• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When do you start your new count?

• Total voters

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, for some who ski year round like @Stev who is close to being able to count past consecutive months to consecutive decades, it never ends. When do you start counting your days in the new season? If you had 89 days in the 15-16 season, when do you start counting days for the next season?

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Yes, for some who ski year round like @Stev who is close to being able to count past consecutive months to consecutive decades, it never ends. When do you start counting your days in the new season? If you had 89 days in the 15-16 season, when do you start counting days for the next season?

I start counting days in a new season when enough new snow falls AND accumulates to be skied on. This usually occurs some time in October around here. If there is a late start to the season, it can happen in November either through Mother Nature's efforts or being cold enough for man-made snow at a resort.

I also consider patchskiing to be post-season skiing (sort of like the playoffs.) I am skiing in the summer on the past winter's snow, so those days are added to the current season.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I start counting days in a new season when enough new snow falls AND accumulates to be skied on. This usually occurs some time in October around here. If there is a late start to the season, it can happen in November either through Mother Nature's efforts or being cold enough for man-made snow at a resort.

I also consider patchskiing to be post-season skiing (sort of like the playoffs.) I am skiing in the summer on the past winter's snow, so those days are added to the current season.
Vote, use the poll above.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
For me the ski season starts in the fall when the first swap we attend starts up which is Columbus weekend. My actual day count officially starts when my skis first hit the slopes which is usually thanksgiving weekend.

steamboat1

Booting up
Skier
Whenever my first day on skis is, usually Nov./Dec. Can't vote because that's not one of the choices. Just because it may have snowed doesn't mean my season started until I actually get out there & ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Whenever my first day on skis is, usually Nov./Dec. Can't vote because that's not one of the choices. Just because it may have snowed doesn't mean my season started until I actually get out there & ski.

I added "When MY rsort opens", that should do it.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I follow the water year / fiscal year calendar.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd go a little further than "when the first NA resort starts turning the lift". I'd say it isn't officially open until the base is sufficient to STAY OPEN. Managing to blow enough snow to open one or two trails for three or four days in October then close doesn't count. When they finally have enough base and stable enough temps to STAY open should be the official start date..

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd go a little further than "when the first NA resort starts turning the lift". I'd say it isn't officially open until the base is sufficient to STAY OPEN. Managing to blow enough snow to open one or two trails for three or four days in October then close doesn't count. When they finally have enough base and stable enough temps to STAY open should be the official start date..

But the question also is when does the previous season end ... and surely you wouldn't consider a few days in October 2016 to be more part of 15/16 than 16/17?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For me, it is when Abay opens. All those little po-dunk places that blow a pile and call it a ski run don't count.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Interesting. Our son coaches, year round. Just got back from over a month in Europe. About to chill for a short bit then head to back to the snow. Last on snow skiing in North America was in July. He's at it year round. In his world, the murky ground is May. April is clearly "this year", June is "next year", May is sort of the middle ground. By summer, they're normally on new skis, and working on laying the ground work for the upcoming competitive schedule, so it's begun. Depending on age, they have already had 2016-2017 race starts.

For me, in New England, the season starts when there's enough snow to make it enjoyable. Not a huge fan of then or two trail WROD. So it's normally sometime in December. And in the spring, it's when the snow is minimal, or the lifts stop spinning. Last few seasons, that's been about the same time....late April at our home. We're ready for summer stuff by then. If the snow is right for a trip or two to Tuckerman's, I guess that extends the season.

We're not lucky enough to have the option to hike for those neat snow patches at Western elevations, and to keep it going!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
But the question also is when does the previous season end ... and surely you wouldn't consider a few days in October 2016 to be more part of 15/16 than 16/17?
I'd treat that the same as skiing a couple days in June or July or August or September.. Previous season until the base for the new season is solid.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If I really could ski all year in the same hemisphere at least once each month I'd call the equinox the end/beginning.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm not sure hiking for a couple 100 yards of snow is 'skiing', but to each their own...

Is riding a lift or a rope tow on a race hill for a couple hundred yards of snow at some 250 foot vert Midwestern hill skiing?:huh:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
For me the real season starts when the crowds kick in. Up until then it all just hanging with friends drinking beer making a few early season turns but I still count the days.
31Dec15 Crowds.jpg

Lower Chute under the Slowdon Quad -Killington

Sponsor

Staff online