• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When Mogul Skiing Was...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I skied a pair of those red Hart F-17s. They're now out on the fence. If I had some "h"art F-17s they'd still be indoors :)

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Some of my Mogul/Freestyle skis from 'back when'....

Bump 09.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
How come our infamous Colorado T.I.T.S. crew never goes for a MJ Bump day??? :huh: :popcorn: ;)

Here's the Rossignol Mary Jane 30th tribute ski (2006), just looking for someone to take them down Drunken Frenchman...

Rossi MJ 30th3.jpg
Rossi MJ 30th2.jpg
Rossi MJ 30th.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As much as I love watching modern bump skiing, seeded bumps, pre fashioned air jumps I love old school hot dog "freestyle" skiing more.

Modern bump skiing is dedicated pros all skiing the same manmande, seeded lines like machines. Old school freestyle on fully natural terrain was way more exciting, challenging, but not as awe inspiring..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Talking of seeded lines, anyone have a pic of that octopus-looking mogul-specific groomer?

Oh, and we have to be careful with the word 'freestyle' since it became a ski type designation all over again in the K2 Enemy/Rossi Scratch/Fischer Airstyle era.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Talking of seeded lines, anyone have a pic of that octopus-looking mogul-specific groomer?

Oh, and we have to be careful with the word 'freestyle' since it became a ski type designation all over again in the K2 Enemy/Rossi Scratch/Fischer Airstyle era.
That is a good thin IMHO..
Slopestyle and big air is more in line with the old school "freestyle" attitude than the current bump skiing is.. I'd like to see bump skiing added to X-games or slopestyle added to USSA/FIS Freestyle.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Slope style is in FIS freestyle even if the biggest events aren't

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Slope style is in FIS freestyle even if the biggest events aren't

I'd like to see a combined prize for the best SlopeStyle, Moguls, and Pipe or Big Air the way it used to be combined bumps, air, and ballet.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:popcorn:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When mogul ski started getting shorter than regular skis I cursed because the moguls got tighter. Later (much later) I realized that learning to ski this new mogul on 210's, 203's and 205 respectively further enhanced my ability. Begrudgingly I now admit it was a good thing as it forced me to be a better skier.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When mogul ski started getting shorter than regular skis I cursed because the moguls got tighter. Later (much later) I realized that learning to ski this new mogul on 210's, 203's and 205 respectively further enhanced my ability. Begrudgingly I now admit it was a good thing as it forced me to be a better skier.
Mogul specific skis were always a bit shorter. When Salomon came out with their "Force 9 3S", although they were the same ski as the S9000 3S, they were a size down, a PR8 in a Force was a PR7 in a S9000. Dynastar V8's were still sized traditionally 190/195/200/203/ect.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I never knew anyone personally that skied bumps competitively on anything over about a 203.. Most of the young adults were on 195s or 200s. I was on a 175 at 16 and a 190 at 17-18. I was really small though..

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mogul specific skis were always a bit shorter. When Salomon came out with their "Force 9 3S", although they were the same ski as the S9000 3S, they were a size down, a PR8 in a Force was a PR7 in a S9000. Dynastar V8's were still sized traditionally 190/195/200/203/ect.
It didn't help that all my skis were GS skis:)

Maybe I should added it meant commitment or should that be committed? ;)

Sponsor

Staff online