• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When turning the outside ski, do you pull the forefoot in or push the heel out or both?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Thanks for the post. But, I was just asking for an elaboration on the bolded point below, which was theoretical in the first place (not dependent on a video of my skiing):

There are some disadvantages to inclination without angulation (tipping without having the upper body closer to vertical than the legs). Mostly though:
1. If done wrong, you have too much weight on the inside ski.
2. If done with all your weight on the outside ski, there is no room for error or recovery; if the outside ski slips out, it's all over. With some angulation you can recover.
It's simple physics. If the body has no angulation but is inclined, the force is in a straight line from the center of mass to the outside foot. If the foot is not tipped in, then the angle at the outside foot will be less than the 90 degrees necessary for the ski to hold. Even if the foot is inverted (everted? I get these confused), there is little leverage against the foot. Now, put some angulation at the hip -- the CoM is levered against the outside foot increasing grip.

All that being said, folk who ski only with inclination almost always wind up on the inside foot. And while you say that you are 100% on the outside foot, in modern skiing, we need some pressure in most circumstances on the inside foot -- just not a bias toward the inside foot. Further, we need to start the process of transferring pressure from the outside foot to the new outside foot as the skis start to untip in the late shaping phase of the turn. That's not efficient nor generally achieved if the body is only inclined.

Mike

Last edited:
TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
It's simple physics. If the body has no angulation but is inclined, the force is in a straight line from the center of mass to the outside foot. If the foot is not tipped in, then the angle at the outside foot will be less than the 90 degrees necessary for the ski to hold. Even if the foot is inverted (everted? I get these confused), there is little leverage against the foot. Now, put some angulation at the hip -- the CoM not is levered against the outside foot increasing grip.

Mike

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January