• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
When in doubt, I choose the red skis (for some practical reasons) and have advocated that for years. Red on the roulette wheel is red.

A coincidence? I don't think so.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
When looking for a ski one thing you have to watch out for is not to get caught up in the hype. The ski that is the flavor of the month or the ski that the shop has the most leftover and may be giving the sale team a little extra for a sale of that model. So when getting a recommendation look around and check to see if the shop has a ton of the ski they are recommending especially if it is near the end of the season.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure I understand what you mean by undersold? Did the salesman recommend the wrong ski in the wrong size or did you under estimate what the ski could deliver at a short length? Help me understand what went wrong with that purchase.
The way I understand it is, he was sold a ski beneath his ability because he walked into the shop hung up on that particular ski and the sales person let him buy it.
@pipestem did I understand correctly?

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
The way I understand it is, he was sold a ski beneath his ability because he walked into the shop hung up on that particular ski and the sales person let him buy it.
@pipestem did I understand correctly?

close. That particular pair, orange Atomic somethings, I got online. But in nearly (omfg) 40 years of skiing, i have acquired skis every way possible - stores in town, stores on the mountain, stores online, car trunks, slope swaps, friendly 'gifts', TGR, DCSKI, SKINC.... I like swap meets. I also tune my own skis and install my own bindings. I'm so rogue. ;-)

HOWEVER, my only point was to respond to the poster that said skiers often overrate themselves. I think some of us can chronically underrate as well. I was not making a point about best practices.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So far I’ve been lucky in never buying a ski I didn’t like ( though there are many that I don’t for various reasons).

My approach is look for a reviewer that skis similar in style as to what you ski (ie know as much about their skiing as possible) and the advice they give is likely on for what you need. There are several on this site that fit my bill.

When I give advice I clarify my style to ensure the reader understands where it coming from and my preferences. Without it, it is too open to be meaningful.

By no means is any advice the best, for some advice “A” is better than “B” and other the reverse, even though it is the same advice.

In short self understanding and understanding of the adviser are paramount to be meaningful.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I never ask height or weight when I talk to folks in the shop, but my summer gig has me well trained-

Sponsor

Staff online