What's your thoughts on this "Tuning" Kit?

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Long term, no. What they are is self-consistent in the short term.

So what you don't want to do is use a metal one-piece guide to establish edges and then use a plastic multi-edges to polish, and that mismatch will get worse the older the plastic multi-edger gets.
For sure. I'm wondering if a brand new SKS-style tool at 2* is anywhere near 2* in anyone's experience?

James

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I’ve got one that’s sat in a box for prob twenty years. Just too much of a hassle to use and not worth it. Just get one fixed angle and a file.
It probably has the most usefullness to do a base edge. But just have the shop do it. I don’t think there’s any cheap base edge guides worth anything. Maybe the Beast. (The originals were terrible. Got a bunch of those too sitting around.)
For sure. I'm wondering if a brand new SKS-style tool at 2* is anywhere near 2* in anyone's experience?
What’s that? Got a photo? They make a bunch of different ones.
If you’re always using the sane guide, absolute accuracy doesn’t matter. But most plastic ones are adjustable. That’s an issue.

Doug Briggs

Skiing the powder
Industry Insider
Pugski Ski Tester
I am looking at the vise and think it looks a lot like my Swix vise in size and features; the Swix doesn't let the tip and tail supports don't tip to an angle, though.

The vise system is great for race skis as the middle clamp will grab the plate and/or sidewall nicely. It won't hold skis that have rounded or sloped sidewalls as well. The tip and tail supports aren't that wide either. For instance my Rangers with their Aero design (rounded top sheet; think railroad car roof) don't sit well on a similar vise nor do my powder skis.

Sibhusky

Whitefish
Skier
What I decided on the adjustable guides was that when you change from one angle to another, it wasn't always settling exactly in the same position, that it was very slightly different. Maybe not in a major way, but enough to make the edge duller. A similar issue with some guide clamps which would allow the stone to shift because it wasn't held firmly in all directions against the guide.

Atomicman

Getting off the lift
Skier
ZNot a fan of the Beast stuff. got rid of all of it. SVST is the way to go. Spendy, but will last & last.......I particularly am not a fan of their side edger. It is awkward and easy to misuse. Also a pain in the ass wiht thier hold down plate. Spring clamp and an SVST with shim plates is the way to go. You are working on sports equipment worth how much? Don't be chinsy on the tools.

Jaques loves Beast stuff....I respectfully disagree. And I know the inventory

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... once...
Skier
Surprisingly, the tuning kits linked on the first page of this page have not dropped in price since the links where posted....

Atomicman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not a fan of the Beast stuff. got rid of all of it. SVST is the way to go. Spendy, but will last & last.......I particularly am not a fan of their side edger. It is awkward and easy to misuse. Also a pain in the ass wiht thier hold down plate. Spring clamp and an SVST with shim plates is the way to go. You are working on sports equipment worth how much? Don't be chinsy on the tools.

Jacques loves Beast stuff....I respectfully disagree. And I know the inventor
Should say I know the inventor, as does Jacques.