• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your thoughts on this "Tuning" Kit?

offtraildog

Booting up
Skier
I only freehand my axes and my cheap chisels. I have a nice chisel set that I use a jig for on a couple waterstones.. using a really sharp chisel is fun .. shaving thin pieces of wood.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
What do y'all think of the plastic Beast edgers?
BEAST tools are good. For side edges you want the Pro model. For sidewall plane you want the 7 degree plate that fits the Pro. Everyone has their preference. I use BEAST and do fine work with them.
Sometimes it's not the guide, it's who is using it. Practice.

TS
C

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
BEAST tools are good. For side edges you want the Pro model. For sidewall plane you want the 7 degree plate that fits the Pro. Everyone has their preference. I use BEAST and do fine work with them.
Sometimes it's not the guide, it's who is using it. Practice.

How about the base edger? That plastic thing?

And when you say Pro, are you talking about the "Side of Beast"?

Jacques

Skier
How about the base edger? That plastic thing?

And when you say Pro, are you talking about the "Side of Beast"?

That plastic thing is a fine base bevel guide. Base bevel guides are quite a simple thing.
Some like this one, and some like that one.
Again the results will be from the hand the wields the guide.
Yes, Side Of The BEAST Pro is the way to go.
Don't put your cart ahead of the horse. Just start tuning.
It takes a long time to truly master the skill, but you have to start somewhere.
No mater what guides you decide on it will be your skill, and feel for what is happening, that determines the quality of the work. Good luck.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the SVST guide. Mostly depends whether you want to use a spring clamp or built-in screw clamp. Personal preferences vary.
s-l640.jpg

Jacques

Skier
I like the SVST guide. Mostly depends whether you want to use a spring clamp or built-in screw clamp. Personal preferences vary.
s-l640.jpg

With a strong clamp, okay, maybe!
BEAST places the angle plate above, so when used correctly, one cannot apply too much pressure to change the angle.
There are a few others that follow suit.
I will never use a spring clamp.
Here we go with all the aftermarket clamping devices!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A good spring clamp and a thumb work fine.
If you are pressing hard enough that having the file or stone come off the guide is a danger, you are also in danger of losing contact between the guide plate and the base of the ski.

Let's just leave it as "Personal preferences vary".

Jacques

Skier
For me, the clamp just holds the stone or file in place so I can line things up and put my thumb on the file or stone; my thumb(s) applies the force to hold the file in line with the guide while filing. My thumbs are strong.

Ha ha. You got Popeye thumb!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
At times, the integral clamping feature gets in the way of mounting a file for best utilization of file area sharpness and cutting angle. My preference is for a shearing cut. Something about those long curly slivers stuck in my fingers I guess ;-)

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
I started with a very similar kit from Racewax. Used the multi tool for a couple of seasons -even set some edges with it - but after some regular use you could feel the slop creeping in. Upgraded to some fixed angle guides and use them now.
Same here ,multi tool is Ok but takes lot of time and cleaning every few pass . Fixed with medium File much easy and faster.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Bit of a bump/revival here...
I am aware of the MANY limitations of the SKS-style multi edge tool being discussed. My question is simply, "Are the side-edge angles accurate?" I know that some of you have the ability to measure these sort of things...

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don’t knock the plastic multi guide, little care and caution works extremely well. It also give you a good idea what angles you need to buy in better tools by allowing experimentation with huge expense.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My question is simply, "Are the side-edge angles accurate?" I know that some of you have the ability to measure these sort of things...

Long term, no. What they are is self-consistent in the short term.

So what you don't want to do is use a metal one-piece guide to establish edges and then use a plastic multi-edges to polish, and that mismatch will get worse the older the plastic multi-edger gets.