• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
R

RichGuo

Booting up
Skier
I watch other zipperline master on hill, most of them use blocking pole plant, while I have very short pole(height just match my hip) and I don't use blocking pole plant, that's problem, since next mogul is far reachable on steep. I believe this video below, the U10 coach suggest pole plant similar to Aiko. I like the idea of edge change on mogul in the vid, which is pull back down hill ski , as he said in mogul to get edge change is not free as on flat,I am starting practice it on flat.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but all of this is much easier to learn if you can find a bump run that's not very steep. Unfortunately, the brutal grooming has flattened most moderately pitched runs.

TS
R

RichGuo

Booting up
Skier
First step is too make sure you can consistently get that sensation, Next step is to apply the pressure at the tip to control where and what type of turn you want to make.
get that sensation requires a lot repetition ,I watch Stephen Fearing Vid every week, some drill is beyond my ability, as warm up I do some of those short turns 2-3 times each ski day

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
In order to control your speed in the zipperline, the bare minimum requirement is to get forward and get good balance on the downhill leg. You should be able to do the tail lift turn drill on greens and blues. It takes lots of repetition but nothing worth achieving comes easy.

TS
R

RichGuo

Booting up
Skier
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but all of this is much easier to learn if you can find a bump run that's not very steep. Unfortunately, the brutal grooming has flattened most moderately pitched runs.
For mogul runs, my mountain only as one blue and one on bottom of double black(I will say equals black mogul run), that's best of my vicinity ski resorts.

TS
R

RichGuo

Booting up
Skier
For mogul runs, my mountain only as one blue and one on bottom of double black(I will say equals black mogul run), that's best of my vicinity ski resorts.
In order to control your speed in the zipperline, the bare minimum requirement is to get forward and get good balance on the downhill leg. You should be able to do the tail lift turn drill on greens and blues. It takes lots of repetition but nothing worth achieving comes easy.
Right, that's my most favorable drills,

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A ton can be gained by skiing those moguls extremely slowly (no, I mean way slower than that, no, even slower still) and the precision that is required to do so, then that precision gained will apply when the speed is dialed up.

Too true!
Yes! Sometimes I ski bumps so slowly that it is as if I am not skiing at all!

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
Cool new backpedal images @cgeib! I havent seen those last 2, I saved them ;-)

zenny

Thanks, Zenny. Bob's model was around for a while and apparently back in 2006 I constructed the others as part of a discussion on Epic that is now long gone.

If they're useful to you here is the entire collection so far with versions having the
inappropriate forward leans overlaid onto the balanced model.

Note that the ankle is not used (it is fused) in any of the stickman animations - Bob's and mine.

BackPedalBalancedAndFwdLean.gif
BackPedalBalancedAndUpright.gif
BackPedalFwdLeanBoot.gif
BackPedalUprightBoot.gif
BackPedalUprightBootOutBack.gif
BobsBackPedalInBalancedBoot.gif

Zentune

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Thanks Chris...I saved as many images as I could from epic over the years, plus some screenshots of good discussions. Too bad most of it is irrecoverable :-/

zenny

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
The other check I have to know that my weight is truly forward is that if I really am able to get pressure to the ski tips at the bottom of the turn, there is a distinct sensation that I am pressing on a brake pedal with the downhill ski tip. And that pressure on the imaginary brake pedal comes with a very satisfying feeling of speed control.

Some more vids of sticking at the top..... loading that tip/front part of ski as you approach the face of the bump is key.

@ 0:43, Red jacket is really pressing those tips on the face.

first two sequence they are practice this tech, guy in the red jack has it and black top/white jacket is very close.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
..... as warm up I do some of those short turns 2-3 times each ski day

A wise man from a site most us came from said something to the effect "never waste a run or a trail". Meaning you can use any trail to get better, at the resorts that have seeded bumps, I have to go through some groomed trails, that's where I can do drills as well. In addition, skiing back to the lift line.

If its too crowded on the groom trail, ski a narrow corridor. A short radius turn is very important for the bumps and as Fearing mentions, change up on the tempo. Below is another vid of mogul turns done on the flats.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Thanks, Zenny. Bob's model was around for a while and apparently back in 2006 I constructed the others as part of a discussion on Epic that is now long gone.

If they're useful to you here is the entire collection so far with versions having the
inappropriate forward leans overlaid onto the balanced model.

Note that the ankle is not used (it is fused) in any of the stickman animations - Bob's and mine.

View attachment 36949 View attachment 36950 View attachment 36951 View attachment 36952 View attachment 36953 View attachment 36954

The lamp black stick man keeps a quiet CoM, but his head is hardly "riding a wire", which is often sited as a drill, model, sensation to explore when developing bump technique.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
The lamp black stick man keeps a quiet CoM, but his head is hardly "riding a wire", which is often sited as a drill, model, sensation to explore when developing bump technique.

Yep, same for retraction turns. Worthwhile to explore I think. Is it actually what happens? Drills are drills, skiing is skiing!

Sidebar:
Interesting (and maybe unusual or uncommon) the reference to lamp black? Why lamp black & not simply black???

TS
R

RichGuo

Booting up
Skier
A wise man from a site most us came from said something to the effect "never waste a run or a trail". Meaning you can use any trail to get better, at the resorts that have seeded bumps, I have to go through some groomed trails, that's where I can do drills as well. In addition, skiing back to the lift line.

If its too crowded on the groom trail, ski a narrow corridor. A short radius turn is very important for the bumps and as Fearing mentions, change up on the tempo. Below is another vid of mogul turns done on the flats.

Last season I spent 30 days on short turn only, this season I did less, The time for mogul run open to public is precious, most time occupied by training team, around 3 hours each weekend day. so rest time, I do various short turns

TS
R

RichGuo

Booting up
Skier

from 2:50 to 3:40 is the short turn the U10 coach mentioned, I am starting to practice that turns on flat

Sponsor

Staff online