• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Nope, I own some. It never seemed better than my normal wax and it looks ugly when you scrape them. Plus, if I recall correctly (and I may not it's been so long) it gives me these strange bubbles.

To me, the hot scraping doubles for repeated wax cycles. Which I would be doing anyway at the beginning of the season. I might save the "hot scrape" but then I'd have to add wax, cool, and scrape cycles to make up for it! Lol!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
OK, I'll chime in now.
Based on your suggestion last year Jacques I bought some of that stuff and have used it a number of times. At first using your technique (fiberlene under a brush) and it definitely does turn the fiberlene a little dark, but never seemed to remove that much.

Hot scraping seems to remove more for me.

That said this year instead of the normal Dominator Renew, I got a block of the Graphite Renew, and hot scraping with that as you point out, you can't tell whether it's dirt or the wax. When I used the other stuff it definitely turned pretty dark the first two applications, definitely taking out more dirt than the Cleaner seems to

I will however keep experimenting with it this season, maybe use more of it when I clean, now I spray a fine mist on and wipe it around. I also have used it to clean off my plastic scraper.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
OK, I'll chime in now.
Based on your suggestion last year Jacques I bought some of that stuff and have used it a number of times. At first using your technique (fiberlene under a brush) and it definitely does turn the fiberlene a little dark, but never seemed to remove that much.

Hot scraping seems to remove more for me.

That said this year instead of the normal Dominator Renew, I got a block of the Graphite Renew, and hot scraping with that as you point out, you can't tell whether it's dirt or the wax. When I used the other stuff it definitely turned pretty dark the first two applications, definitely taking out more dirt than the Cleaner seems to

I will however keep experimenting with it this season, maybe use more of it when I clean, now I spray a fine mist on and wipe it around. I also have used it to clean off my plastic scraper.

Good feed back. The Glide Wax Cleaner needs to be laid down heavy, brushed with nylon and allowed to work a while before you wipe.
Yes, I have taken to backing the wiper with the brush. Works really well. Final wipes with hand.

Could it be that with the cleaner, your bases were not that dirty. Could it be that hot scraping was helping you to remove more black base material? Hot plastic scrapes off base more than one might think.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
The main thing I noticed was how much easier the crayon process goes. Now the wax comes off the brick in such a smooth schhmmmmeear it puts the "I can't believe it's not butter" commercial to shame.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
That just sounds like the base had more friction, possibly due to wax being removed and the base being dry. It doesn't sound like a positive thing. Think how it would feel to crayon a freshly waxed ski. Maybe it's just your description?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
That just sounds like the base had more friction, possibly due to wax being removed and the base being dry. It doesn't sound like a positive thing. Think how it would feel to crayon a freshly waxed ski. Maybe it's just your description?

Couldn't be. The Swix Glide Wax Cleaner does not dry the base. The wax will still be there. Only the grease and other crap will be removed.

Take a pair of skis. Use wax remover, or some base cleaner and use it on one of them.
Then use Glide Wax Cleaner on the other.
Let them both dry. Then brush them out and see the difference. This assumes the skis were well prepared with wax prior, but the same skis.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
When you really want them clean so you can start over without a grind....
Be careful, it may etch the sidewalls, degrease the bindings and knock you to lala land.
But if you want to take wax and grease off a surface, it gets results.

View attachment 58145

On the other hand, if you just want to take off hydrocarbons, silicones and fluros without too much penetration ..

View attachment 58146
As used in Joe's Garage ever since ski boots had laces...

View attachment 58147

Paying $100/gallon for solvents that cost $10/gal just isn't my thing.
But, what would I know, I'm only a PhD Chemical Engineer with 30 years making chemicals...

MSDS
http://www.swixsport.com/content/download/7410/442371/version/1/file/I84C_0005_04-08-2015_EN.pdf

This on sale at the local bumper to bumper
https://www.autoparts2020.com/autobody-master/paint-prep-wax-grease-remover-abm-5900-1
http://www.autobodymaster.com/msds/ABM/5900.pdf

Prep-all msds http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GSW362_SDS-1700.4.pdf

I'll try the $15/gallon of Auto Body Master for a test. I need it for its intended use too. :)

Davec1

Booting up
Skier
if you just want to take off hydrocarbons, silicones and fluros without too much penetration ..

View attachment 58146

What is the active ingredient in Prep All? We don't have it here in Australia.

The most common and readily available car paint prep solution seems to be Acetone, which I assume is too harsh for just taking some grease, sap and gunk out but not rip everything apart like brake cleaner?

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS Concentration RTECS #
64742-49-0 Hydrotreated light naphtha 60.0 -100.0 % NA
64742-47-8 Hydrotreated light distillate (petroleum) 7.0 -13.0 % OA5504000
108-88-3 Toluene {Benzene, Methyl-; Toluol} < 5.0 %
XS5250000 Additional Chemical Specific percentage of composition is being withheld as a trade secret.

Davec1

Booting up
Skier
3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS Concentration RTECS #
64742-49-0 Hydrotreated light naphtha 60.0 -100.0 % NA
64742-47-8 Hydrotreated light distillate (petroleum) 7.0 -13.0 % OA5504000
108-88-3 Toluene {Benzene, Methyl-; Toluol} < 5.0 %
XS5250000 Additional Chemical Specific percentage of composition is being withheld as a trade secret.

Thanks @Dwight.

I see that it's a mix of predominantly petrochemicals. Given that Klean Strip products are not sold here in Australia, I can't order a can of Prep All.

Do you know what other names an equivalent product / the main active ingredients would be marketed as?

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Prep All is just a brand name for the solvent mix used to take off wax, grease and silicone before painting.
I get it at an auto body repair supply place but in the US you can get a similar product at any auto parts store that sells paint.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Prep All is just a brand name for the solvent mix used to take off wax, grease and silicone before painting.
I get it at an auto body repair supply place but in the US you can get a similar product at any auto parts store that sells paint.
How long have you been using this and any pointers on how you apply … etc? I have been using a citrus based wax remover but always interested in other products like this

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
How long have you been using this and any pointers on how you apply … etc? I have been using a citrus based wax remover but always interested in other products like this
@Dakine have you used the spray version that is designed for wax? That looks super convenient.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
There is a product that body and fender shops sometimes use to clean a vehicle before painting. It was made by DuPont and they called it Prep-Sol, I have some in the garage somewhere if I can find it I will post a photo of the can. That is what I use to clean my skis and it always worked for me. I purchased a gallon years ago and it lasts a long time, because a little goes a long way.
WP_20190518_21_22_23_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
@Dakine do you know anything about that DuPont Prep - Sol product? I have used it for a long time with no issues. If I need to stop using it I would like to know.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I use turps. Pure Pine Turpentine.
I like the way it smells.

Or I hot scrape with Gulf canning wax. I'm not particular, skis are tools.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dakine do you know anything about that DuPont Prep - Sol product? I have used it for a long time with no issues. If I need to stop using it I would like to know.

Once again the main ingredient is Naphtha. That is the main ingredient in most prep, wax, grease removers.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I use cheaper prep solvents early in a paint job but the DuPont 3919s is the best when you are going to spray the final coats.
DuPont sold its paint biz so that solvent is now called something else.
It works just great for a light base clean.

Uncle-A

Skier
I use a pump sprayer for prep solvent and use it for all sorts of things.
https://www.tptools.com/Colad-Pump-Sprayer,3228.html
Looks like a smaller version of a garden sprayer, but I bet it works just fine. Back when I was in school I used something like that for a large application of wood stain, spray on rub in. It cut down on the time of staining a large wooden chest. The instructor was hesitant at first to let me try it but when he saw the result in such a short time he changed his mind.

Sponsor

Staff online