• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nordica Hell and Back (Rock skis)
Volkl 100Eight
Volkl 90Eight
K2 Pinnacle 88 (Experimental Model)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Due to being a (perpetually) advancing intermediate, I've not really built up much of a quiver, but I like what I have for my size (6'6", 230 lb). I've been thinking about adding an east coast powder/crud/mogul ski to round out my quiver. I did like a Fischer Ranger I demoed a few years ago when I selected the Elan's as my all-mountain DD. The Rossi was a blast last season on the groomed runs, but a lot of work for me in crud. I guess both are a bit long in turn radius, which suits my style. The rest are the family's skis.

2013 Elan Amphibio 88XTi, 186 cm, with Look Pivot 12 bindings
2016 Rossignol Hero Elite LT Ti, 183 cm, with Axial 3 bindings

View attachment 32445
Got that Ranger to complete my basic carving/all-mountain/powder 3-ski quiver. My wife doesn't understand why I need more.

Skis:
- 2013 Elan Amphibio Waveflex 88 XTi 186 cm w/Look Pivot 12 bindings
- 2016 Rossignol Hero Elite LT Ti 183 cm w/Axial 3 12 bindings
- 2018 Fischer Ranger 115 XTi 188 cm w/Axial 3 12 Dual bindings
Boots:
- 2016 Lange RS 130 30.5 BSL 346

Last edited by a moderator:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Picking these up in 2 weeks; can't wait

dynastar-omeglass_speed_ti_fluid_x-2016-original.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
More of what?
That comment was made partially in jest, I'm actually set for the coming season. I do plan to demo some 90ish all-mountain skis to compliment the Elans. I'll be looking for a more mogul-friendly ski as the Elans are more carvy even if they cut through the crud well. I have the Rossi's for pure carving conditions. I had thought to go narrower in the Rangers to get a more all-arounder, but decided I could not pass up the excellent price for the 115's and get some powder skis.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Every season I tell myself -- "next year I'm going to keep the same quiver". Every season I fail. I need to take ownership that I'll have at least a ski in or out every year even if it is totally unnecessary. Once I'm in full ski mode I rarely am upset about what I'm skiing on. Its just the August jitters that really get to me.

This years shift is towards a bit softer frontside skis with more playful flex and shapes. This reflects a change in my ski expectations for the year: a lot more time exploring mellower terrain at smaller mountains than I have in the past couple years. More time skiing blue bumps with the better half. Having a more playful / jibby ski will hopefully keep things interesting even if I'm giving up some top end.

As of right now...and liable to change:

Inbounds
- 179 K2 Public Enemy: full camber twin tip with mid-80s waist. Early season groomers or very low tide ski.
- 184 Praxis Piste Jib: rocker/camber/rocker twin tip with 100mm waist. Daily driver.
- 184 Moment Deathwish: r-c-f-c-r with 112 waist and funny micro-camber profile. Fresh snow up to 6-8" and fresh-snow leftovers.
- 184 Moment Bibby (OG model): r-c-r with 116 waist. Most resort pow days.
- 187 Praxis Protest: 128 waist, big pow days, breakable-crust days.

Touring:
-
187 Moment Belafonte: rock touring ski. Makes absolutely no sense as a touring ski as its heavy and stiff. However it is so beat to crap that its perfect for not-worrying early season. May be swapped out with an old pair of Moment Deathwishs.
- 182 Praxis Yeti: main touring ski for anything up to 6"-1' of fresh. Spring touring. Likely Haute Route ski.
- 186 PMGear Lhasa pow: touring ski when freshies are guaranteed. Bindings come off Belas and onto these (binding swap plates) when coverage is adequate.

TBD:
- The unicorn low-tide ski. Something with mid-80s waist, a bit of metal, medium flex, mostly camber, and twin tip. The K2s fit most of this, but could use a bit of metal for dampening and edge-grip.
- Haute Route ski. I think the Yeti is likely to be the ski as I'm very comfortable on it, it's light, and has pretty good grip on hard surfaces. However it's getting pretty long in the tooth at this point, so if I find a Salomon Mtn Explore 95 or similar for cheap...maybe.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Got that Ranger to complete my basic carving/all-mountain/powder 3-ski quiver. My wife doesn't understand why I need more.

Skis:
- 2013 Elan Amphibio Waveflex 88 XTi 186 cm w/Look Pivot 12 bindings
- 2016 Rossignol Hero Elite LT Ti 183 cm w/Axial 3 12 bindings
- 2018 Fischer Ranger 115 XTi 188 cm w/Axial 3 12 Dual bindings
Boots:
- 2016 Lange RS 130 30.5 BSL 346
I can relate.
Nobody in my family could understand why I couldn't just keep skiing my "straight" super-g skis when financial circumstances dictated I pretty much ski small hills in Ontario Canada. (versus distant real mountains where I used to really enjoy skiing at high speeds).

I disregarded their opinion and bought some Fischer WC SCs at a basement bargain price from a bankrupt shop. The next ski was a harder sell, I justified it by the great price, $99.99 for 190 Volant Machette g's in the remainder bin at Sport Check. When it turned out that these couldn't be sharpened at a decent side bevel for ice, I spent $50 for Volant P50 F1 Energy to try and fill that GS hole in the quiver. I still have a hole there; the P50 F1s feel really great - great enough for you to forget yourself and get into trouble, but then when you need to get out of trouble the longitudinal flex is too soft to get you out of it.

I got the skis for next to nothing, but I'm fussy when it comes to bindings, and good bindings (e.g. the FF17+ and Comp 16s I ended up buying) don't come cheap.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Summer quiver:

Fratelli Rabino Roero Arneis
Pierre-Marie Chermette Griottes Beaujolais (2017)
Pierre-Marie Chermette Cremant de Bourgogne
Pindar Vineyards Premier Cuvee
Conti Zecca Sud Est
Standing Stone Riesling

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Meh - Not counting tele or XC skis, there are 16 pair of alpine skis in the house atm, from 155 Stockli FIS sls to 208 Atomic SGs from the race room, and a few in between.

Most recent - 177 130/88/120 17.7m cut, moderately soft manque busters made for myself after four pairs for other people :eek:. In the paint and to the grind tomorrow.

Isn't it supposed to snow soon?

View media item 2819

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can relate.
Nobody in my family could understand why I couldn't just keep skiing my "straight" super-g skis when financial circumstances dictated I pretty much ski small hills in Ontario Canada. (versus distant real mountains where I used to really enjoy skiing at high speeds).

I disregarded their opinion and bought some Fischer WC SCs at a basement bargain price from a bankrupt shop. The next ski was a harder sell, I justified it by the great price, $99.99 for 190 Volant Machette g's in the remainder bin at Sport Check. When it turned out that these couldn't be sharpened at a decent side bevel for ice, I spent $50 for Volant P50 F1 Energy to try and fill that GS hole in the quiver. I still have a hole there; the P50 F1s feel really great - great enough for you to forget yourself and get into trouble, but then when you need to get out of trouble the longitudinal flex is too soft to get you out of it.

I got the skis for next to nothing, but I'm fussy when it comes to bindings, and good bindings (e.g. the FF17+ and Comp 16s I ended up buying) don't come cheap.
Well, I didn't get the kind of bargains you did, but I paid about 50 % of the original price for each. Not enough to brag about on that other thread. Except the boots, for which not surprisingly I paid full price and fully expect to the next time given my size. They had to be special ordered.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That comment was made partially in jest, I'm actually set for the coming season. I do plan to demo some 90ish all-mountain skis to compliment the Elans. I'll be looking for a more mogul-friendly ski as the Elans are more carvy even if they cut through the crud well. I have the Rossi's for pure carving conditions. I had thought to go narrower in the Rangers to get a more all-arounder, but decided I could not pass up the excellent price for the 115's and get some powder skis.

Sorry Marker. You must be an engineer. :D

Men and women often differs when it comes to quantity. Mamie and I have had these more of what conversations more times than I care to remember.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry Marker. You must be an engineer. :D

Men and women often differs when it comes to quantity. Mamie and I have had these more of what conversations more times than I care to remember.

Close, I'm an industrial research chemist and I work with lots of engineers. I think I've been corrupted over the last 30 years. :eek:

My wife agreed to getting powder skis (Rossi Sky HD W for her), but still thought we own too many at a total of 5 pairs of skis between us.

Sponsor

Staff online