• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will say this: the last Jackson Gathering was a year in which the snow was pretty much non-existent in the PNW, the worst year in a long time (2015). So while we weren’t getting fresh powder, there was enough snow to ski the whole mountain, and with Jackson’s terrain that’s impressive.

A day or two at Targhee is a must, even better for snow and far fewer skiers and boarders.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Is a car necessary for getting around?
Depends on where you're staying.
I’ve done it both ways, with and without a car.

Doing without a car works. There’re buses to get from town to the slope. Quite efficient. Everything else are within walking distance.

But...

I found the flight to Jackson much more expensive, than slc. By flying to slc, I save enough to pay for a car.

Sure, it’s a long drive. But I get to ski Snowbird first. Same cost, more skiing. More freedom too, to come and go. Price being the long drive from and back to slc. I now prefer to fly to SLC and rent a car

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've flown in twice (once badly delayed both in & out) and driven from SLC three times (never a problem; great scenery along the way).
I will always opt to drive (unless offered a ride in a private jet).

P.S Dick Cheney owes me $100 and a decent night's sleep

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s funny, I road-tripped from Seattle the last Jackson Gathering in 2015, and had my car (Subie Forester with snow tires), but there were always other people who wanted to drive their vehicle. Carpooling from town is preferable to driving alone, since the parking near the base is free for carpools. It was convenient to take the bus to Teton Village as well, and I could easily walk around town.

I’m thinking of road tripping again and taking a few extra days, and ski a few places along the way (maybe Silver Mt or Lookout, Lost Trail, Grand Targhee). Might take an extra week and head to SLC and my SO might be able to fly in and join me, visit relatives, road trip back home with a stop at Sun Valley.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Carpools are free in the Ranch Lot. You have to ride a bus to get to the base area from there. Not a big deal, but I don't think the premium lots have the free carpool option. You need 3 people to qualify.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think the premium lots have the free carpool option.
I'm pretty sure they did in 2009, but not in 2015. To be fair, I think the lot we parked in in 2009 is a hotel now.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m thinking of road tripping again and taking a few extra days, and ski a few places along the way (maybe Silver Mt or Lookout, Lost Trail, Grand Targhee). Might take an extra week and head to SLC and my SO might be able to fly in and join me, visit relatives, road trip back home with a stop at Sun Valley.
Dibs on carpooling, Plz keep me posted on those plans! I could fly into JAC and return via SLC, ski a few days in UT after the gathering.

bushpilot

Up Booting
Skier
I can get from my local airport to jackson hole for about 400 bucks. It's only 40 bucks cheaper to fly into SLC. I am already doing a 2 week road trip to SLC and Big Sky so planning on flying out just for the gathering. I have a 5 day pass so I would be interested in a possible trip to another mountain for a day or two. If I'm gonna pay for a ticket I might as well see something different.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Grand Targhee is always a good bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.