• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So there's been a last minute restructure of the quiver thanks to @dawgcatching

Fx84
Enforcer
Stockli sr107

And of course 2 pairs of Grass Sticks. @Grass Sticks

Watch for a ski blowout sale. Patrons, bmx108 and Scott 185. Help support my cause.
You are going to like the 107. What happened to getting the 88? :huh:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Aside from specialty skis, the final line up is in:

Head Titan, Rev 85 pro, Enforcer, new Bodacious.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Marko,

When that Rev 85 Pro needs to be turned over, what would you lean toward as a replacement? I'm sure you have an idea or two.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Marko,

When that Rev 85 Pro needs to be turned over, what would you lean toward as a replacement? I'm sure you have an idea or two.
Chances are the ski has not been released yet or he cannot talk about it publicly.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I'd be absolutely fine with a monster 88 as a replacement.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Enforcer. Might get them in 185 and 193.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, I was wondering if that might be a contender. It is for me, in a very similar group.
What are you looking for in a ~85mm ski? Or, put another way, what do you want this hypothetical ski to do for you (and apologies if I missed it, but what is your height/weight)?

If I had a Rev85 and had to replace it, I would go with a Monster 88 if I wanted a bit more beef and a bit less nervousness; If I wanted similar characteristics of the Rev, but a skosh more precision, I would get the Rally. If I wanted to experience what it feels like to have the extra smoothness of a ski with the sandwich construction that included the skins of brutally (illegaly?) tenderized baby seals, I would get the Stormrider 88. If I wanted just what the Rev85 offers, I'd get a new-in-wrapper Rev85 from someplace...

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I never find the 184 Rev 85 pro nervous. The 177, yes, but not the 184. I wouldn't have any trouble skiing another pair of Rev's. Honestly, I prefer the Rev and the monster to the SR 88... Blasphemy, I know.

Supergaper

Slaying it gently.
Skier
This years quiver:

Quiver '15.jpg

Plus a Kastle West 190cm
and Stockli Super Cross 177cm

Think I'm covered for this year.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
I never find the 184 Rev 85 pro nervous. The 177, yes, but not the 184. I wouldn't have any trouble skiing another pair of Rev's. Honestly, I prefer the Rev and the monster to the SR 88... Blasphemy, I know.
Thanks for the feedback. I have only been on the 170 and 177 Rev85, hence my experience with their skittishness. I don't consider it a bad thing, I think the Rev85 177 is fantastic, but its sensitivity is something one should be prepared to accommodate. Now you have me wanting to try a 184!

If I had to pick an 88, it would be the Monster as well, regardless of who was buying it for me. I like its collection of attributes the best, even stacked against the MX and the SR (but I wouldn't kick the SR out of bed for leaving crumbs, it is rather smooth, and I am a lighter skier than you).

Mark, I have been meaning to ask you about the Bodacious (your old ones, and now the new), what draws you to them? I have been on the '12 Cochise 185 at Kirkwood, and I thought it was unusually quick in trees for its dimensions (good), but not a game changer in soft snow (meh). What makes the Bodacious your pick for a fattie?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The first pair, by accident really. Year one, PSIA pro deal was out of the Cochise. I can't remember the thought process, but I ordered the B thinking it would kick my butt. Strangely, it didn't. Matter of fact I really liked it. A lot. Did pretty much everything and all turn shapes at all speeds I could make it go. v2.0, we'll see.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
This is a bit of a drift and I think a new thread may need to be started to discuss the monster 88 as more folks get Time on the snow. Can members and testers speak to the 88's bump and variable ability in the 177? That' would be my length and I'm sure the most popular. I am only guessing but I think there are many out there who feel the MX88 tail is a bit too carving centric (doesn't release well by design imho) in bumps. I skied the MX 88 several years back in really crappy variable conditions and loved it but not so crazy about it in bumps. I spoke to Bumpfreaq recently about this too. It made me feel much better to hear him say the same.

I want to test the Monster,MX and Stockli 88 in a head2head2head ski-off.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Oh, in my explaination above (that I can no longer edit :) ). Blizzard was out of the Cochise for pro orders, so I did the Bodascious. At the time, most other fat skis had a ton of clown shoe rocker that I didn't want.

Ron, I have a hunch you'll like both the SR and Monster, but will lean toward the SR. I put the Monster closer on the spectrum to the MX than the SR, and if everything were equal, my choice is really about length with the 184 Monster hitting the sweet spot for me vs either the 178/188 MX. The monster has the Rev tail shape which releases more easily than the MX in the bumps. IMHO, all three skis mentioned are superlative products. I'd love an MX in a 182-4. The bigger question is economic. Do either the MX or SR ski several hundred dollars better than the monster? I know my answer, but I understand if others chose to allocate their resources differently.

I've posted on Epic that the SR would ski better for a number of MX riders who are in fact a bit over powered by their MX's. it's a little like comparing an MX 98 to the E100 and Nrgy 100. The E100 is a little easier to ski for most people than the MX, and the Nrgy a bit easier again than the E100. All three work well for skilled skiers who maintain cuff contact well and much less so for those who don't. The new Enforcer seems like a Vulcan mind meld of most of the best qualities of the three. :)

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a Masters demo day yesterday focused mostly on race skis, but there were rec models available too, followed by a get together in the shop with the reps from Stockli, FIscher and Head. All three brands are worthy but after skiing a bunch of models of each I feel as though Stockli is at another level particularly for racers although Fischer has the best plate for GS. Since they don't have race on the wall Kastle was neither tested nor there. There will be Stockli brand creep in my quiver.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Did they have a Rebels iSpeed Pro?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They had the iSpeed and FIS but not the Pro. I didn't try the FIS in GS but did in the SL. I could be happy with the GS I think but there was nothing injected to ski on yesterday.

I'm used to engagement on Atomics SL whereas the Head is more even flexing so it wasn't out of the box friendly for me.

One of the reasons I'm now partial to Stockli is their manufacturing process and materials utilize a polyurethane bonding agent which doesn't break down like eproxy resin. It's a pain changing out race skis particularly if you like them. With Stockli the life of the ski will tie to edges remaining as opposed to internal breakdown. This is true for their recreational models as well.

Sponsor

Staff online