• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When one of your knees inexplicably starts acting up RIGHT before your much anticipated, expensive 4 day trip to Idaho!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Oh, and I was going to add, if wearing a brace eliminates pain, I think that’s good to go too. Just don’t mask pain with medication, don’t mask the message your body is sending you.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the knee is giving you issues when not skiing, after your trip, I recommend gentle yoga. You’ll strengthen supportive muscles as well as learn where any imbalances may be.

You also didn’t indicate your age....if you’re middle aged or older, arthritis creeps in.

My knees aren’t so great anymore. They don’t hurt when skiing, but sometimes afterward. I have noticed if I am not keeping up with strengthening supportive muscles, my knee Issues worsen.

Last edited:

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wrong! Walking and skiing are entirely different! I've limped from the car to the lifts many times only to have a killer day on the slopes. Admittedly none of those were knee issues but they were pretty significant: hip arthritis, slipped disc, and just today I skied with a pulled hamstring.

Every single time I've been anxious that it would be impossible to ski, but have found over and over again that it's easier to ski than to walk. And in most cases the walk back to the car has been a whole lot better, limp resolved. I.e. skiing = therapy.

So take some advil and make sure you've warmed up and stretched and you'll have a great time.

(Granted there are times when you just shouldn't go due to possible serious consequences, but this does not sound like on of those times.)

This.
I've skied and had a really enjoyable time with a torn meniscus. I was confined to groomers though. Walking was way more uncomfortable than skiing.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My knees are crap. Take some advil (or aleve) before skiing, combined with Tylenol. Astounding synergy.

In my experience, before the day's inflammation hits is FAR better than after the fact.

And fish oil. Damn good stuff, per just about everybody. But its magic lies in regular, long-term ingestion. It's not ideal for reducing acute pain.

Have a great trip!

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For those of you taking Turmeric - how much do you take and what kind? I just went back on it about 6 weeks ago but the reading online is SO confusing as to what a real dosage is and what kind you should be taking. Just want to check and see how mine stacks up . . .

I just sprinkle it into random stuff that I eat. The kind that is in the spice rack at Whole Foods. Or, I once made "Golden Milk" chia pudding, with almond milk, but that was kind of boring.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For those of you taking Turmeric - how much do you take and what kind? I just went back on it about 6 weeks ago but the reading online is SO confusing as to what a real dosage is and what kind you should be taking. Just want to check and see how mine stacks up . . .
I make a glass of the following bug juice as per directions - https://www.costco.com/qunol-liquid-turmeric-1,000-mg.,-30.4-ounces.product.100416094.html
I stock up when discounted on sale and have been using it for a good year as part of an anti-inflammatory diet. I haven't noticed a difference in my health since including Tumeric but it can't hurt, so...

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As my orthopedist says: whatever works.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, and I was going to add, if wearing a brace eliminates pain, I think that’s good to go too. Just don’t mask pain with medication, don’t mask the message your body is sending you.
Your point is well taken that you should listen to your body, but I would just like to point out there is a difference between NSAIDs which obviously are anti inflammatories vs analgesics which are pain relievers only.
It is important to know the difference and details of drugs you are taking and even review the biological mechanism of how they work.
Sometimes the message your body is sending you is I need help to reduce inflammation and medication is appropriate.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not aware of any NSAIDs that are not also analgesics. There are many analgesics that are not NSAIDs however (acetaminophen/Tylenol, opioids). There are also a number of non-NSAID anti-inflammatory medications which are not analgesics. These are used for inflammatory conditions like asthma attacks, allergic reactions, gout and autoimmune conditions to name a few. How's that for confusing.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
An ad for Opedix tights showed up on my Facebook home page. Looks interesting (opedix.com). Anyone have experience with it?

Sponsor