• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
I know, it’s really early and I shouldn’t obsess. My daughter and I have a 10 day trip planned for Whistler Blackcomb at the end of February. I realize that’s a long way off, and I picked that time of the year hoping to increase the odds of having good snow. This will be her first trip there as college soccer got in the way of her opportunity to go the last 2 years.

Dad’s doing his snow dance from Georgia.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I wouldn't worry..the snow will be there at the top half anyway...even half of Whistler is still pretty decent..

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
You'll have plenty of snow. Just do the cold weather dance so when it does snow it stays solid all the way down to the village.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
The base has has been slower developing than usual but it's only November and your holiday is in prime time, don't worry.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
In my 40+ years of skiing in BC the worst that I can recall for Whistler was over a dozen years ago when they where laying off staff in early January and referring some guests to Sun Peaks (the owners of SP also own 25 % of WB). This only lasted for a couple of weeks and by Feb. of that season coverage was normal.

Whistler, of all the resorts in North America, is one of the top places for huge storms and dramatic weather changes.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any ski trip is a gamble if you aren't a risk taker, but it's a pretty good bet. Last year Colorado had a very weak start and didn't come in to it's own until... February or so. It happens, but you have hedged your bets well, booking in February and I've never known Whistler not to open at all or shut so historically you're odds are very very good for a great ski week. The village is lively and fun with lots of activities on top of skiing, with almost 5200 vertical feet and 8100 acres of ski terrain it can be half closed and still have more terrain than most resorts in North America. The top two thirds of Whistler is still equal to the largest resorts with Great Terrain. Worst case scenario, if the snow was not everything you wanted it to be you are in a good position to do an over night trip to one of the not so far awesome BC resorts, like 6 hour trip to Revelstoke, or go heli ski a day, I've never had a bad trip to BC, scenery is incredible, and there's lots of things to see and do. A day in Vancouver is extremely popular also as people beat themselves up on the terrain and take a day off midweek. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If the dry snow of the B.C. interior beckons, I can confirm that Sun Peaks was the first to open in B.C. and now has skiing on all 3 mountains with 5 out of 6 chairs running (and a 7th still being built). There are a couple of double black runs and close to a dozen black runs and about 40 blue runs open. 30cm/12" of new snow in the past week.

TS
mcpowell

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
So I’ve been keeping an eye on the Carleton “Live Whistler Webcam” over the last few days. And I keep thinking “why does the sun never change”?

At least from here, it’s on a repeating loop where there’s no snow next to the Whistler Gondola. I guess I’m a bit slow, but at least it looks like they’re making snow now.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And if you insist on looking at cams, stick to the mid/upper mountain cams which is where you’ll want to ski anyways.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So I’ve been keeping an eye on the Carleton “Live Whistler Webcam” over the last few days. And I keep thinking “why does the sun never change”?

The sun in the webcam that you see everyday is a CGI.
I know that because I spent a season there and only seen the sun for about 10 separate days. Briefly, I may add.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good to hear @KingGrump , I was worried I saw rain in the village and I start skiing Saturday and I see lots of snow for South Carolina this weekend lol, so was figuring it was all backwards.

TS
mcpowell

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
Wait! What?

Snow in South Carolina!? That’s only a few hours of driving. But to be honest, it’s just not the same.

I have been watching OpenSnow diligently and there’s a lot of snow coming hopefully. The longer range snow predictions have been seemingling “petering out”, but this forecast looks a bit more robust.

I appreciate everyone’s efforts/snow-dances.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Just looked at Weather Network..they're forecasting 6' of snow (yes six feet) in the alpine at Whistler over the next 6 days... Soo.... :hail::golfclap::eek::beercheer::yahoo:

Sponsor

Staff online