• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When one of your knees inexplicably starts acting up RIGHT before your much anticipated, expensive 4 day trip to Idaho!

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
Thank you everyone.

I don't abuse ibuprofen. In fact I don't like taking it. So if it can help me enjoy a weekend I'll go back to not taking it and dealing with a little pain on my regular ordinary days. I just can't have this trip be ruined and if 600mg of ibuprofen with my morning coffee will get me through a great day of skiing I'll be glad it exists and I'll respect it and not use it so much when I can get through a regular day without it.

And my new Shock Doctor 872 knee brace feels pretty good!

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
if you’re taking 600 or 800 mg of ibuprofen regularly during the trip watch you caffeine and alcohol intake to prevent GI upset and possible GI bleeding. Consider taking an over the counter H2 blocker like ranitidine (Zantac) or famotidine (Pepcid) one tablet of either twice a day to protect your stomach while you’re taking the ibuprofen.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For those of you taking Turmeric - how much do you take and what kind? I just went back on it about 6 weeks ago but the reading online is SO confusing as to what a real dosage is and what kind you should be taking. Just want to check and see how mine stacks up . . .

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
if you’re taking 600 or 800 mg of ibuprofen regularly during the trip watch you caffeine and alcohol intake to prevent GI upset and possible GI bleeding. Consider taking an over the counter H2 blocker like ranitidine (Zantac) or famotidine (Pepcid) one tablet of either twice a day to protect your stomach while you’re taking the ibuprofen.

Well now you're scaring me!

Maybe I'll knock it down to as needed and no more than 400mg of ibuprofen...and maybe the new knee brace is all I really need.

I am going with a friend that likes his beer...I like really good craft beer too but skiing takes the priority on ski trips (hope he won't be disappointed!) and I'll probably only have 2 beers a day, one with lunch and another after dinner...and that's providing it's drinkable - I find 95% of it isn't!

Oh, and I'll only do ibuprofen one time - in the morning.

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
I can't take NSAIDs because of a scary interaction with another medicine I have no choice in taking. Unfortunately that leaves me, if I have severe pain, dealing with opiods. I have definitely felt the tug of opiods when you dont hurt anymore but your body wants another. Scary stuff but I have been able to put it back on the shelf everytime. @Jenny Just checked and I am taking 450mgx2 on mornings that I ski (turmeric). The other nice thing is that Turmeric helps with mild allergies which always crop up in those dusty Dillon, Co AirBnB condos.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Copaiba is a good, possibly better, alternative to CBD and doesn't have the "baggage" of being derived from cannabis(if that sort of thing matters to you).

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Exercise and a little ibuprofen. I'll start with low weight and do leg curls and extensions, slowly increasing the weight once the knee is warmed up and stretched out. When done, I then do my typical leg stretches. Pain is gone after this work out, and will slowly subside with repetition. If you can't even do a low weight (for you) without pain, then see your doctor (something more serious is wrong). Exercise and stretching is better than herbal remedies. I have used knee braces to support them while skiing until the pain went away.

I'm headed to the gym after work to do this in preparation for MLK weekend.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Why do that when he can come here ... just last week we diagnosed the guy with a torn calf as having a blown ACL :geek: One page back post #11 we were turning the OP into a cyborg :ogbiggrin: Now if that's not good value for your dollar IDK what is :rolleyes:
Heck, we're better than a Holiday Inn Express!

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New England Journal of medicine 1994 study says the same thing but in easier terms to understand. I'll just post the summary

BACKGROUND
People who take analgesic drugs frequently may be at increased risk of end-stage renal disease (ESRD), but the extent of this risk remains unclear.
METHODS
We studied 716 patients treated for ESRD and 361 control subjects of similar age from Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C. The study participants were interviewed by telephone about their past use of medications containing acetaminophen, aspirin, and other nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). For each analgesic drug, the average use (in pills per year) and the cumulative intake (in pills) were examined for any association with ESRD.
RESULTS
Heavier acetaminophen use was associated with an increased risk of ESRD in a dose-dependent fashion. When persons who took an average of 0 to 104 pills per year were used for reference, the odds ratio of ESRD was 1.4 (95 percent confidence interval, 0.8 to 2.4) for those who took 105 to 365 pills per year and 2.1 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.1 to 3.7) for those who took 366 or more pills per year, after adjustment for race, sex, age, and intake of other analgesic drugs. When persons who had taken fewer than 1000 pills containing acetaminophen in their lifetime were used for reference, the odds ratio was 2.0 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.3 to 3.2) for those who had taken 1000 to 4999 pills and 2.4 (95 percent confidence interval, 1.2 to 4.8) for those who had taken 5000 or more pills. Approximately 8 to 10 percent of the overall incidence of ESRD was attributable to acetaminophen use. A cumulative dose of 5000 or more pills containing NSAIDs was also associated with an increased odds of ESRD (odds ratio, 8.8), but the use of aspirin was not.
Long term NSAID use and kidney disease is well established. If someone is taking NSAIDs regularly checking for kidney function annually is highly recommended.

Well now you're scaring me!

Maybe I'll knock it down to as needed and no more than 400mg of ibuprofen...and maybe the new knee brace is all I really need.

I am going with a friend that likes his beer...I like really good craft beer too but skiing takes the priority on ski trips (hope he won't be disappointed!) and I'll probably only have 2 beers a day, one with lunch and another after dinner...and that's providing it's drinkable - I find 95% of it isn't!

Oh, and I'll only do ibuprofen one time - in the morning.
If you’re otherwise healthy and not taking any medication that could potentially interact with ibuprofen or naproxen taking 400mg of ibuprofen 4 times a day or naproxen 500mg twice a day for a few days has a low risk of causing any issues. If you’re really worried about it, avoid the alcohol and take the medication with some food or milk.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Oxys and alcohol are the only pain killers that really work for me. I don't take them together. The alcohol has an unpleasant side effect that you may end up with a hangover the next day, and you can't take it while working, driving, or skiing. The Oxys have an dangerous side effect in that they make you feal really happy, happier than the alcohol makes you feal, and so you could get addicted.

Treatment depends on the cause of the pain though. If it's arthritis, you may want to try
http://phyto-med.com/en/

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Do not ski on that knee. Do not dull the pain to ski on that knee. Pain tells us something is wrong. Fix what’s wrong or risk further damage.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oxys and alcohol are the only pain killers that really work for me. I don't take them together. The alcohol has an unpleasant side effect that you may end up with a hangover the next day, and you can't take it while working, driving, or skiing. The Oxys have an dangerous side effect in that they make you feal really happy, happier than the alcohol makes you feal, and so you could get addicted.
Or worse yet, accidental overdose and death. The opioid epidemic is real.

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
Do not ski on that knee. Do not dull the pain to ski on that knee. Pain tells us something is wrong. Fix what’s wrong or risk further damage.

Appreciate your input but the pain was minor, causing a limp, and it was not due to any injury that I know of. I couldn't let it ruin my expensive and highly anticipated ski trip.

It has been holding up, giving me no pain, and I was skiing to the best of my ability prior to lunch.