• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
How carving got associated with speed control is beyond me.

Kind of racing-centric thinking IMO. The Fins innovated the front side carve to control speed as Fearing demonstrated in his tutorial vid where you asked if there was English subtitle version. In some circles within the mogul community we still call this a carve regardless of outcome.

BTW, some have called what Berger does in the vid below as caving as well. From you previous post you should be old enough to know how they use to control speed and still maintain the same radius.

Last edited:

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Changing to make absorption (retraction) turns as I posted in the videos in posting #78 is a total change of movement. If you learn that through lots of practice, you'll like the result.

Those vids shows techniques that will control descent down a direct line, maybe for a low angle run but not a steep one. The demonstrator does not use his full absorption range given his tall stance is compact, Furthermore, the absorption he teaches will not allow one to "stick" like what most moguls competitors can do to control their descent .

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Those vids shows techniques that will control descent down a direct line, maybe for a low angle run but not a steep one. The demonstrator does not use his full absorption range given his tall stance is compact, Furthermore, the absorption he teaches will not allow one to "stick" like what most moguls competitors can do to control their descent .

Jack, when people say a "direct line" do they mean the same thing as the "zipper line?"

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Sorry, haven't read the whole thread. Yes, I see that you are on manicured competition style moguls. My answer is in the context of recreational moguls, which can be pretty big, pretty irregular. I don't ski them with speed. Rather, I love them for the push into the air I get, with the subsequent weightless drop down to the other side, not the fastest way down. It's that drop down to the other side that I pull my feet back, if that is the way to describe it. I'm not sure that is what is actually happening, but it kinda feels that way. The intent I have is, imagine an eagle, to soar down onto the backside, and to engage the tip first to start a turn. So, first contact and action on snow is on the backside of a mogul, not the front side of the next mogul. It is not dissimilar to early engagement of the skis in steep terrain (the backside of the mogul can be very steep).

Generally, I make contact with the mogul from one side or the other, going over the top, rather than hitting it straight on. Going over the top, I may or may not be in contact. I am more focused on that swooping, soaring dive down the back side.

A natural mogul may not be cooperative in shape though. Some are tear drop in shape, narrowing to a point on its backside. When opportunity arises, I like skiing the side of that narrowing feature. For that, imagine in a traverse, on leg is shorter than the other. On the steep side of the tear drop, one leg is shorter than the other, not across the hill, but across the face of the mogul, which could be with the skis pointed downhill. Not to worry. You will turn on the side of the mogul, and the turn will control speed.

Maybe too much to describe in words. If confusing, sorry.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jack, when people say a "direct line" do they mean the same thing as the "zipper line?"

A zipperline is skiing a direct line (along the fall line). In a zipperline you can see the alternating left/right turns right in front of you. When the line becomes hard to see, skiers throw the extra turn or a partial turn, it no longer becomes a distinct left /right sequence but its still skiing direct.

Below is a sequence from Chuck M. skiing a direct line but with no distinct nor complete left right turn sequence. Slow it down to .25 speed and go to 2:43 to 2:46, Martin's left foot is weighted into the face of the bump but starts to shift his weight to his right foot as he crest then he position himself to weight his left foot again when he lands on the face of the next bump at 2:46. He threw a weight shift for a mini turn (if you can call that a turn) in there to position him for the next turn. Starting at 2:46 he is using asymmetrical turns, hopping some troughs and using mainly his left turns to finish the turn. Sometimes the flow of the bumps forces you to do this, when the trail has more than one fall line or if skier traffic heads toward a certain direction on the trail.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Thanks. I'm trying to clarify the language bump skiers use. This is what I understand from your post. Have I got this right?

"Zipper line" requires an arrangement of little shoulders left-right to be ahead of you, lined up straight down the hill, ready for you to "turn" on.
"Direct line" means you're heading straight down the fall line on whatever is there in front of you, little shoulders and everything else.
"Zipper line" is a subcategory of "direct line."

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
yes. ski what's in front of you, mulligans if you realized the trough or back side has dirt or exposed rock.Well... the last part is what I give myself when I find out the last second.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If you dorsiflex as far forward as possible, that has no effect on available knee flexion or hip flexion. Both of those are still fully available when the ankle is as closed as you can make it go.

Compare two stances:
case #1: ankles are closed tightly; shins are tilted forward, pressed into boot tongues, plus knees are closed far enough to get thighs horizontal.
case #2: ankles are open so shins are vertical, plus knees are closed far enough to get thighs horizontal.

Which one has the hips farther back? It's case #2.

I'm trying, but I just can't wrap my head around why you think strong dorsiflexion limits knee and hip flexion.
Or that strong dorsiflexion keeps the hips farther back than keeping the ankles more open.
I'm guessing that I've misunderstood your words....

And here's the kicker... on teley gear, one of the big keys to happiness aside from properly weighting the rear foot, is to maintain a closed ankle (dorsiflect) the front foot. The nature of the telemark beast obviously doesn't allow us to lever over the front of either ski, but a closed front foot ankle prevents teley-wheelies and other fore/aft balance mayhem. Telemark gear also has a huuuuge available range of motion compared to alpine, and dorsiflexion takes nothing away from this in my humble experience. If you can't close the front foot ankle and keep your rear foot under your rear end and properly weighted in steep, chundery funk on free heel gear, yer gunna have a bad day... yes, the bindings suck.
ogsmile

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is the video from my last month run,major improvement is stability, but still lack of performance , I think it's because of lack of certain muscle development. hope will be improved next season.

Great improvement! Keep doing what you are doing. Do lots of laps there and you'll get better and better, smoother and smoother, and eventually faster and faster if you like!

Those are some loud bumps. Obviously not easy skiing.

I like to use the noise from bumps as a signal as to how well I'm keeping in contact with the snow and how effectively I'm edging.

Listen to your video and notice the loud, soft, loud, soft of your edging. Work on trying to make the noisy part of your edging longer and more consistent with better edge contact throughout your turns. That will give you better speed and directional control.

Again, fantastic improvement through obviously lots of hard work!

Sponsor

Staff online