• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When Katerina Nash comes to town - Tricia's journey back into biking

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is good you are finally getting the bike stoke going! We have some fun trails on this side of the lake too and also down in the Carson valley. I too like to ride smooth ribbons of dirt often.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Pumba I'm not sure about the mountain biking capabilities late into the fall. I think @4ster and @Brian Likes Pow may have a better idea.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I could meet you in Truckee anytime I'm not at work. My schedule rotates, but I'm off many Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Which days are you free?
The days that you and I seem to have off together are Monday and Tuesday, at the moment. My schedule may be changing in the near future.
Tuesdays tend to be best for me to get out and ride, but that depends on what is happening around us.
Dang its been hot!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This week I'm off Wednesday and Thursday. We rode a little bit in the heat of the day on Saturday. We found a nice shady trail, but still...yesterday was much better. Hope it's cooled down for you guys too.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At 10:45 AM here, its already 90º in the hills above Reno (5600 ft elevation)
If I don't ride early, I'm not sure I want to ride. Looks like a little relief later in the week.
Besides the heat, the pollen is crazy. I'm suffering today because of all the green dust I breathed in yesterday.

This week I'm off Wednesday and Thursday. We rode a little bit in the heat of the day on Saturday. We found a nice shady trail, but still...yesterday was much better. Hope it's cooled down for you guys too.
I'll be putting in some extra hours the next two weeks, in preparation of 4th of July tourism. Maybe we'll plan something after the holiday if we don't happen to get together sooner??

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I often use a neti pot to clear sinuses. I can understand how it might not be for everyone.
I use a neti pot. Sometimes my allergies just take me down anyway.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At 10:45 AM here, its already 90º in the hills above Reno (5600 ft elevation)
If I don't ride early, I'm not sure I want to ride. Looks like a little relief later in the week.
Besides the heat, the pollen is crazy. I'm suffering today because of all the green dust I breathed in yesterday.
Last summer we rode at Annadel on a 98 degree day. At least there there's a lake you can jump into to cool off.

I'll be putting in some extra hours the next two weeks, in preparation of 4th of July tourism. Maybe we'll plan something after the holiday if we don't happen to get together sooner??

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@Pumba I'm not sure about the mountain biking capabilities late into the fall. I think @4ster and @Brian Likes Pow may have a better idea.
As long as there is no snow on the trails mountain biking can be great in Tahoe anytime. Usually I am done when the ski areas open but last year for instance, there was decent snow above 8000' by the time Squaw opened mid November. There were plenty of days that I could ski in the morning and still mountain bike in the afternoon at & above lake level.
Like most places some of the best trail conditions are in the fall once a few storms have settled the dust and the overnight temps are colder.

November 2017...
F1091CAB-96D0-4D4C-BF00-7535C3A1EFFE.jpeg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Looks like some of the winters lately you could ride bikes in Tahoe in January! Hopefully not this year.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like some of the winters lately you could ride bikes in Tahoe in January! Hopefully not this year.
Don't say that!!!:nono:

But, sadly, we had a day in January that someone came into the shop and asked if we had any bikes. We did have 4 in the back, and ended up selling a Pivot....in JANUARY!!!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't say that!!!:nono:

But, sadly, we had a day in January that someone came into the shop and asked if we had any bikes. We did have 4 in the back, and ended up selling a Pivot....in JANUARY!!!

He said hopefully NOT this year. :crossfingers:

Glad you're out enjoying the trails! I thought I saw on the mountain biking thread that you've demoed a bike or two? Any thoughts on those?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Glad you're out enjoying the trails! I thought I saw on the mountain biking thread that you've demoed a bike or two? Any thoughts on those?
Fortunately, the shop where I'm working a couple days a week lets us take out demos.
I've demo'd the Cannondale Trigger W Size Small and the Cannondale Trigger Medium as well as the Pivot Mach 5.5 Medium.
I also put a dropper post on my Trek Fuel EX8 which was a game changer.
My notes so far:
The Trek Fuel is still a solid bike and I really enjoy it
The Cannondale Trigger runs small so the Small was too small.
I really enjoyed the Cannondale Trigger in a Medium, especially on the 4 mile gradual climb we did this morning, although I didn't *really* enjoy the climb ;)
I did part of the climb on the Pivot Mach 5.5 and preferred the Cannondale because I felt it was a little more nimble.
The Pivot handled the downhill really well, but so did the Cannondale Trigger.

I know that some people are crazy about Pivot, but I actually enjoyed the Cannondale Trigger a little better.
It probably depends a little on what your focus is.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's funny because I think you and I are the same height but I ride an XS mountain bike because of my short legs.

I rode a Specialized Rhyme Comp in Oregon last month and while I know some love them, I really didn't like it. I was so glad to get back on my Liv when I got home! Bikes, like skis, are so personal!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's funny because I think you and I are the same height but I ride an XS mountain bike because of my short legs.

I rode a Specialized Rhyme Comp in Oregon last month and while I know some love them, I really didn't like it. I was so glad to get back on my Liv when I got home! Bikes, like skis, are so personal!
Exactly.
I'm 5'6" but have longish legs. I think the things I liked about the Cannondale Trigger better had to do a lot with the geometry of the bike. I felt like I was over the back wheel a little more and thus, had more control.

EVERYONE told me that I was going to love the Pivot. I liked it but not as much as the Trigger.

Sponsor

Staff online