• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your scraper quiver?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember to sharpen your scrapers frequently! :D

And they work best with actual snow tires, not all-seasons!

Seriously, @Andy Mink nails it with the Rain X idea. It's biggest "off label" benefit is that ice scraping is about 10 times easier.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Great thread. Since my brush is years old and has seen better days, I too wondered if there were reviews for brush/scrapers. As for the witch's broom, I only use this when there is more than a foot of snow on my car and take off a layer only. I don't want to scratch my paint.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A friends grandson makes this in Calgary from used hockey sticks. I might need to purchase one.

upload_2018-10-22_9-56-37.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch this? Have these in car too.

No - the back face of the plastic on that one is for cracking ice. I'm talking about the ones that, when you flip it so the plastic is away from the windscreen they show a hard urethane or rubber wiper, about 85A hardness. Much harder than normal squeegees; you can actually sharpen the rubber with a penknife if you wish.

I kept my old German one - from when Fox was an Audi - for about 25 years and I haven't been able to replace it since.

The rubber is for getting caked salt and sand crust off and out of places where, if you pressed in with plastic, it would leave massive scratches in the paint or glass.

Example? Pic?

Home Depot and Amazon sell a 4 way one that has both the ice breaker and the rubber salt crust scraper but it is MUCH clunkier than the 2-way one I am thinking of.
You can see the clunky one in the pic.

IMG_20181022_122018.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Quirky-Thor-Automotive-Collapsible-Scraper/dp/B005ZA0IRK?tag=hicons-20

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have to say the Thor came in super-useful today, especially getting the dense wet snow from in between the Jeep roof rails.