• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, which 95-106 skis are you looking at, and are you also looking for an SL ski?
The usual suspects, at first whatever I can easily demo at Killington's demo days in early December, but leaning more to the low 90's: Rossi E94, Enforcer 93, etc. It probably says more about my bias and skill level (or lack thereof), but I've not concerned myself with a SL ski due to my height and weight. I'm certainly open to demoing one.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
but still thought we own too many at a total of 5 pairs of skis between us.

We are not talking about "need" here. More like a "want". Just have to think like a sales person and figure out what is their hot button. Turned Mamie around a few years back. She now has 5 pairs of skis in her current quiver. Haven't pick up anything for next year yet.

And I really do not want to get into talking about my quiver. :cool:

but I've not concerned myself with a SL ski due to my height and weight. I'm certainly open to demoing one.

If you ski the NE at all, you owe it to yourself to demo a pair of SL. If the WC guys are happy with a pair of 165 FIS SL. I am sure it will be more than enough ski for you.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The usual suspects, at first whatever I can easily demo at Killington's demo days in early December, but leaning more to the low 90's: Rossi E94, Enforcer 93, etc. It probably says more about my bias .

With all due respect, I'm seeing a bit of bias in the focus on low 90s - is this meant to replace the Amphibs in the east? There's really not that big a jump between 88 and 93, not for someone your size. Well, maybe you've graduated past them, that happens.

A 98-105 ski is going to be much more of a gap filler between 88 and 115; yes I'm aware I originally said 95 but the 95-97 skis will be chargers to fit your size and I get the impression you don't really want chargers.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With all due respect, I'm seeing a bit of bias in the focus on low 90s - is this meant to replace the Amphibs in the east? There's really not that big a jump between 88 and 93, not for someone your size. Well, maybe you've graduated past them, that happens.

A 98-105 ski is going to be much more of a gap filler between 88 and 115; yes I'm aware I originally said 95 but the 95-97 skis will be chargers to fit your size and I get the impression you don't really want chargers.
Yes, for the east coast, but I want to demo to see what works better for me in the moguls than the Elans. Somehow I don't think it will 100ish.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic FIS SL.jpg
A pair of SL works really well in east coast bumps. Move the mount point forward a couple cm will make the ski more neutral. Makes it almost feel like an all mountain ski. :cool:

Due to the Ikon pass, we'll spend a bit more time in the NE this coming winter so er stocked up on our version of all mountain skis for the NE.
Our NE all mountain ski quiver, for Andrew and I.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Close, I'm an industrial research chemist and I work with lots of engineers. I think I've been corrupted over the last 30 years. :eek:

My wife agreed to getting powder skis (Rossi Sky HD W for her), but still thought we own too many at a total of 5 pairs of skis between us.

I had the same conversation with mrsjmills about a powder ski (Rossi Star 7) but happened to do it the day after buying her the Line Pandora 95 when she didn’t know about them and they were stashed in a closet.
With her adding two skis in a couple days I felt it was the right time for me to mention I would like a ski able to handle Alta powder days (Line Pescado). The perfume box in the photo may have helped also

9702C524-34F7-45F0-8243-86CF2A00C4A0.jpeg

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Picked these up from @Philpug & @Tricia this weekend, when I saw them at the California Ski Company sidewalk sale. So excited!

The quiver has grown. I think I'm good for now, narrow to wide:

2019 DPS Alchemist Cassiar 79, size 160, 123-79-107, 12.5m - on-piste
2018 Renoun Z90 v1.5, size 157, 136-90-124, 15m - all-mountain
2013 Nordica Nemesis, size 154, 133-98-123, 15m - rock skis
2017 Nordica Santa Ana 100, size 161, 131-100-119, 13.5m - all-mountain
2014 Rossignol Star 7, size 162, 140-116-130, 17m - powder skis

IMG_9861.JPG

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Praxis skis arrived so now we have

Current quiver

2018 Volkl Yumi 84 underfloot 168cm
2018 Armada Invictus 89ti 87 underfoot 171cm
2017 Meier Quickdraw 88 underfoot 166cm
2017 Meier Wild Bills 98 underfoot 170cm
2018 Praxis Freeride 104 underfoot 174cm

Picking up 67 underfoot Dynastar carvers this weekend.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@surfsnowgirl - you have three skis within a 4mm waist width - what are their differences/uses?

Haven't figured that out yet. I'd already committed to buying the armadas when i demoed the quickdraws. I'd demoed the yumis almost a year prior and came upon a deal so grabbed them.

I love the quickdraws as they are nimble, pivot easy and are a blast in bumps.

The armadas and yumis will remain to be seen. Will depend on how much i like the armadas whose original purpose was to be a mixed condition ski.

Not sure about the yumi. I know they are fun in powder but need to see how they do in hard pack.

It'll all shake out this coming season. I'll see what gets used the most and go from there.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Picked these up from @Philpug & @Tricia this weekend, when I saw them at the California Ski Company sidewalk sale. So excited!

The quiver has grown. I think I'm good for now, narrow to wide:

2019 DPS Alchemist Cassiar 79, size 160, 123-79-107, 12.5m - on-piste
2018 Renoun Z90 v1.5, size 157, 136-90-124, 15m - all-mountain
2013 Nordica Nemesis, size 154, 133-98-123, 15m - rock skis
2017 Nordica Santa Ana 100, size 161, 131-100-119, 13.5m - all-mountain
2014 Rossignol Star 7, size 162, 140-116-130, 17m - powder skis

View attachment 52097
Its interesting looking at your quiver.
Every single one of your skis does something completely different.
If I were to envision you releasing any one of them it would be the Nemesis, yet it probably still fills a gap in your quiver.
Nice line up.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Its interesting looking at your quiver.
Every single one of your skis does something completely different.
If I were to envision you releasing any one of them it would be the Nemesis, yet it probably still fills a gap in your quiver.
Nice line up.

Thanks @Tricia. That was my goal. There are other skis that pique my interest, but most of them tend to overlap with what I have and I can’t justify the spend (or storage space).

I think this will be the last year of the Nemesis. They’re fun, but now mostly used only in early or late season. The Santa Anas were a good replacement for them, though for my next all mountain, I’ll probably test out some other brands.

The only gap I see is a pure carver - maybe something like the Stockli MX or Firebird Comp (I demo’d that last season) or something similar - though not a high priority at this point. Do you see other gaps?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @Tricia. That was my goal. There are other skis that pique my interest, but most of them tend to overlap with what I have and I can’t justify the spend (or storage space).

I think this will be the last year of the Nemesis. They’re fun, but now mostly used only in early or late season. The Santa Anas were a good replacement for them, though for my next all mountain, I’ll probably test out some other brands.

The only gap I see is a pure carver - maybe something like the Stockli MX or Firebird Comp (I demo’d that last season) or something similar - though not a high priority at this point. Do you see other gaps?
I wish I could tell you there are other gaps but I don't see it.
If you were to get into a masters program or something like that, I could see you getting an SL and GS ski but I also don't see you doing that any time soon.
As for a pure carving ski, you're on the right track, in the meantime that Alchemist trainer is pretty darn fun on groomers.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Dynastars and Praxus skis have arrived which are my last planned acquisitions.

2106 Dynastar Omeglass Speed ti 163cm - carver, early season, low tide ski

2018 Yolkl Yumi 168cm 84 underfoot. Only had the demo in powder so we will see how this does in hard pack/ mixed conditions.

2018 Armada Invictus 89ti 171cm 87 underfoot. Bought on a deal so need to see how it pans out for a mixed condition ski

2017 Meier Quickdraw 166cm 88 underfoot. Mixed condition ski. Very competent in hard pack and super fun in spring bumps

2017 Meier Wild Bills 170cm 98 underfoot. Powder/slush ski. Super fun in powder. Does hard pack decent but not ice.

2018 Praxis Freeride 104 underfoot, 174cm. Plan is for powder/ spring ski. Will come out west with me.

Usually bring a narrower ski out west too so which one is to be decided.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I "think" I have my quiver sorted out for the coming season. I'm still debating if getting a pair of Nordica Enforcer 93's would be beneficial or have too much overlap with what I already have, I'm leaning more towards being too much overlap but we shall see. On any given ski day I will generally have 2 pairs with me for the conditions I'm anticipating the day to bring and will swap skis throughout the day.

Returning - Head Supershape iTitan 177cm , ya know for carving and stuff, 50% daily driver
New - Fischer Ranger 102 FR 184cm, the other 50% of the daily driver
Returning - Black Diamond Boundary Pro 107 184cm w/Shift binding, for obvious use uphill and downhill
New - Icelantic Pioneer 109 190cm, Powder days

Of course there will be pictures eventually but currently the Ranger 102s are still in the mail, the Shift binding is on pre order at my favorite shop, and the Pioneer 109 is also on pre order (Limited edition ski patrol topsheet!).

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have way too much overlap in my quiver. Need to do something about that. In order of smallest to largest...

2018 Salomon QST 99 188cm - rarely ski this, want to replace it with something a little narrower and stiffer

2013 RMU Super CRM 185cm prototype skis that are one core shot away from being trash

2019 - Faction Candide 2.0 184cm - on the way, going to be the "it hasnt snowed in a week, lets go jump off stuff" ski

2018 - Blizzard Rustler 10 188cm - The, it snowed but not much last night ski, my main daily driver.

2018 - Volkl VTA 108 w/ Fristichi Tecton binding 189cm - touring ski, will hopefully get more use coming up

2019 - Blizzard Rustler 11 188cm - unmounted, going to be mounted with a Salomon Shift binding. I need a powder ski with some backbone. "everyday" powder ski that can ski fast and charge when I want to.

2018 Armada JJ 192cm - THE big powder ski, this thing is so much fun but its a 2-3 day a year ski.

Thinking about adding an Enforcer 93 and getting rid of the QST. The wildcard is when I get to try a Black Crows Atris this year, it might be too much fun to pass up.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Got my Renoun Z90’s, so current quiver:

Head Rev 105, 180cm
Renoun Z90, 174cm
Head Rev 85, 177
K2 Apache Oulaw (92mm), 170
Stöckli Spirit SC (65mm) , 175cm.

I don’t really use the Stöckli’s, they’re a 2002 model I picked up in 2012 for $99. They are for icy days which we don’t really get much in the PNW. I think the Rev 85’s will replace the K2’s as my rock skis, leaving a quiver of Rev 105 and Z90.

Next ski will probably be ON3P Billy Goat (116), 179 or 184. After that, I will either drop the Rev 105’s and go with a 2 ski quiver, or find a 100-106 tweener. Or maybe forget the tweener and get a K2 Supercharger or a Rally or something.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@laine I have to say you got me thinking when you asked about my skis in the 80-90 range when you asked what their purposes were because it seemed there was overlap. You were right. I started to think about my Yumi and realized that was one piece in the quiver I really wasn't sure what to do with. I'd been searching for a Head Rally as I loved skiing that last season so much. However, someone listed a Head Titan for sale on here and my hamster wheel started to go hmmm. I decided to forego my Rally search, sell the Yumi and get the Titan. This way I'll have skis at 67 and 80 underfoot which made more sense to me. SL ski will be for early season, low tide days and just days in general when I'm skiing nothing but hard pack. Titan will be when I'd like a little versatility but still want something with lots of hard snow carving props. I still have overlap with my Aramdas at 87 underfoot and my Meier Quickdraws at 88 but I'm going to have to ski the Armadas to see how I feel about them before I made any decisions there. I feel slightly more diversified now ;)

Last edited: