• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
It's possible to drown in powder hanging upside down from your skis just like in a tree well if you don't have the core strength to right yourself. Losing your poles in the fall could also lead to similar problems. Other than that, there is sometimes so much new snow that the lifts are buried... When that happens it's usually also too unstable to hike for turns.

Just want to put a stop to the myth that you can right yourself if you're upsides down in a tree well. You can unless you're just plain old lucky that you haven't slid in far enough and there happens to be a very large air pocket. You just can't. Even if you're ripped captain 6 pack. You also NEVER ski with pole straps attached tree well zone skiing or in avy terrain for that matter.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Yes, it can be too deep! I've had more than one occasion where all you could do was lean back & go straight down the steepest fall line on the mountain. Hell, I've had times when I've had to push most of the way. It can be a real danger if you get upside down or your skis get stuck and you can't reach to release them. I've learned to use extra caution on these days & stay close to other old tracks when possible. These kinds of powder days it's nice to have friends.
I've seen it too deep & heavy to go & too light to see or breathe both in the straight ski days & on modern fat skis.

..when the whole mountain is closed for avalanche control!

^or this^

I know a lot of people in Tahoe who thought it was "too much" last season but It sure was nice skiing big lines in May & June...

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
That's more the question I was asking. I've heard of people falling and having NARSID events in deep pow, but it's usually been attributable to a heart attack or some other serious injury that makes them unable to get their head up. I've never heard of it being so deep that anyone could risk NARSID from a simple fall while skiing.

I always figured that powder that deep would compact under its own weight enough to prevent that. I know talk of snorkels and holding your breath come up a lot, but I assumed that was more about the way the snow rises over you as you ski.... not literally sinking so much that if you stop, the snow covers over your head.

I've seen video of snowboarders going in head first and being unable to self rescue (maybe even on here) - all fun and games until you realise that your buddy really isn't digging himself out of that snowbank.

I think the key is that all powder is not created equal and while some may be blower you can swim around in, higher moisture snow will be more difficult to move and may already have compressed to lock you in pretty tight - if you've ever punched through or run out of speed to plane in deep snow it can be surprisingly difficult/energetic to drag your skis to the surface to get going again.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The solution:
(A few of you know this guy, and probably saw this on the news when it was on a few years ago :D) Taken at Snowbasin.
482096_4918399169828_1634941714_n.jpg
734974_596999083650707_748137351_n.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone ever experience anything like that? I've never thought powder could be that deep and not compact under its own weight! Can it really be that dangerous?
I haven't actually skied in powder that deep but I've been at a mountain that couldn't open lifts because digging them out was arduous with the insane amounts of snow.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The solution:
(A few of you know this guy, and probably saw this on the news when it was on a few years ago :D) Taken at Snowbasin.

Isn't that Bryce?
I remember that day. It was super deep & super light. I was coaching a group of the Kangaroos, a bunch of former gymnasts the tallest being maybe 5'. It was all I could do to play tail gunner & be ready to dig them out if one fell over. They were laughing, hooting & hollering while I was trying not too show my fear.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't that Bryce?
I remember that day. It was super deep & super light. I was coaching a group of the Kangaroos, a bunch of former gymnasts the tallest being maybe 5'. It was all I could do to play tail gunner & be ready to dig them out if one fell over. They were laughing, hooting & hollering while I was trying not too show my fear.
Yes, it is! I finally met Ryan from Face Shots this weekend. It'd be fun to have him follow us Puggers around in March. Maybe I can get marketing from Snowbasin involved with the gathering. :rolleyes:

Those Kangaroos are a hoot to watch!

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
What's a NARSID? Sounds like a PED to generate powder. Let Lance try it first.

Not sure if you're seriously asking or just cracking a joke, but for the benefit of anyone who's not aware, NARSID = Non Avalanche Related Snow Immersion Death. As in, the snow is deep, you get yourself buried in it, suffocate, and die.

I will use this opportunity to repost this excellent resource that everyone who skis in deep snow conditions should read: https://www.deepsnowsafety.org/

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another classic Epicski type thread. Keeping it alive over here...

Nah... those were more along the lines of "I went out to ski after they got four inches and really struggled... why don't they groom everything?" (Of course, I think those threads are fine too - they're educational.)

This one is more "I went out to ski after they got 6 feet and started to wonder if it might be dangerous."

And as soon as someone says "If you're not willing to die when skiing pow then you're a p$%sy and need to quit crying" we will have turned into TGR.

Sorry if the thread title was too "click-baity".

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Isn't that Bryce?
@Drahtguy Kevin says that's why he's jealous of @SkiNurse, at 4'13.5" she has the deepest powder days.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another classic Epicski type thread. Keeping it alive over here...
There's a big difference between
Oh No! I booked a trip to Vail because of the perfect groomers but it snowed 6 inches and I don't know what to do!
And
Holy shit! We got 7 feet of snow! How can we dig out so we can hit the sick terrain? Damn I can't find my snorkel!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just want to put a stop to the myth that you can right yourself if you're upsides down in a tree well. You can unless you're just plain old lucky that you haven't slid in far enough and there happens to be a very large air pocket. You just can't. Even if you're ripped captain 6 pack. You also NEVER ski with pole straps attached tree well zone skiing or in avy terrain for that matter.

Right, I was saying core stength might be required in deep powder. Tree wells are a lot more complicated with skis and poles hooked to foliage. I did not mean to imply that you're out of shape if you can't get righted in a tree well... bottomless powder with no other complications?? Core strength might come in handy there..

teledance

Booting up
Skier
Showed up at the ski hill on a closed day with 3' of fresh snow caught a free cat ride up with some other powderhounds all 5 of us jump on the skis and into the steepest run on Mtn. All 5 of us are basically stuck, we get down by skiing in and out of each other's tracks unable to maintain momentum for 3 linked turns, one run day. That night is cold Mtn opens the next day and we're skiing 10" of blower powder go figure.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's a big difference between
Oh No! I booked a trip to Vail because of the perfect groomers but it snowed 6 inches and I don't know what to do!
And
Holy shit! We got 7 feet of snow! How can we dig out so we can hit the sick terrain? Damn I can't find my snorkel!

Meh, Epic had plenty of core skiers. Just as many of core skiers as dentists. It is funny though how people without much skiing ability will complain about 6+ inches of powder. I like 12"+ storms because everyone who is left skiing after 1 PM knows what is up. Usually it is all locals.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like 12"+ storms because everyone who is left skiing after 1 PM knows what is up. Usually it is all locals.
Funny, I remember my first big snow day when I traveled west, maybe 18". I was unprepared to ski powder, but I was skiing with friends who had skills for it, and the patience to help me learn.
One of my travel companions was also struggling, was ego driven and cocky about it, so he decided that powder sucks, went off to the lodge and waited for us to get done skiing.

Its all about the attitude, like most things in life.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid