• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your thoughts on this "Tuning" Kit?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you for all these infos! I appreciate the home made vise design. I saw a table on an other thread but for waxing I thinks it overkills.
So, I bought:
- iron for 45$
- plexi wax scrapper for 5$
- set of brushes for 47$

Was planning to buy:
- wax for 23$
- diamond stone for 35$ Do you know this brand? Was thinking that maybe later this kit would be great for edges tuning but might go to your cheaper recommendation.

Good choices so far.
Hertel hot sauce is a good one to start with. Almost any universal wax will do as a starter.

Diamond stone wise. Much will depend on one's preference. Most diamond stone are a sheet of tape with diamond grits in various patterns glued to a either plastic or aluminum backing plate. Some prefer the rigid aluminum plate, I prefer the feel of the softer plastic of the Moonflex. The major take away is to start with a 200 grit. I carry that in my pocket while skiing to knock down any burrs I pick up while skiing. When I am tuning, I generally start with a more aggressive 100 grit stone to remove the burrs before edge sharpening.

Regarding the kit. I would say hold off until you develop a feel for working with skis. TBH, I am not a Beast tool fan. Wrong feel for me. OTOH, many here love the Beast stuff. As I said, preference.

There are many tuning threads you can browse through to get ideas. Here are two video from the Toko guy on side edge and base edge tuning. Lots of good solid ideas.

I did not even know that scraper sharpeners were a thing. The more I know the more I sink into madness :D

1599585033337.png

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are staring out and just looking to wax your skis, you do not need a fancy vise. Just screw together couple pieces 2x6. Cover the top with a piece of foam weatherstripping or scrap carpet. The foam/carpet is to keep the skis from sliding around. You will need two of them. Nothing fancy. It looks like this.

Vise - Center Block.jpg
Thank you for not making me find my photos. :) I'm kind an anti-vice type of guy.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Flo , you could even get this for diamonds to start off.

Diamond files are not just for skis. So other places do sell good diamond files for same or less. I would have to do some digging where I purchased my last set.

Sponsor

Staff online