King at night? @mdf??
If I was going to be there I’d def go. I’ll be away that week.

“The upper portion is home to the steepest north-facing sustained pitch of any ski runs in North America”
Not sure if that “North facing” modifier is an asterisk or not.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

“The upper portion is home to the steepest north-facing sustained pitch of any ski runs in North America”

But, are those runs part of the night skiing? The good runs usually aren't. I thought about getting an early flight and trying to do a few hours on my arrival day, but even leaving at oh-dark-thirty doesn't get you in early enough.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Here's the slope for the double black run....the multi-colored bar running along the bottom indicates the slope. Looks to be 30-40 degrees for most of the first 500-600 feet of vertical.

upload_2019-7-20_13-3-22.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Here's the slope for the double black run....the multi-colored bar running along the bottom indicates the slope. Looks to be 30-40 degrees for most of the first 500-600 feet of vertical.

View attachment 77401
Lol. That is your most ridiculous graphic yet! 98% worthless. Scale in miles? ogsmile

I can’t find which trails are open at Snow King at night. God forbid they just color the map or something like that.

James

Out There
Instructor
But, are those runs part of the night skiing? The good runs usually aren't. I thought about getting an early flight and trying to do a few hours on my arrival day, but even leaving at oh-dark-thirty doesn't get you in early enough.
Does it really matter? You could always go there part of the day.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol. That is your most ridiculous graphic yet! 98% worthless. Scale in miles? ogsmile

Well it's literally the slope.... vertical feet on the left, y-axis, and horizontal distance on the horizontal, x-axis. We don't often talk about horizontal distance, but it's part of the slope. The color is what matter for steepness.

If I could figure a way to graph the actual steepness, like Hillmap used to do, I'd post that. But Hillmap is broken and doesn't seem like it will ever be fixed.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Aw, c'mon. I only get 5 weeks vacation. And I need to set days aside for @KevinF 's New England Gathering, and @dbostedo 's Taos minigathering, and @Philpug 's or @KingGrump 's A-Basin or Mammoth spring fling, and maybe the three amigos' (@Gary Stolt @JohnL @SKI-3PO ) Superbowl week in Utah, and ....

Try doing all that on FOUR weeks vacation. And no sick leave. And still paying off a hefty mortgage. And trying to babysit some knuckleheads in the Ukraine. :(

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So if anyone has the energy to night ski at Snow King after a day at JH you have my respect. I will gladly tag along and sit in the lodge and drink a few beers in support.

Like most, I have long been intrigued by the sight of Snow Kings steep slopes looming over town an yet have never been.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Try doing all that on FOUR weeks vacation. And no sick leave. And still paying off a hefty mortgage. And trying to babysit some knuckleheads in the Ukraine. :(
Are you the reason we've been getting a flood of new members from the Ukraine?

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I did a Snow King late afternoon/evening on an arrival day once and a long ago Gathering had a Snow King day.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely - it’s been awhile but I remember at least the top half+ as steep and there were trees lookers right that were fun.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

James

Out There
Instructor
Snow King is definitely a worthy hill. Plenty steep on top. Best of all, you can buy your lift ticket by the hour. Just don't go there when it's closed (Mondays). View attachment 77545 View attachment 77546
Almost like Chamonix!
Bill Briggs, 1st to climb and ski down the Grand Teton in 1971, was Ski School director at Snow King for years. I think he still plays banjo in Wilson, WY. He once jammed with Bob Dylan in Jackson in the 80's.

IMG_6626.JPG
Credit: Jonathan Adams/Jackson Hole News & Guide

According to Lou Dawson via Briggs himself, he skied the Grand on
K2 Elite. Very soft, light, 210cm, fiberglass ski. -
https://www.wildsnow.com/13602/bill-briggs-biography-teton-ski/ comment section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor