• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi,

Thanks to a Max pass and a Copper Season pass, I can get 5 days at Brighton, 5 at Solitude and 3 at Powder Mtn this year.I also get 5 days at Mt Bachelor.I have never skied at any of these areas.

I am trying to figure out if I would be better off going to SLC the first week of April during our Spring-break week, or a long weekend with or without kids in mid-January or mid-March. Or go to SLC area twice: one long weekend with my wife, then do the first week of April with the family, and skip Bachelor(cheaper and faster to fly to SLC)

Thoughts:
  • I have never tasted Utah's famous powder, going earlier improves the odds for good snow. Then can do a nice family spring trip to Mt. Bachelor
  • Going in April allows me to go up to 9 days, improving chances of catching fresh snow, easier to bring the kids. Kids would love to see friends in Parks City and do some horseback riding with them.
What would you advise a first time Utah visitor?

Last edited:

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's a bit hard to say this year... conditions in Utah might be good by mid-January, but so far they've been very dry, and the forecast's iffy. If you really want to travel to ski next month, Bachelor's probably a safer choice. March in Utah should be great, although it'll definitely depend a bit on the weather. Driving around might be a worry if you're hoping to hit all three areas... might be best to just focus on either PowMow or Big Cottonwood.

For April, conditions are likely to be good at all these areas. If you can afford lodging slopeside in Solitude Village, I'd go for that... even if you're going to be leaving a couple days for Park City or PowMow, the convenience of mostly staying slopeside seems like a good aim. In my experience, Brighton holds up best in warm weather, but you can still have fun at PowMow and Solitude even if it is warm.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't plan on Utah powder in April. That's just too late in the season. Most years, I'd say mid-January is safe, but not so much this year. We are BONE dry.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
The first week of April would be fine for the Cottonwoods. I'd rather ski April powder than January inversion/cold. And yes, we get plenty of powder in April.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
once or twice?? Now you starting to ask a complicated question. I'd say three times is better!
My way of thinking. SLC will be fine by mid-January, however it likely won't be 100% open, close too though, but likely plenty of skiing for a first timer. The snow will come!
Mid-Jan = Mid-March = 1st two weeks of April as far as chances of hitting a powder day.
Trouble is after you get past 3/1 you are taking more and more risk with hitting the odd warm front, w/ith or tough skiing because of daytime melting and nighttime freezing, but I wouldn't let any of that stop you. That's skiing, and if you taken enough "planned" trips you will hit all of that.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I think about it more, it indeed is more the question of Solitude/Brighton first week of April vs Mt.Bachelor or Fernie/Kicking Horse that week.

Dorm

Booting up
Skier
Given the April timeframe, it'd be a tossup because of the snow. A couple of good storms and you're golden. If the snow is equal, I'd definitely go to SLC instead of Bachelor. It's a shame too, that you must wait 'til April.

I've been to Bachelor once, and will not return. There are too many great ski resorts to go to rather than waste my time and money on Bachelor. It was an overall bad experience, mainly the resort staff and probably the ownership back then (2000'ish timeframe), but their marketing in-your-face vigor, over priced everything, give us your money;shut up and go away attitude did it for me and Bachelor.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn’t get any of that attitude when I’ve been to Bachelor, more recently than your unfortunate experience.

Bachelor can be great in the April, and the Summit will more likely be open than in mid-winter.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I have read several reports from Mt Bachelor, and none mentioned a bad experience, atmosphere wise. As you mentioned, they also have different ownership now.

I am more thinking which would be a better idea, Brighton/Solitude, vs Bachelor. Two things in favor of SLC area is that we have more lift tickets (only 5 for Bachelor), and the chance to see friends.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did SLC the 2nd week of April last year. 3 Solitude, 2 Alta and one day fishing the Provo. Solitude was like having a private ski resort to yourself. Snow was ice packed in the am but softened to skiable by about 10ish. It became soupy around 3:30-4ish. No lines so you can murder the laps in that amount of time. I will go back this year at the same time and if the skiing doesn't pan out the trout fishing will have to do.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did SLC the 2nd week of April last year. 3 Solitude, 2 Alta and one day fishing the Provo. Solitude was like having a private ski resort to yourself. Snow was ice packed in the am but softened to skiable by about 10ish. It became soupy around 3:30-4ish. No lines so you can murder the laps in that amount of time. I will go back this year at the same time and if the skiing doesn't pan out the trout fishing will have to do.

Good point on the fishing! We didn't manage that when we were there last summer, so that might be just the thing.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Flaming Gorge was fishing poorly due to high run off but the smaller streams were pretty good. Trout don't live in ugly places so there is that as well.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well found a good deal on flights with air miles, so SLC here we come!
Hope the snow coming down now will amount to something good by January 19th.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it doesn't, bring some egg patterens. Had some if my best fly fishing with them during January high pressure, waiting for snow.

But its looking much better today than a week ago.

Sponsor

Staff online