• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your thoughts on this "Tuning" Kit?

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
I'm going to say this is more of a glorified waxing kit ... as in it comes with the tools to tune with.

So is there a better deal on a similar kit for a DIY kind of person?

BTW, I have tuned skis in the past, but that was decades ago... And I figured I'm better off getting a kit since it's about an hours drive to the closest shop.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree...It's a great start for $200.00
The vise alone is $90.00
Like Francois mentioned...Pick up a fixed angle side file guide and a spring clamp.
Enjoy!!!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll add to the chorus, get a real (fixed) edge guide. And add a coarse stone for rock hits.
But even so it is a good deal.

I think racewax puts the "kit" together (rather than getting it that way), so maybe they would be amenable to upgrading for a fee less than buying a real guide separately. Can't hurt to ask.

In fact, why aren't there kits with real guides in the first place?

TS
C

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
In fact, why aren't there kits with real guides in the first place?

I think it's marketing. I feel the average consumer sees these kits and says .. "Hey, one tool that's adjustable, and it's cheaper."

For now, I think I'm going to order this kit sometime tonight because I think it might be the best bang for the buck. If someone posts something that's a better deal by this evening, I'll go with that...

Dang.. I wish there was a shop close by, where I could get a part time job to see what's all changed in the last 30 years.. Without that and none of my friends skiing these days, I guess I'm left to the internet to relearn.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Several of the items in the package are made in China and sold under the XCMAN brand http://www.xcman.com/ you could probably obtain them for less if you purchased them either directly or via AliExpress. As others have said a fixed angle side edge file guide would be a better option.

TS
C

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
Ok.. I called Racewax and they won't make any substitutes.. So the packages are what they are. They were hoping to eventually do a build your own kit, but he no time frame since the website would need to be re-coded. I almost opened up my big mouth to offer to do it.. LOL

Well, being that I have the give me's.. I went ahead and ordered. Mark, I think was his name, stated that having the multiangle tool wasn't a bad idea, even if adding the fixed angles because one could use it to check what the existing angle of the edge was.

offtraildog

Booting up
Skier
When I was buying my tune-up setup, I appreciated how helpful Marc (Racewax) was. He often suggested the least expensive product/approach and he was patient answering all my questions. I ended up with everything I needed.

James

Out There
Instructor
I have that multi tuner thing in bright yellow. It's sat unused for 20 years. I used it at one time. I should prob try it again, but it's cringe worthy. I do have some skis destined for the landfill though, to see if it's as bad as I thought 20 years ago.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well, being that I have the give me's.. I went ahead and ordered. Mark, I think was his name, stated that having the multiangle tool wasn't a bad idea, even if adding the fixed angles because one could use it to check what the existing angle of the edge was.

Yes and no - that tool, particularly as it wears, develops slop in the degree-setting screw mechanism. It can get to where there's quite a mismatch between 3 degrees (fixed angle tool) and 3 degrees indicated on the multiangle tool.

This is not generally a problem if you're just using the DMT diamond stones for removing impact burrs - the stones don't really reset the edge at all. If you use the file insert, it's a different story. That file insert is coarser than most of the 2nd cut files the tuners around here use, and it will change the edge angles faster than it gets them sharp.

The other disadvantage of the FK/SKS multiangle tool is that it only holds the 75mm stones straight across. Your stones will develop cut marks and accelerated wear in a line across them.

The big advantage of a fixed guide is that it will hold files and stones at any cut angle. This is particularly useful for 2nd cut files (you turn the file in the holder until you get long shavings, smoothly, in a single pass) and for shaping sidewalls with a pansar file. It is also useful for minimising single-line wear on diamond stones.

Anyway - enough wet blanket from me - try to get a fixed angle guide before you wear out two blue stones. (Blue will be the one you most use - R and G are just polishing the work B does). You will probably have bought a separate sidewall cutter before then.

Last edited:

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I started with a very similar kit from Racewax. Used the multi tool for a couple of seasons -even set some edges with it - but after some regular use you could feel the slop creeping in. Upgraded to some fixed angle guides and use them now.

offtraildog

Booting up
Skier
I tune my current skis all the same at 1/2 so I went with the World Cup fixed angle Base & Edge tools by Swix. I sharpen my own knives and have spent lots of money on stones, sharpening system, etc so taking a similar approach with ski edges makes sense to me i.e. invest in tools that give the ability for as much precision as possible. As a recreational skier, that extra miniscule level of precision will translate to nothing on the slopes but I have fun working with quality tools and trying to do the best job possible for my own satisfaciton :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Plastic multi angle gizmos give you little feel for anything. So, you spend all that time and don’t gain much other than interacting with the gizmos. There’s no feel developed at all.

Here’s a rant on sharpening jigs for knives. (You do need angle guides for skis.)
0:55 + :

James

Out There
Instructor
haha .. mine is a little more sophisticated ... https://wickededgeusa.com/
Just like there are some folks really into edge tuning and waxing, some people using this knife sharpener are really into finely polished blades
Yeah I see the point in those. I wouldn’t mind one or the Edgepro. If you need to sharpen something and not scratch whatever coating is on the blade, that would be the choice.
You do freehand too on stones?

James

Out There
Instructor
What do y'all think of the plastic Beast edgers?
The side ones? - don’t bother. Sort of a waste.
Have one, I gave for travel to someone years ago. It came back, never gets used. I use the metal one sll the time. Have two.
I’m not a fan of the base ones either. I had a set of the early ones, they’ve improved it by connecting the edge side plastic. They might be ok now.