• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your exploding-thread post-count resistance threshold?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a thing that happens to me. I see a new thread pop up that looks intriguing - say, the"cold junk" or "alternative term for quiver" thread this week. But by the time I get around actually to opening it, I see with dismay that there are hundreds of posts already, and just skip it. Basically I'm too lazy or busy to want to invest the time to get up to speed. Depending on my interest level in the nominal topic, this usually happens somewhere between 25 and 75 posts on a new thread.

James

Out There
Instructor
For this thread? Uh, one? -j/k

Tou could do what 4 out of 5 somebodies do and just comment without reading the whole thread. Chances are if you read the current page it's an entirely different thread than the title anyway. With that, there's no limit.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The internet rule of thumb on thread length is three page. Once it hits three pages..everything past that usually has already been said. In that note, Our average thread length on Pugski is about 22 posts....most forums are about 10...which shows our engagement is over double the average.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Once it hits three pages..everything past that usually has already been said.

Good thing I always set my pages to 100 posts. ;)

Everything that needed to be say in the "Look -- Bring back the Pivot 15!" was said in the thread title. But every subsequent post was necessary.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I think maybe roughly three is my limit as well. I don't like repeating what others have said and if it's too long for me to bother reading, I usually (not always) walk. I confess to being irritated when it's clear that someone has jumped in without catching up. Especially for threads about "where should I go" where the OP has made up his mind and booked the trip and maybe even been there and posted a trip report. Inevitably the late arrival is picking a fight about the destination.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My limit is around 30 posts. Once reponses repeat themselves or make it about themselves rather than the original post, the thread has lost it's way. Notable exceptions are the stoke threads. Keeping up on current conditions keep them fresh.

Other turn offs are incredibly detailed technique threads that seem more religion than help. Present the evidence and let the reader decide. If they get it, good. If not, move on.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have trouble when someone revives an old thread and then I can't remember if or what I previously posted.

Also I almost never click on posts in the ski instructor forum because analyzing is what ski instructors do for a living and over analyzing to the extreme is what they do online.

After typing the above I have noticed that the first 4 letters of analyze = anal...hmmm.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The internet rule of thumb on thread length is three page. Once it hits three pages..everything past that usually has already been said. In that note, Our average thread length on Pugski is about 22 posts....most forums are about 10...which shows our engagement is over double the average.
I will add something that I keep reiterating, when you are replying in a thread, you are not only replying to the person asking the question but also the hundreds...and thousands that are also reading the thread who might have the same question and are afraid to ask. The Quiver thread has 55 posts and about 850 views right now, the Cold Junk has 128 posts and 1850 views. Those 850 and and 1850 views are not just members but readers/guests/"lurkers" on the site. If you want to see what "lurkers" are looking at, here is an interesting area to look at from time to time... Current Visitors you can see where members, guests and robots (search engines) are looking. I think you will be surprised what older threads are being looked at and this is when they sometimes get bunped.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Re: a thread that's new to me...
If it's something of serious interest to me, I'll start it no matter how many pages but may just go 20 or 40 or 60 posts, then come back later and gradually catch up.
Moderate interest, I'll read the first 20 posts and then as above or drop it.
Low interest, up to 20.
I do think that answering questions without reading to see if your answer has already been given by one, three or a dozen others is rather lame.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It really depends. This site still is desktop/tablet heavy. As more people switch to using mobile, I believe you get more comments with out reading previous posts as much. I.E. Facebook :)

@Tony S the solution is never leave the site.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
As a retired guy I have more chance to read posts than the working folks, so I would say about 5 pages is my limit. FWIW years ago I did take a speed reading class not that it matters when reading on line.