• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I actually use Marvel Mystery Oil......again I am cheap and I use it for other things....wish they had tested it.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
lol Olive Oil is better than most things.....to bad its not cheaper.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
let us know if you try the recipe in the article. :thumb:

I'm not going for the crock pot. The waxing iron will work just fine.

I'll save the cold wax for cold days ;-)

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
let us know if you try the recipe in the article. :thumb:

Well, It's rainy and hot, muggy. So I did Hot wax the chain. I used "pink ski wax" SWIX stuff.

Pressed up on the lower chain run with a hot iron, applied wax by scraping on to the upper surface of links and roller, then waited for the wax to melt in. About 30 seconds per iron length. Repeat until the entire chain is treated.

VERY QUIET CHAIN when done. I'll go give it some gravel road time when it cools off a bit. Looks good to me, Not a messy process, but a bit tedious and way more work than just spraying lube on. Oh, Cleaning the chain prior to waxing added to the time.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm glad you found that test, I remember reading it in VeloNews. I used ProGold until I read that test. Funny thing is though that when you look at the scale and ignore the absolute worst performers, the difference is like 1 watt, which is basically nothing (unless you are doing a time trial in the Tour!).

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Ummm I actually have 100s of lb of lard and tallow and my house dont tempt me.

You should try it, but if you do, I will never ride behind you. The coyotes chasing you will probably make for great training though!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Umm.. I’m curious why you have so much lard & tallow?

https://fatchancesoap.com/

I dont think that youd be chase by anything. What Erik doesnt know is that the sunblock/bug repellent I wear all the time is made from it. It wouldnot be back fat so it would be odorless.

Last edited:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I might try coconut oil. That stuff will re-liquefy every time it's used.

But then the lanolin based "Fluid Film" might be an option. It creeps, and liquefies easily.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pro Gold Extreme (aerosol). The only wax-style lube I've ever tried that isn't close to dead in three hours of really hard pedaling. It's a wax-based lube with some petroleum additive to give it longer life.

For the absolute longest life, Finish Line Wet is tough to beat, and penetrates better when a little aerosol brake cleaner is used to cut it a bit.

The real key to chain lubing is to lube the day before your ride!

And brushing, of course. Nothing better than a roto-brushed chain! :roflmao:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I like R&R Gold. Lots of dust out here and my chain stays clean and shifts beautifully. I also roto brush my chain:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
White Lightning clean ride on my commuter/gravel/cx bike. I dislike having to actually clean my drivetrain and this does a pretty good job at keeping clean to start with. I wipe and reapply about once a week.

Things change for the winter on my fat bike, most normal lubes we use don't work and can actually freeze up the chain so my local shop and most of the winter riders are running Boeshield T-9. It doesn't freeze up, is pretty much self cleaning, and chases water out of chains if you accidentally hit some overflow. We also use it instead of grease to winterize peddles and wheel bearings cause grease don't work so well in the cold.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I actually use Marvel Mystery Oil......again I am cheap and I use it for other things....wish they had tested it.

I ran out of prolube so started using PB Blaster which I had sitting on the work bench. It contains naptha and petroleum distillates. It lubes well and keeps the chain cleaner than the prolube.

A couple years ago I bought the $30 Park Tool Cylone chain cleaner device. It sat around unopened until I decided to try it a few months ago. It works very well with straight Simple Green.

Sponsor