• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When golf gets in your head

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've had a long time debate about whether or not golf is a game or a form of torment.
That being said, I've enjoyed my horrible game as long as I look at it as a game.
Take a walk, get some exercise and hit some balls. Some okay shots. Some crappy shots. Some really awful shots, but I can enjoy it as long as its a game.
When I try to take it seriously, it gets in my head and there's no fun in that.

Then I read/watch this clip about Jordan Spieth. Someone who doesn't have the luxury of taking the low road and playing it like its just a game.
Jordan Spieth: 2016 Masters kind of haunted me.
https://www.golfchannel.com/video/spieth-2016-masters-kind-haunted-me/

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
modified winter rules year round here./
If yo absolutely tank the shot but you can walk to where that ball ended up in 15 steps or less (it doesn't count)
If you hit it off the tee and it doesn't leave the tee box ( it doesn't count)
if you hit the perfect shot down the middle of the fairway ( you can put it back up on a tee)
If you hit into the woods and you find the ball in 2 minutes or less AND you find a second ball (take one stroke off the hole)
hand wedges are legal.
you only keep score through the first 6 pack

As you can tell I don't take golf to seriously, I was the F&B director for a couple high end Country Clubs and had course privileges and actually got pretty good but in the long run it was more about entertainment value than it was about scoring.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I play "bogey golf", I play bogey as par and if I shoot in the 80's to me it like shooting under par. Honestly, I also enjoy going to the range, I bring a water bottle of my favorite brown liquid and mentally play a course that I have memorized (without the putting of course), either that or I will pick a target, say 140yds and hit 5-9 all to that target playing different shot shapes.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I play "flog", as in golf spelled backwards. Nornally end up somewhere in the high 80's if you count for real.

If i loose 2 balls, shot 2 over par, find 2 balls, w under. Mulligans are fine; this is not the PGA (unless money is involved).
If you aren't grinning and giggling, it is not good.
Wide right is a normal place to be.
If you are serious about it and we play together, I'm going to try and get inside your head (because that can be entertaining too).

Played yesterday and the neighborhood bullring just got some of the 1 man standup golf carts that look like an off-road electric skateboard. Know what is going to happen the next round there. :golfclap:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I play "flog", as in golf spelled backwards. Nornally end up somewhere in the high 80's if you count for real.

If i loose 2 balls, shot 2 over par, find 2 balls, w under. Mulligans are fine; this is not the PGA (unless money is involved).
If you aren't grinning and giggling, it is not good.
Wide right is a normal place to be.
If you are serious about it and we play together, I'm going to try and get inside your head (because that can be entertaining too).

Played yesterday and the neighborhood bullring just got some of the 1 man standup golf carts that look like an off-road electric skateboard. Know what is going to happen the next round there. :golfclap:
I want to play with you!!!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wait....that may not have come out right...:)
Hope you get it

James

Out There
Instructor
The beginning- that's what it's like trying to figure out what a drunken Scotsman is saying. Actually, they don't even need to be drunk.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The beginning- that's what it's like trying to figure out what a drunken Scotsman is saying. Actually, they don't even need to be drunk.
Still one of the best bits about golf EVER!

BTW, there is a longer version of that which cracks me up on different planes.

"if you want to go on a linguistic adventure, go drinking with a Scotsman"

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
...and several large dogs

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid